TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    All of the english spoken in these films comes from Earth. I think the accents add the kind of flavor you would normally see in a society as large as the Republic.

I think it's silly to get hung up on some of the english but not the rest of it. It seems like a long way to go to dispariage the prequels.
  2. The_Nameless_One Jedi Master

star 4
    Some poeple ARE prepared to go a long way to do just that ;)
  3. Zar_Valen Jedi Knight

star 1
    And I think it is silly to be so defensive toward another person's opinion. :)

I think it's silly to get hung up on some of the english but not the rest of it. It seems like a long way to go to dispariage the prequels.

First of all, who said anything about the rest of the Prequels? And, I think that is more than a stretch to say that I am out to disparage any Star Wars movie. I have been very respectful of the movie, George Lucas, and all of the posters here. Please don't try to tear me down because you don't agree with my opinion.

What is that again? That fake Earth accents in fake alien languages isn't very believable and is distracting from the film. I think this is a fair and valid criticism and wholly appropriate to BattleDroid1138's original question.
  4. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    It's a fair response, I just don't understand it.
  5. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    As for the poll that I posted, all I was trying to say was that 72% of the hardcore fans HERE IN THIS FORUM like the film. I know the thing is skewed towards JC posters. I also know it is not remotely scientific. But I think it's important to remember that 72% when thinking that all the criticisms of TPM overwhelm the forum or that most everyone hates the film.

6. Zar_Valen Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay man, we'll just agree to disagree.

Well, now that that's settled you probably don't want to hear my theory on how the Gungans are supposed to be Jamaican do you? ;)
  7. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Why would you want them to be Jamaican?
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Again, let's not derail this thread with more discussion of TPMs alleged racism.

9. Zar_Valen Jedi Knight

star 1
    How was rascism implied?

The Gungans remind me personally of the Jamaican island culture. In basic look and appearance that is what it brought to my mind. Why do people cry rascism where there is NONE?

Some have had the kneejerk reaction of saying the Gungans represented some type of stereotype, and others seem to have responded by saying that anytime anyone mentions Gungans being comparable to real-world culture then they must be trying to imply rascism, I am not supporting any of this.

I realize this is a touchy subject with some, but it doesn't mean that people should jump to conclusions or shy away from it. How is it unreasonable to say the Gungans could have a resemblance to the Jamaican culture? Both are obviously sea-based cultures with a mix of modern and tribal traditions.

Is it this type of misunderstanding that lead to the initial criticisms of the film and George Lucas?
  10. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    I tend to agree with Go-Mer. I don't see why the accents are a big deal. The Gungan accent bothered me some, only because it was difficult to understand. Otherwise, it was fine as it was.
  11. lookatitthisway Jedi Knight

seeing that harcores and public are voting i think you should realize the original starwars series was respected for :
    1. its ideas , which good scifi was based on at that time;realtion to real life
    2. special effects which actaully cause some damage . in the originals we see ships being blown up and people killed . in these ? they look so clean , like theyve been polished which was probably the reason why we didnt see that many scenes of people dieing only the machines .
    3 . these new ones have none of those
    4 the actors dont walk through real settings .
  12. Battlemaiden Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's too bad that TPM is earning Worst Star Wars film, since I rather like it. Blasphemous as it is to say, I think ANH is the weakest Star Wars film.
  13. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Zar_Valen, I'm behind you all the way! The Gungans are indeed similar to Jamaicans in the ways you list, as well as in their use of a 'pidgin' form of the common language (which appears to have been foisted upon them by the Naboo at some point in the past, though we cannot be certain of this).

This similarity is furthered by the fact that Ahmed Best is himself Jamaican.
  14. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I have no idea in general where this whole "prequels suck OMGLOL" reaction came from. The films have done just as well as the classics, TPM actually better than either ESB or ROTJ even adjusted for inflation (first release, that is).

My feeling is that 5-10 years from now, that'll be finished with, because those kids who were 6-10 when they saw TPM are now just about posting age, and as they start to become more active in these forums, you'll see that the majority of people, the majority of Star Wars fans, really do love the prequels. It is just these disgruntled 30-year-olds who for some reason or another just don't get it and seem to have lost their Star Wars fandom.

