main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Luas doesn't ahve time to be on the net - he's too busy counting the vast pile sof cash he raked in from these "bad" movies that "everyone" hated ;)

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    True

The hate was so strong that they went to see it multiple times!

I hate ( :p ) when i hate something so bad i keep on discussing it, watching it and thinking about it.

3. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    They can not escape the lure of Star Wars - it's too strong - Lucas has grown more powerful than we can possibly imagine [face_mischief]

4. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Dammit, The_Nameless_One, I want to be more like you :(

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah because the "I see dead people" kid has this weird and way-out technique. It's called ACTING. We all know Lucas wouldn't know what to do with talented actors, we've seen it so far,

Really? Then how do you explain the many good performances in his movies?

Haley Joel Osment is the most overrated child actor I've ever seen. I thought his performance in "Sixth Sense" was horrible.

6. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I didn't even watch the Sixth Sense, so I've no idea what that kid was like - but Anakin in TPM was played very well.

7. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Jake Lloyd got a bum rap. He played his character well. I think audiences expected him to play a character that was as dark as Vader. When he turned out to be a genuinely 'nice' kid, it threw audiences for a loop. Realistically, though, I'm glad TPM wasn't a predictable film.

8. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    So am I.

Jake had a few awkward moments, but that's to be expected. He's not the greatest actor, but then, Mark Hamill wasn't either. Lucas chose Jake for the same reason he chose Mark: he fit the part.

IMO Jake's best scenes are with Pernilla August and Natalie Portman. He really interacted with them both very well.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If Jake Lloyd had acted any better, I would never beleive his character fathered Mark Hammil's character.

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Please

Haley: "Are...sniff sniff...you an...sniff sniff..angel?"

Yep, and it would be handled with a little more grace than Jake's uninspiring/ed blubbering and empty "anger." [face_laughing]

Haley is a "good" actor, don't get me wrong....but Anakin Skywalker, he is not, 'by a longshot'.

From what we've seen, neither were Jake nor Hayden. ;)

And now you're suprised that people who like TPM "exist on the net"?

Not at all, it seems like that's the only place they seem to exist. I've heard tales of people who "love" the movie existing in the real world, but in all my adventures and exploits, I have not been able to find them. They are things of legend and fable! :p

True

The hate was so strong that they went to see it multiple times!

Yep, just look how strong the hatred for Titanic was. People hated it to the point of it being the highest grossing film of all time! I suppose people are going to tell me that's the greatest film ever made, since more people apparently went to go see it than any other out there. ;)

They can not escape the lure of Star Wars - it's too strong - Lucas has grown more powerful than we can possibly imagine

It's the strong smell of bacon. ;)

Really? Then how do you explain the many good performances in his movies?

Huh? Whose what? Lloyd's? Haly's? What are you talking about?

If Jake Lloyd had acted any better, I would never beleive his character fathered Mark Hammil's character.

If Jake Lloyd had acted better, maybe he wouldn't sound like he was reading his lines, but hey, keep the bar nice and low, it's easier to exceed expectations that way. ;)

11. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Lucas raises the bar with every film he makes, hence the need to update his earlier efforts as his art and craft improves [face_mischief]

12. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    "Not at all, it seems like that's the only place they seem to exist. I've heard tales of people who "love" the movie existing in the real world, but in all my adventures and exploits, I have not been able to find them. They are things of legend and fable!"

Well, all sarcasm aside, we do exist. Heck, we're probably the reason the film grossed 924.5 million worldwide. Thank you for your donated $, by the way.

"If Jake Lloyd had acted better, maybe he wouldn't sound like he was reading his lines, but hey, keep the bar nice and low, it's easier to exceed expectations that way."

Your opinion is not supported by the facts in evidence (Jake's performance).

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yep, and it would be handled with a little more grace than Jake's uninspiring/ed blubbering and empty "anger." [face_laughing]

What uninspiring/ed blubbering? And what was empty about his anger?

From what we've seen, neither were Jake nor Hayden.

They were more Anakin than HJO could ever be.

Not at all, it seems like that's the only place they seem to exist. I've heard tales of people who "love" the movie existing in the real world, but in all my adventures and exploits, I have not been able to find them. They are things of legend and fable!

And I have not been able to find the hordes of people who wept with joy during each frame of (insert so-called PT rival). :D What's your point?

