main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    If the actor was asked to play his role in Episode II as Valorum he might of rejected it because he was embarassed with the first one?

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I seriously doubt the quality of TPM had anything to do with the lack of Valorum's appearance in AOTC. Any further appearances by him were unncessary from a storytelling POV as he was not pivtol to the plot.

3. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Give me Palpatine over Valorum anyday. ;)

4. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    ...might of...

[self=grammar freak]

That should be "might've," a contraction of "might have" -- not "might of."

[/self]

...rejected it because he was embarassed with the first one?

From interview bits with Stamp, that's kind of what I was given to understand. He disliked how much of his part required blue screen and how that meant he didn't get to perform while looking at Natalie during the Senate scenes. He made it sound like he detested the experience so much and that that was what lead to him not coming back.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm not disputing where his character would be best to re-appear, I'm only stating that apparently he was suppose to be in AOTC. I'd love to know doing what. Well, I have a feeling the scene would have gotten axed anyway. They axed a good number of political scenes in AOTC.

6. The_SAGA

The_SAGA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    I had not heard anything about an overhaul for TPM.
    What did you hear, SAGA?

I was looking through the holonet and I saw an article where someone said that TPM was getting a full overhaul. Sorry cant find it now but I'll look for it. Didnt seem like a joke at the time.

7. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It doesn't make much sense doing an overhaul on a five year old film. It's a shame all filmmakers can't be like the Wachowski Brothers and get their vision right the first time.

8. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The two of them -- she: the highest positioned person in her society; he: exiled from his people -- come together here in this scene/state that their two peoples are connected. And in that instant, Amidala begins to see the plan that will save not her planet but their planet.

Vacantlook, you have my commendations. Very well analyzed and perceptive view of this scene. Briliant catch! :)

9. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    Thank you, openmind; I appreciate the compliment.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    A rare post here...

"It's a shame all filmmakers can't be like the Wachowski Brothers and get their vision right the first time."

If you are referring only to The Matrix, I would agree with you whole-heartedly. If you are also referring to Reloaded and Revolutions, then I wouldn't.

11. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I second the motion by MaybeJedi. And move that I'd rather watch TPM than sit through Revolutions again.
    (And those who know and love me know that is a major thing. I can say I .. tremble... like ... tremble....TPM better than Revoloutions.

SHB JR

12. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "The Matrix is overrated." - Mace Windy

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I find it really disappointing that most people cannot appreciate the complexity of the Matrix trilogy because it is so well thought out and written, rich with philosophical, religious, and pop culture parallels/allusions.

14. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    The Matrix's philosophy is too sophomoric and the other-source allusions (i.e. Alice In Wonderland) are too blatant and in the viewer's face for my personal tastes. I think I enjoy subtlty a bit more than what the Matrix movies give me. I've enjoyed the Matrix movies but they don't blow me away.

15. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Complexity? I found it rather flat and lacking in depth. Everything in The Matrix made sense within the context of the film, but the sequels strayed way over to their Japanese anime roots to the point where things "made sense" to the characters, but not necessarily to the audience. Not to mention the amount of monotonous rhetorical questions that were little more than an attempt to put spaces in between the action sequences.

16. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Qui-Gon_Jinn/007.jpg]

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Indeed the sunset is apropos. Things move forward always and to do that, the TPM Defense Force has been moved to the SW Community forum. If you would like to know why, please visit this thread.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, the darkest night must give way to the dawn and for a time, the Defense Force is back for a bit of nostalgia. I invite you all to read through for a taste of how things were around here in 2003-2004. :)

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL does anyone here even remember what this thread was?

20. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Another classic, yet "before-my-time" thread. However , judging by the thread's title, I'd go out on a limb and say this thread is dedicated to defending TPM as a film from those who feel it was a disappointment.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We had a roster. And there were squadrons. And people had ranks. :-B

22. baggles

baggles Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Ahhhh yes. This thread brings back great memories!

10 years really goes by quickly..
    Hopefully we don't have to wait that long for Blue Ray DVD with the Digital Yoda inserted!

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I would buy the entire saga on Blu Ray. I just have no idea if Lucas will do it...

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He eventually will- Lucas and McCallum had early knowledge of a "blue laser" format of DVD, which I'm fairly certain is what became blu-ray, and it was part of why Lucas was so hesitant to release TPM on DVD.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Seriously? [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.