main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    You know what actually helped TPM...? Extended Podrace. For some reason, the 30 seconds or so that were "re-intergrated" completely fixed the podrace for me. I would have never have thought making the podrace longer was the answer.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think the first appearance of Sidious was what did it for me. I saw his hologram, I heard the Emperor's theme, he said "Viceroy, I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again" and I just thought: "I love Star Wars!" :)

3. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Is that...... LeeeGal?

I Will Make it Legal.

4. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I think it's rather cool that the prequels have a cult following. I don't think I would enjoy them as much if they were mainstream films.

Word.

Though it is shallow how my tendancies to go against the grain and contradict the majority effect my enjoyment of a movie or any piece of art. I often times wonder what sort of things I would be into were hype not an issue. I think they would be in the same ballpark as the things I like now, though. Usually hype just enhances whatever I feel already and hardly ever disperses all interest, though, there have been times where the interest wasn't thatpresent when it did indeed leave me entirely.

5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Huzzah, I shall soon be Colonel rank, oh happy days :cool:

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    When Episode III comes out SLAVE2, where are you going to put Episode III in your signature as we only have five lines? 8-}

7. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    When EPIII is released and he can view the complete saga, he'll only need one line. ;)

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I dunno. "Star Wars: 60/60" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think we need to divide by zero in our rankings, just to have a little fun.

// thread explodes

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    We can just times our rankings by 1.66666666666 to get a score out of 100! :p

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    You know what I did yesterday? I watched TPM(because it had been a while and I felt that urge) and I decided to really concentrate and try to see it through the eyes of a first-timer. I put all my knowledge of Star Wars aside and tried to see what someone who doesn't know the first thing about Star Wars would see while watching TPM.
    It was refreshing to say the least! After a while, I was totally into it and it was like this was the only Star Wars film out there. I discovered that watching Star Wars for the first time is like actually going to that galaxy far, far away and just watch what people are doing. You get to know that you're in a Republic that's currently in turmoil because of a trade dispute and that two Jedi Knights, guardians of peace and justice, have been sent out to settle things. That's it. Then you're on your own.
    You see the two Jedi and you understand that they are master and apprentice. You also understand that these guys are dangerous, since the Federation guys are so scared. You learn that the Trade Federation is under the influence of an angry Lord that's probably also very dangerous. Then you get to see why the Feds are scared of the Jedi. Perfect introduction!
    Then more characters are introduced: Amidala, Palpatine, Panaka, Jar Jar.... Through this, you learn more and more about the galaxy you're in. You hear the Jedi mention the Force and you probably realise that it's something spiritual.
    They escape and try to get to the capital and get help from the senate. However, they have to go somewhere else first to get the ship fixed. Off we go on some exciting adventure!
    Meanwhile, Darth Maul is introduced. By now, you're probably totally into it and can't wait to see what happens next.
    On Tatooine, Anakin Skywalker is introduced and you learn some details about the Force and the Jedi. For instance, only Jedi carry laserswords. Anakin turns out to be a great podracer and it's clear that he will be a central character for the rest of the film. Before he goes with the others to Coruscant though, Darth Maul appears and begins to fight Qui-Gon. This is the first time you ever see a Jedi/Sith duel and the first time you see that the Sith use laserswords too.
    This is beginning to get really good! :)
    They escape and reach the capital. An awesome planet, home to the senate and the Jedi council. You hear some details about the Sith and the dark side and you see the senate. Stuff that makes you long for more(especially about the dark side), but that will have to wait for another episode.
    Anakin wasn't accepted, off we go! Back to Naboo and into battle. It's a massive battle which is fought in space, on grass, in the castle and in the hangar. Anakin saves the day and Obi-Wan promises Qui-Gon to train the boy.
    The stage is set for the real deal!

I realised that TPM is very small in scale and even more similar to ANH than I thought it was. I actually got the same feeling out of it that I got from watching ANH for the first time. It's exciting, it's fun, it has a relatively small conflict and it stands great on it's own, since it's not so strongly connected to AOTC. This feeling is enhanced by the fact that Palpatine is only senator, Amidala is Queen and both Qui-Gon and Maul die in it. In AOTC, they're mere memories.
    It's in AOTC that the real story begins. That's why it's called Attack of the Clones - the war begins there.

11. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Just to remind everyone, please send me a PM when you have qualified for a promotion. The promotions of course are based on post count and the scale is as follows:

1-32.........Private
    33-249......Corporal
    250-499.....Lieutenant
    500-999.....Captain
    1000-1999..Major
    2000-4999..Lieutenant Colonel
    5000+........Colonel

12. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Good Post Lars.

