main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually I think all three Jurassic Park films are about equal. All three have strengths and weaknesses and are merely good popcorn flicks.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ... and it's fairly reasonable to say that you are equating TPM with this gross finger. Forced analogy - it doesn't hold up.

The pinky analogy was Gomer's, my response was to that. And it holds up just fine. Would you want to lose the whole hand? Fact is - you don't have to make the choice, same as I don't have to choose to regard the 6 SW films as a whole, I can seperate the two trilogies if I wish to.

Oh, and Godfather IS a trilogy. Not calling it a trilogy is just not right

sounds like someone's trying to force their opinion ;)

1) Why even bother taking imdb members serious? 90% of them are morons anyway. Same goes for AICN.

Was there a poll? :p

2) WHY is Godfather III so bad?

It's not that bad, it just isn't in the same league as the first 2.

Most people just tend to bash sequels (or in SW case Prequels) just because of a time gap between the releases:
    Matrix 1999, Sequels 2003

I don't think that holds up, T2 was 7 years later and that's generally well received, same with Aliens. Converseley - I've bashed Revolutions and that was only 5 months after Reloaded.

g

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Star Wars can indeed be viewed as two trilogies as well as one hexology. The trilogies do work on their own. One is a tragedy(sad ending), the other a comedy(happy ending).
    All in all, it's a versatile saga that spans generations. Many of us(kids and adults alike) have had many a fine moment with TPM. Others have not.

That's all.

4. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I think TPM may always be concidered the "worst" of them all.

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    one musnt jump to conclusions... we havent seen ROTS yet.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Your lack of vision is mindblowing. I can see the whole saga in front of me and know that TPM is a very good opening. Why can't you?
    I guess that's the price you have to pay when you insist on viewing Star Wars as six separate movies, even though it's not.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I am starting to get the impression that some of these people actually think TPM is a bad film.

8. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Really? Then why are they posting in a TPM forum [face_thinking]
    (It may have something to do wih repressed love ;) )

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well in the case of this topic, we are talking about people who post at IMDB.

10. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    But there are people on this forum who don't seem to like the movie either [face_thinking]

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Now that doesn't seem possible.

Why would you say that?

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    It's just a feeling I get sometimes - I don't know why [face_thinking]

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Because we know better. ;)

14. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "But there are people on this forum who don't seem to like the movie either"

i would go further to say this is about the only place where there are people who do like this movie, and about the only place people even talk about it, but this is a star wars board, so that is understandable. elsewhere, in the rest of the world, TPM is a fading memory that only comes up for discussion when things like the worst Star Wars film poll comes along.

15. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    I wouldn't say that, DrE. Many people here claim to have met people on the outside who "love" the movie. Then again, I always figured this as a playground; you know there's always the one kid with the imaginary friend or makes outrageous claims like living in a mansion or having a dad "who's a millionaire" or a "ninja," yet can't actually PROVE IT. It's mostly for the attention, so the other kids pretty much humor him. ;)

16. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    And i guess if you say otherwise, then that suddenly DOES amount to "proof"?

17. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking - until I came here, I'd never met anyone who didn't like TPM, but once I got here, I learnt the truth that the whole world hates it ;)
    After all, if you're told something by about a dozen people on the internet, it must be true, mustn't it? ;)

18. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    I suppose that all the people who like TPM here simply 'vanish' when they log off (IF they log off) and simply don't exist in the real world.

Interesting theory [face_thinking]

19. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    they dont vanish... they are just the only ones. nothing against them. they are real people with real valid opinions... i just dont see them anywhere but here.

20. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I meet them in real life [face_thinking]

21. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    But the fact that "we" exist proves that "people" actually 'meet' "people" that like TPM

So unless you think of yourself as some ultimate standard to be measured against, i don't see what your whole point was and i especcially don't see what "Loco's" point was about comparing "us" to children with imaginary friends

22. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I think the point about the playground was to show that they're the Trenchcoat Mafia ;)

23. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Trenchcoat Mafia on a playground? What high school did you go to? :p

24. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    But the fact that "we" exist proves that "people" actually 'meet' "people" that like TPM

So unless you think of yourself as some ultimate standard to be measured against, i don't see what your whole point was and i especcially don't see what "Loco's" point was about comparing "us" to children with imaginary friends

I just thought it was funny that a few here who like the movie make these claims that there are many people who love it too, that "they became fans of the saga because of TPM," yet we never really seem to see them in any mass numbers (or ANY numbers whatsoever, come to think of it). We are yet to see "overwhelming support" for this movie; stuff like the IMDB poll helps show that. So, naturally, one wonders where all these people are, since they are claimed to exist.

25. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Maybe the people who like it lead healthy, normal lives, and the haters live only on the net, building websites and constructing polls in an effort to convince the rest of the world to stop liking the film ;)

In fact, it's possible that they may be trying to convince themselves that they don't like the film [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.