main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [face_laugh] How does one get his lettuce cut on Naboo?

Merlin "A dream to some... A nightmare to others!!!" from Excalibur

It was nice of the Jedi to train Anakin, but a total bummer that the Queen somewhat snubbed him.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Actually all of this makes sense. But it wouldn't be sporting to tell you how.

You will have to figure out how on your own.

Gomer - what are you talking about? You keep popping into threads with those strange remarks.

Shelley-
    It purports to be.

Do you have any evidence that it isn't?

IMDB.com doesn't give a cross-section of anything but people who a) have internet access; b) know IMDB.com exists; c) care that it exists; d) are registered members; e) saw the poll; f) cared enough about the poll to vote in it.

Well a week ago you said you could probably suggest a site with a wider cross section, so go ahead.

Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. In any case, I don't know what, exactly, she could've done, beyond bringing the matter to the Senate, which would've gotten her nowhere.

It's not that hard to free a slave on Tatooine, she could've bought or bartered for her. considering she had the intelligence to take on the TF I think she could manage this.

It is? Seems to me that it was due to him missing her. Anyway, it's not until after she's been freed from slavery that he senses any kind of "suffering" from her.

He doesn't need to 'sense' it, she's a slave and he knows how bad that is.

How would it do that?

If you had to go away and leave a loved one don't you think it'd play on your mind if when you left them they were still languishing in slavery ?

gez the lack of a better alternative to IMDB does not make IMDB a good source. It merely makes it the best available one. I for one still question the lack of any sort of reliable accurate cross section of public opinion from an online movie site's polls.

Yeah but if you (and by "you" I mean anyone) are going to make some comment about what the public think about something you're going to have to use some sort of 'poll' to form an opinion, the more the better. imdb seems to be pretty big . What would you use to estimate what the public think , I mean out of what's available?
    Out of curiosity - what do you think of the polls here at tf.n ?

Bottom line is she went on with her life, and Anakin went on with his. Perhaps if Anakin had contacted Padme about trying to free his mother she would have helped him, but if he isn't worried about it, why would she go out of her way?

Bloody hell. And this from the guy who says :
    "Actually all of this makes sense. But it wouldn't be sporting to tell you how.
    You will have to figure out how on your own"

You know, Gomer, you claim to have this 'better' understanding of these movies than the rest of us but it's obvious you don't . Why should she go out of her way ? Well let's see:
    Shmi took in Padme and gave her food and shelter, a complete stranger, she then risked everything she had, including the life of her only child, to help Padme .

And you say : "why would she go out of her way?"

good grief.

g

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually all of this makes sense. But it wouldn't be sporting to tell you how.

You will have to figure out how on your own.

Gomer - what are you talking about? You keep popping into threads with those strange remarks.

I would discourage this line of conversation. It seems innocent enough, but I know where it ends, it ends with me pulling people aside and explaining forum policy again (best case sensario).

4. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Has anyone ever mentioned the idea tha Qui Gonn didn't really 'free' Anakin? He BOUGHT him. He probably freed him afterwards, but it doesn't change the fact that he engaged in a criminal activity. While a reckless Jedi might do that type of thing, I don't believe a Queen could get away with it, especially when the greatest political mind in the galaxy is scheming against your beloved Republic.

As for polls on this site... this site attracts people with more specific knowledge about Star Wars than IMDB, IMHO. That might not be a good cross-section of the world's population, but at least the participants have put some thought into the questions at hand.

5. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    And not the sort of person who thinks Anakin in TPM was a young Luke o_O

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    While a reckless Jedi might do that type of thing, I don't believe a Queen could get away with it, especially when the greatest political mind in the galaxy is scheming against your beloved Republic.

She doesn't have to do it personally.
    And she definitely has no problem bending the rules - her landing on Geonosis was totally illegal and could've started a war, all to rescue Obiwan.

As for polls on this site... this site attracts people with more specific knowledge about Star Wars than IMDB, IMHO. That might not be a good cross-section of the world's population, but at least the participants have put some thought into the questions at hand.

And how does TPM rate here in relation to the other movies?

g

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Let's just say there are people who beleive this all makes sense, and others who don't see any sense to it at all.

Never the twain shall meet.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    gez, I had a reply typed out, then realized that I was just letting you draw me into another basher-gusher fight, which I would have been blamed for. So forget it.

9. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Has anyone ever mentioned the idea tha Qui Gonn didn't really 'free' Anakin? He BOUGHT him. He probably freed him afterwards, but it doesn't change the fact that he engaged in a criminal activity.

Not criminal on Tatooine. And he releashed Anakin after the fact.

10. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I do hope you mean "released" and not "releashed", otherwise that's getting very kinky ;)

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    He released Anakin, and Anakin became a Jedi. I wouldn't call being a Jedi a "free" existence.

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Nope - Anakin's a slave his whole life.

13. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Slavery is actually illegal on Tatooine - it is part of the Republic (a part that isn't particularly cared about), and Padme mentions the Republic's anti-slavery laws. Hence, her buying a slave would be illegal.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And how does TPM rate here in relation to the other movies?

TPM is "losing" the Best Star Wars film poll here on the JC. I created one in SWC and TPM only has 2% of the votes so far.

15. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    1% of that was mine [face_mischief]

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Tatooine is not a part of the Republic during TPM.

17. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Padme seems to believe that the anti-slavery laws apply. Why would she, unless Tatooine was part of the Republic?

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Shmi said that the Republic doesn't exist out on Tatooine. Watto refused Qui Gon's Republic credits as payment for the hyperdrive.

19. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    I know. That's proof that the Republic is falling apart - it doesn't actually mean that Tatooine isn't part of the Republic.

And when Watto says that Republic credits are no good, I think he was implying that he needed something more practical than cash.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The only bad Star Wars movie I have ever seen wasn't a movie. It was the Holiday Special.

21. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    They should have included that on the poll...

22. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I know, Tatooine is technically part of the Republic. It's just that the Republic doesn't care about it. That's why the Hutts control it, and why there's slavery.

23. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I don't believe Tatooine is park of the Republic. If it were Republic money would mean something, there would be an official office QGJ could have gone to, and there would be a Hutt in the senate.

The only bad Star Wars movie I have ever seen wasn't a movie. It was the Holiday Special.

You didn't just bash something SW, did you? :eek:

24. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    *Waves hand* The Holiday Special isn't Star Wars... [face_mischief]

25. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    I looked up Tatooine on both this site's unofficial Encyclopedia and SW.COM. Neither was conclusive. However, the entry in the Databank suggests that it is nominally under Old Republic, and then Imperial control. But since nobody really cares about the planet farthest from the bright centre of the universe, teh Hutts can get away with actually running it.

Besides, if it was a Hutt world and not Old Republic/Imperial, then why are there Stormtroopers in Mos Eisley performing security checks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.