Yep, just look how strong the hatred for Titanic was. People hated it to the point of it being the highest grossing film of all time! I suppose people are going to tell me that's the greatest film ever made, since more people apparently went to go see it than any other out there.

Why are you confusing box office grosses with quality?

Huh? Whose what? Lloyd's? Haly's? What are you talking about?

You tell me. You were the one who said Lucas wouldn't know what to do with talented actors. I merely replied, "Then how do you explain the many good performances in his movies?"

14. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Lucas captured a whole new generation of fans - the kids who have seen the newer films will grow up to be like us - the only problem for some of them being that they won't have any new Lucas works to hate and take out their frustrations on [face_thinking]

And on a side note, Hayden is more Anakin than Sebastian Shaw will ever be ;)

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [image=http://www.janettebeckman.com/images/celebrity/assets/full/jakelloyd.jpg]

I like Jake Lloyd. I know there's a lot of people thought his performane was wooden, but I thought he acted like a real little boy. I didn't even see the strings.

[image=http://www.soloinrete.it/rassegna/webpages/Mentelocale%208-9_file/Pinocchio_m.jpg]

YIPPIE!!!

:p :p :p

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Lucas raises the bar with every film he makes, hence the need to update his earlier efforts as his art and craft improves

I'd agree with you if he weren't making the same films over and over again. ;)

Well, all sarcasm aside, we do exist. Heck, we're probably the reason the film grossed 924.5 million worldwide.

Just shows how much money some people are willing to spend. Just look at Titanic, are you willing to admit that it's the greatest film ever and that more people saw that than TPM? ;)

Thank you for your donated $, by the way.

I admit, I used to be a gusher and spent my fair share of money on it. Fortunately, I saw the light. I just couldn't lie to myself anymore, trying to convince myself of the film's quality. It's so liberating to be free of the delusions and fabrications and accept the truth about the film's lack of quality, you should try it. ;)

Your opinion is not supported by the facts in evidence (Jake's performance).

My opinion is a RESULT of the evidence (Jake's performance, or a lack thereof)

What uninspiring/ed blubbering? And what was empty about his anger?

You saw the movie, you should be able to tell. :p

They were more Anakin than HJO could ever be.

From what we've seen in Hayden's and Lloyd's performances, there isn't to Anakin anyway. With a bar set so low, I'm sure HJO would have done alright.

And I have not been able to find the hordes of people who wept with joy during each frame of (insert so-called PT rival). What's your point?

Read up on the last few pages, it's there. :p

Why are you confusing box office grosses with quality?

Sorry, Shell, but I'm not the one who brought the numbers into this. I'm just playing along with what's brought up.

You tell me. You were the one who said Lucas wouldn't know what to do with talented actors. I merely replied, "Then how do you explain the many good performances in his movies?"

Ahhh, to which I would say, "Let's wait for some good perfomances to show up in these movies and we'll see." ;)

Lucas captured a whole new generation of fans - the kids who have seen the newer films will grow up to be like us - the only problem for some of them being that they won't have any new Lucas works to hate and take out their frustrations on

New generations of Star Wars fans are always a fun bunch. ;)

And on a side note, Hayden is more Anakin than Sebastian Shaw will ever be

Since Hayden epitomizes the whiney loser punk persona that is Anakin, I would say you're right. Shaw was far too dignified for that. ;)

17. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Just look at Titanic, are you willing to admit that it's the greatest film ever and that more people saw that than TPM?

Of course not, nobody even made that point

But anybody would be incredibly stupid to deny that LOTS of people obviously liked the Titanic...

...Now, here comes the real question:

Do you deny that LOTS of people obviously liked TPM?

18. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I think the light you saw must have been very bright - it seems to have left you blinded to even the most obvious things ;)

And box office numbers SHOULD be used with caution - otherwise those ring films or spider and matrix stuff could be claimed to be good based on the money they made [face_thinking]

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd agree with you if he weren't making the same films over and over again.

How is he doing that?

Just shows how much money some people are willing to spend.

Yeah. And? You were the one equating film grosses to quality.

Just look at Titanic, are you willing to admit that it's the greatest film ever and that more people saw that than TPM?

There you go again. Quit trying to misdirect the convo.