My absolute biggest annoyance is the "fans" who say they love ANH and ESB, and after that it all went to hell. Alright, fine, you are entitled to your opinion -- but don't call yourself a Star Wars fan and insult my intelligence. There are 5 movies. If you like 2 of them, that doesn't make you a fan. That makes you a fan of ESB and ANH. You could maybe get away with that after the OT, and say you liked 2 of 3. But not anymore. You can even say, "I used to be a big Star Wars fan, but am not anymore because I don't like the prequels" -- that is accurate, but to call yourself a huge fan if you don't even like 3 of the 5 movies is to insult real fans such as myself and others around here who actually love all of the Star Wars movies.

I mean by some people's standards, I guess I could call myself a Star Trek fan because I like TNG, even though I don't like any of the other shows, and I liked First Contact and a few other movies. That doesn't make me a fan. It just means I like a few Star Trek things. But yet some Star Wars fans will not give it up -- "I was there 25 times for ANH in '77, don't tell me I'm not a fan, I was a fan before you were born, blah blah blah." My response: Irrelevant, your honor. Being a fan of ANH in '77 doesn't make you a Star Wars fan. It makes you an ANH fan. There's a huge difference.
  15. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm sorry to lay this on you, but the original STAR WARS film is STAR WARS. If there had never been another film in the franchise after that, to be a fan would require loving that film and only that film. Since there are others, selecting which movies to like and which movies to pick apart is all well and good -- it's part of what makes a fan a fan -- but the original film, known only as Star Wars until the re-release in 1978, is where it all began.
  16. Obladi_Oblada Jedi Knight

star 2
    "I have no idea in general where this whole "prequels suck OMGLOL" reaction came from."

I don't get it either. I mean, there are things about the prequels I don't like but I still enjoy them a great deal. And I could swear that every single person I talked to on opening day of TPM said they loved it. Hardcore fans and casual viewers alike. By the time the video came out it was, "Oh, not this again. It was bad enough having to sit through it in the theater..." But then I talked to some non-fans after AotC who said they wished it could have gone on longer and that they liked it even better than Episode I. And even most of the TPM bashers were saying how much better it was. Now it seems to be bashed just as much. I just get the feeling that it's become cool to bash the PT.
  17. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    On another board, I saw someone say that around where she lives, people were anticipating AOTC, and they were hoping not that it would be better than TPM, but as good as TPM.

I honestly don't think the prequels are as hated as LOTR.com...er, IMDB.com and the rest of the media wants us to believe.
  18. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    I honestly don't think the prequels are as hated as LOTR.com...er, IMDB and the rest of the media wants us to believe.

I have stated this before, but while the IMDB is a very good resource for specific information concerning technical credits for films, filmmakers, and actors, it is a rather lousy forum. Although there are moderators, the "moderation" itself is almost completely non-existent. The threads that people choose to create pretty much run the gamut in terms of their abject offensiveness: crude, bigoted, homophobic, sexist, heterosexist, derogatory, and generally uninformed comments are commonplace; any time that I have choosen to peruse the forums, which isn't often, I am always appalled at the level of thoughtlessness that many of the posters exhibit. It is actually a rather unfortunate matter to consider, one which would, not to my surprise, openly embrace a "worst of" survey.

While I happen to enjoy "The Lord of the Rings" films, I find it unlikely, for example, that the IMDB would consider a survey entitled "Which 'LOTR' film is the worst?" "Star Wars", it seems, conveniently serves as fodder for this sort of charged and contrived material, which exists in an attempt to pander to the base (and occasionally vociferous) public distaste over such and such. Dislike of a particular film is valid, of course, and as it conforms to a person's opinion, cannot be questioned; however, I am infinitely more interested in hearing what individuals (at least well-informed ones) have to say about something, rather than an amorphous spattering of grunts which emanate from a disgruntled collective. Polls are interesting, but those such as the one in question will certainly not withstand the application of close scrutiny, and therefore must be considered as a tenuous matter, one easily dismissed (and for good reason).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.