TPM is Really the "Once upon a time..." Part of the Star Wars Myth. It Gives us a glimpse of "the Good Ol' Days" through slightly rose-tinted glasses. Everything is Vibrant, Fresh, and Exciting. But the Undercurrent of Decay is there. The Good Ol' Days are really over and the Galaxy is unaware of it. People Go About there Lives, solve problems the way they always have... all without realising that there way of thought is rapidly becoming obsolete.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    TPM Defense Force

Fleet Commodore: DarthSeti5

TPMDF Executive Council:
    - Strilo, Head / Executive Officer
    - "Dash" -_-_-_-_-_-, Second / Morale

Red Squadron:
    -------------

Red 1 / Red Leader: DarthSeti5 (Commodore) (Sec Off)
    Red 2: Leto II (Lieutenant)
    Red 3: JarJarJedi (Major)
    Red 4: Palpazzar (Captain)
    Red 5: Art_Core (Lieutenant Colonel)
    Red 6: DarthBoba (Colonel)
    Red 7: DarthHomer (Lieutenant Colonel)
    Red 8: Kesel (Captain)
    Red 9: NathanDahlin (Colonel)
    Red 10: Q187 (Lieunenant Colonel)
    Red 11: JediMaster_Prowl (Lieutenant)
    Red 12: Adali-Kiri (Lieutenant Colonel)

Blue Squadron:
    --------------

Blue 1 / Blue Leader: Darth-Mauls-Torso (General)
    Blue 2: Sith1 (Captain)
    Blue 3: Kit (Corporal)
    Blue 4: Qui-Gonn Jinn (Captain)
    Blue 5: Ender_Sai (Corporal)
    Blue 6: Jedi Vince (Corporal)
    Blue 7: TurtleChick (Private)
    Blue 8: JediDavex (Major)
    Blue 9: HandyMaiden (Corporal)
    Blue 10: droidrunner (Private)
    Blue 11: CyberFett (Corporal)
    Blue 12: Vader3 (Corporal)

Gold Squadron:
    --------------

Gold 1 / Gold Leader: TPMrules23 (Commander) (Sec Off)
    Gold 2: darthmalt16 (Major)
    Gold 3: dolphin (Major)
    Gold 4: JM_Corran_Horn (Lieutenant)
    Gold 5: TheGreatWhoDunnit (Corporal)
    Gold 6: Red_Forever (Corporal)
    Gold 7: Jedi_Knight_Jerr (Corporal)
    Gold 8: Shaved_Wookie (Corporal)
    Gold 9: mjerome3 (Lieutenant Colonel)
    Gold 10: Padawanboy (Lieutenant)
    Gold 11: Fartoo-Deeto (Corporal)
    Gold 12: baggles (Major)

Green Squadron:
    ---------------

Green 1 / Green Leader: Lukecash (Commander)
    Green 2: Black-Knight (Private)
    Green 3: ValedaKor (Lieutenant)
    Green 4: amidalass (Private)
    Green 5: Maul5 (Corporal)
    Green 6: TC517 (Corporal)
    Green 7: CommanderSoontirFel (Corporal)
    Green 8: SuperSaiyanVegeta (Corporal)
    Green 9: darthfrede (Major)
    Green 10: Darth Arash (Captain)
    Green 11: Grey1 (Lieutenant)
    Green 12: PMT99 (Captain)

Gray Squadron:
    --------------

Gray 1 / Gray Leader: darthsidious32 (Commander)
    Gray 2: Kiame_Jinn (Corporal)
    Gray 3: Metsuke (Major)
    Gray 4: Sandrock (Private)
    Gray 5: Red_Leader (Corporal)
    Gray 6: Rakima_55 (Private)
    Gray 7: Anakin_Sleepwalker (Lieutenant)
    Gray 8: ViolaSmurf (Corporal)
    Gray 9: Rigen (Private)
    Gray 10: GrandMoffTarkin (Major)
    Gray 11: Darth_Maul_68745 (Private)
    Gray 12: darth_morgana (Captain)

Rogue Squadron:
    ---------------

Rogue 1 / Rogue Leader: Strilo (Commander)
    Rogue 2: Wo-Begon_JediKnight (Private)
    Rogue 3: Ohkee_Doak (Private)
    Rogue 4: General_Veers (Corporal)
    Rogue 5: Jedi_Apprentice_Celt (Lieutenant)
    Rogue 6: Kitt327 (Captain)
    Rogue 7: Darth Jamus (Major)
    Rogue 8: JediMasterThreepio (Private)
    Rogue 9: Rogue_Squad_Leader (Corporal)
    Rogue 10: DarthGunray (Corporal)
    Rogue 11: Boba_Phat (Major)
    Rogue 12: Kwenn (Major)