I admit, I used to be a gusher and spent my fair share of money on it. Fortunately, I saw the light. I just couldn't lie to myself anymore, trying to convince myself of the film's quality.

So why are you still spending time on it?

It's so liberating to be free of the delusions and fabrications and accept the truth about the film's lack of quality, you should try it.

No. Because your OPINIONS are not "the truth."

You saw the movie, you should be able to tell.

I must have seen a different movie, because nowhere did Jake "blubber." Please tell me where in your version of the movie he "blubbered." Is it before or after the 500 fart/poop jokes?

From what we've seen in Hayden's and Lloyd's performances, there isn't to Anakin anyway.

There isn't WHAT to Anakin anyway?

With a bar set so low, I'm sure HJO would have done alright.

You're saying that there wasn't much to Anakin due to Hayden's and Lloyd's performances, then you say they set the bar low? That doesn't make any sense.

Read up on the last few pages, it's there.

Where?

Sorry, Shell,

Don't call me Shell.

but I'm not the one who brought the numbers into this. I'm just playing along with what's brought up.

No. YOu were the one who equated box office numbers to quality.

Ahhh, to which I would say, "Let's wait for some good perfomances to show up in these movies and we'll see."

So all the performances in "American Graffiti" were bad? Alec Guinness's performance in ANH was bad? Liam Neeson's, Ian McDiarmid's, Ewan McGregor's, and Pernilla August's performances in the prequels were bad?

New generations of Star Wars fans are always a fun bunch.

Yeah. They actually LIKE the films of which they are fans.

Since Hayden epitomizes the whiney loser punk persona that is Anakin,

Wait, I thought you were saying that Hayden lowered the bar on the character with his performance. Now you're saying Anakin was a whiny loser punk from the get-go? Which is it?

20. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    I should clarify for the sake of loco here...

When I mentioned that TPM grossed 294.5 million, that was in response to his comment that fans of the film are ficticious. I never meant for it to mean that box office receipts equal quality. I'm not sure how he missed something so glaringly obvious, but...

"It's so liberating to be free of the delusions and fabrications and accept the truth about the film's lack of quality, you should try it."

Or perhaps you should try to not push your opinions on other people, or resort to the poor rhetorical tactic of calling it 'truth'.

"Since Hayden epitomizes the whiney loser punk persona that is Anakin, I would say you're right."

The only thing Anakin loses is a lightsaber fight against Dooku. He's certainly not a 'loser'. The only thing he complains about is the death of his mother; it's not whining to miss a loved one who passes away. And, as the Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, or Rancid would all say, 'punk' is a badge of honour.

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Of course not, nobody even made that point

But anybody would be incredibly stupid to deny that LOTS of people obviously liked the Titanic...

...Now, here comes the real question:

Do you deny that LOTS of people obviously liked TPM?

Lots of people saw TPM, like they saw Titanic. Did they like it? Things like the polls and such show that many of them didn't like it for long.

I think the light you saw must have been very bright - it seems to have left you blinded to even the most obvious things

Are you sure I'm the one who is blind in the matter? Sounds like denial and projection. It's okay, you can admit it. [face_thinking]

And box office numbers SHOULD be used with caution - otherwise those ring films or spider and matrix stuff could be claimed to be good based on the money they made

Yep, box office tallies are incredibly misleading. It makes the Prequels look like they're good. It's a good thing I didn't bring up numbers, it's such a poor way of making a point on a film's success. ;)

How is he doing that?

You know how.

Yeah. And? You were the one equating film grosses to quality.

There you go again. Quit trying to misdirect the convo.

If you would have bothered to read the rest of the thread, you surely would have noticed that I wasn't the one who brought up box office tallies.

So why are you still spending time on it?

Cause TPM is a great cinematic pinata. It's just so much fun (and easy) to bash. ;)

I must have seen a different movie, because nowhere did Jake "blubber." Please tell me where in your version of the movie he "blubbered." Is it before or after the 500 fart/poop jokes?

After the first one. ;)

There isn't WHAT to Anakin anyway?

"much."

You're saying that there wasn't much to Anakin due to Hayden's and Lloyd's performances, then you say they set the bar low? That doesn't make any sense.