Bravo Squadron:
    ---------------

Bravo 1 / Bravo Leader: Harabec (Commander)
    Bravo 2: PadawanLearner (Corporal)
    Bravo 3: TheEmperorsHand (Lieutenant Colonel)
    Bravo 4: Anakin_Skywalker (Lieutenant)
    Bravo 5: QueenSabe7 (Lieutenant Colonel)
    Bravo 6: PEZman4 (Major)
    Bravo 7: Amidelta (Lieutenant)
    Bravo 8: LordMoltar (Lieutenant)
    Bravo 9: Darth_Jaxon (Corporal)
    Bravo 10: El_Emperador (Lieutenant)
    Bravo 11: mn02 (Corporal)
    Bravo 12: Darth_name (Captain)

Wraith Squadron:
    ----------------

Wraith 1 /

14. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    Finally A Squad to Call My Own...

And I am A Nubian to boot!!

I will Defend The Phantom Menace well... You can be sure of that.

15. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Thanks for your reply, Dodd :)
    TPM really is the good ol' days(the "Once upon a time", as you so eloquently put it) and I'm beginning to think you weren't coming.... Oops, I did a Star Wars liner [face_blush]
    What I meant was that I'm beginning to think that TPM is my favorite episode. It's just so full of beautiful introductions, fun action, really good characters and a sort of "cozy" plot, if you know what I mean. It's a bit isolated from the rest of the saga and it's the best episode to watch if you're only gonna watch one of them.

16. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Lott Dodd and Bloddfin welcome to Nubian Squadron I'm your Commander anidanami124. In fact welcome to all that a part of Nubian Squadron. :)

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Welcome new people! I would also like to announce some new ranks:

1-32...............Private
    33-249............Corporal
    250-499..........Lieutenant
    500-999..........Captain
    1000-1999.......Major
    2000-4999.......Lieutenant Colonel
    5000-8000........Colonel
    8000-12000......General
    12000+ ...........Brigadier General

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Geez! I finally make it to Colonel and then you set two more ranks! :mad: :p

When Episode III comes out SLAVE2, where are you going to put Episode III in your signature as we only have five lines?

I'll deal with that problem when we get there ;) Perhaps I'll just alternate the Episode's in my sig daily, 1,2,3,4,5, then 2,3,4,5,6, then 1,3,4,5,6 etc. Who knows? :p Maybe I'll do like Sith Interceptor said and use 1 line :cool: Or maybe Episode III will never arrive and Star Wars will never end!

19. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Was that Brigadier General rank, taken from my request? :D

20. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Geez! I finally make it to Colonel and then you set two more ranks!

We don't like you Slave, and we're doing everything in our power to see that you do not progress as a user.

;)

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Welcome Darth_Fless to the DF. Nice work. :)

22. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Hey, TPM rocks! This is a great thread to follow.

I have a 2-year old son who loves SW - espcially the battle droids ("Roger-Roger").

I have to admit I use him as an excuse to watch the movies. "Hey Sam, want to watch Star Wars instead of cartoons?"

23. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    As a sworn enemy of this Sanctuary it is good to see these lists of names and know who the killer droids should be sent for !! Mwa haa haa haa haa !!!

But not droids that say rodger, rodger, in silly voices, oh no, not them ! I'll be sending the robots in that Tom Sellick movie/Gene Simons movie 'Runaway', which kill people and are scary !

:)

On a serious (kind of) note I suppose as a 'basher', I'm surprised to say so many 'card carrying' TPM defenders. You hear so many complaints that the boards are 'filled with bashers' and lookie here, see how many 'official' defenders there are ! Certainly far more than bashers. Good for you, looks like you're all having fun with it !

According to your 'system', using it of course in parralel as your opposite, I would be a 'Basher Captain' :D Gee, that sounds pretty good !!

Basher Captain SHB reporting for duty !!

Hmm, pretty good. Of course I'd never convince the ole' fuddy duddies in the Sanctuary to adopt such a system could I ?

Hmm.......

SHB JR
    Who's killing time in the office, seeing how the other half live........ At least happy hour is at six :)

24. ...and justice for MAUL

...and justice for MAUL Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2000
    So I guess I'm here because TPM rocks. :)

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Lady Sami here. By your rankings, if we had rankings in the Basher's sanctuary, I would be a colonel. So, Colonel Lady Sami hereby remands Capt. SBH JR to the sanctuary for a flogging! ;)

I really liked Liam Neeson as Qui Gon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.