From what we've seen, there hasn't been much to the character, so like I said, HJO would have done alright. If Jake Lloyd could have done it, then I'm more than certain Haley could have too. ;)

Sorry, Shell,

Don't call me Shell.

No prob, Ley. (j/k) :p

but I'm not the one who brought the numbers into this. I'm just playing along with what's brought up.

No. YOu were the one who equated box office numbers to quality.

Was I the one who was using TPM's box office numbers as a merit to it?

So all the performances in "American Graffiti" were bad? Alec Guinness's performance in ANH was bad? Liam Neeson's, Ian McDiarmid's, Ewan McGregor's, and Pernilla August's performances in the prequels were bad?

I've seen better from those actors.

Yeah. They actually LIKE the films of which they are fans.

Yeah, I know what you mean. ;)

Wait, I thought you were saying that Hayden lowered the bar on the character with his performance. Now you're saying Anakin was a whiny loser punk from the get-go? Which is it?

Huh? The 'get-go?'

When I mentioned that TPM grossed 294.5 million, that was in response to his comment that fans of the film are ficticious. I never meant for it to mean that box office receipts equal quality. I'm not sure how he missed something so glaringly obvious, but...

Very well, understood. That still doesn't prove much since those numbers don't seem to coincide now with image that film has reflected in the populace. I can see hardcore Star Wars fans watching it a lot, enough to inflate it to a great degree; many were camped out there after all, but as far as the general populace goes, it doesn't look like it.

[blockquote

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I have reconsidered, and now believe the people who vated against TPM were just kidding around.

Nobody could dislike TPM.

Qui-Gon: I wish that were so...

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Lots of people saw TPM, like they saw Titanic. Did they like it? Things like the polls and such show that many of them didn't like it for long.

What polls?

Yep, box office tallies are incredibly misleading. It makes the Prequels look like they're good. It's a good thing I didn't bring up numbers, it's such a poor way of making a point on a film's success.

So why did you use them to make a point on the PT's success?

You know how.

No really, how? You've said before that you know the truth that I'm denying.

If you would have bothered to read the rest of the thread, you surely would have noticed that I wasn't the one who brought up box office tallies.

It doesn't matter. You were still using them to make a point.

Cause TPM is a great cinematic pinata. It's just so much fun (and easy) to bash.

I guess it must be.

After the first one.

When after the first one? Please direct me to the precise scene where Anakin

"much."

Oh, OK. I guess there's not much to most main characters in a film series, then.

From what we've seen, there hasn't been much to the character, so like I said, HJO would have done alright. If Jake Lloyd could have done it, then I'm more than certain Haley could have too.

This despite you saying that Lucas doesn't know what to do with talented actors and there is no good acting in any of his movies?

No prob, Ley. (j/k)

[face_plain]

Was I the one who was using TPM's box office numbers as a merit to it?

No. You were the one who said:

Yep, just look how strong the hatred for Titanic was. People hated it to the point of it being the highest grossing film of all time! I suppose people are going to tell me that's the greatest film ever made, since more people apparently went to go see it than any other out there.

I've seen better from those actors.

Er, OK. You said that there was no good acting in Lucas's movies. Now it's "I've seen better from those actors." I'm sure you have; so have I. I wonder how that makes their performances in Lucas's movies bad, however.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

You do?

Huh? The 'get-go?'

You tell me. You've said that Anakin is a whiny loser punk. You've also said that there isn't much to Anakin's character. You've said that from Hayden and Jake's acting, there isn't much to Anakin. You've said that HJO could've played him if Jake and Hayden could. You've said HJO had a "way out weird technique called ACTING," then said that Lucas wouldn't know what to do with talented actors.

I'm having a hard time following what it is you're trying to say.

24. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Aren't the same 4 people sick of derailing every damn thread with the same crap? You know who you are. Stop derailing this thread with your pointless gusher/basher posts.

Loco you will never convince Shelley or Go-Mer to dislike TPM. Go-Mer and Shelley, you will never convince Loco and the other Bashers' Sanctuary regulars posting in this thread to like TPM.

Now will you people just give up trying and stop ruining threads in this forum? The next time it happens, people are going to start getting banned.

25. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    It's not every thread - just those ones created in an attempt to start a fight.
    Look at the title of this one - are you trying to say that this was posted "innocently", without any idea of what it would stir up?
    There's one just like it in the AotC forum too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.