main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I believe that The Phantom Menace is the least favorite of the Star Wars saga and it's not a very good film, much like Superman IV: The Quest for Peace or Batman and Robin.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is your opinion. My point was that just because it is the least favorite does not mean that everyone who chose TPM hates the film as some seem to think.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ Of course. But the opposite of your opinion is possible and likely.

However, there's a reason why I believe as I do. The Phantom Menace appears by many surveys to be the least popular of the Star Wars films. These surveys strongly suggest that it lacks something, as it usually comes in dead last.

4. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, that's like saying Godfather 3 lacks something because it is the least liked of the Godfather films. Just because fans don't put it in first on the list doesn't mean it isn't liked. So when you say the opposite of that is likely, I'm wondering how you come up with that.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    You'll need to use a better example than The Godfather III. :p

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Strilo's opinion is that people find Episode One their least favorite film of the Star Wars Saga, but still like the film. The opposite to that thought would be, Ep1 is their least favorite film and don't like it; which is a likely possibility.

As for Godfather 3, it probably does lack something which it's hardly ever mentioned. The Godfather trilogy doesn't really have the same ring as the Star Wars trilogy. Come to think of it, when has the Godfather been referred to as a trilogy?

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Strilo's opinion is that people find Episode One their least favorite film of the Star Wars Saga, but still like the film.

No, my opinion is that many people find Episode One their least favorite film of the Star Wars Saga, but still like the film. There are certainly people who dislike the film or even hate it.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ Right. Then it's not just my opinion.

Here's a question. Why do you think Episode One is the least liked of the Star Wars saga?

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it's because a lot of people have a hard time seeing all the films as one big story. The beginning of the story is a lot of setup and exposition, and some people don't realize that's something that has to be done so they can get to the part where everything flies out of control.

People ask me to list the SW films in order from best to worst, and I will always make my list like this:

1) Star Wars Saga.

To get down on TPM is like getting down on the first 20 minutes of Raiders of the Lost ark. Sure it's cooler once Indy leaves the school and starts encountering Nazis, but the "boring" setup with him and Marcus Brody talking to the G men is essential for the rest of the movie to transpire.

You might as well ask someone what their least favorite finger is. Somone might say: The pinkey finger, but it's not like they would want someone to remove their pinkey finger.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    You might as well ask someone what their least favorite finger is. Somone might say: The pinkey finger, but it's not like they would want someone to remove their pinkey finger.

But if that pinky had a cancerous growth and it meant losing the whole hand unless it was removed ...

g

11. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Conversely, if that pinky was the one that you needed for typing, you'd keep it.

And the Godfather is always referred to as a trilogy. It is three films, after all. It ain't The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy...

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    1) Star Wars Saga.

To get down on TPM is like getting down on the first 20 minutes of Raiders of the Lost ark.

But you can trash part of a film and still like the whole. The first 30 minutes of ROTJ bores me greatly, but I love ROTJ.

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    But you can trash part of a film and still like the whole

Agreed.

So, since the SW saga is 6 chapters, the whole is what matters :D

14. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    So the good stuff has to carry the dead weight of the prequels? Figures. :p

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Conversely, if that pinky was the one that you needed for typing, you'd keep it.

And risk losing the whole hand? No, chop it off, it's rotten with gangrine, putrid, evil smelling, get rid of it.

And the Godfather is always referred to as a trilogy

Not in my house. The 3rd one was unnecessary, it's not in the same league as the first 2. Just like the PT aint in the same league as the OT. Don't let the marketting boys fool ya, just cos they call something a trilogy doesn't mean you gotta like all 3 or even regard it as such.

g

16. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    No offence, but I like the film. That's not a function of marketing (which has never been proven to be successful in clinical trials, by the way). I saw the film, and enjoyed it. You don't like it; that's your opinion but don't try to force (get it? Force?) your opinion on me with a forced analogy to a cancerous pinky.

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I saw the film, and enjoyed it. You don't like it; that's your opinion but don't try to force (get it? Force?) your opinion on me with a forced analogy to a cancerous pinky

I'm not trying to force anything on you, you were the one that said it's always referred to as a trilogy and I say not to me. And I like it too.
    The pinky analogy is Gomer's and I was referring to tpm not the Godfather films in that analogy.

g

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Gomer: 1) Star Wars Saga.

To get down on TPM is like getting down on the first 20 minutes of Raiders of the Lost ark.

Darth-Stryphe: But you can trash part of a film and still like the whole. The first 30 minutes of ROTJ bores me greatly, but I love ROTJ.

So based on the statements above, would it be fair to say that the first 133 minutes of the Star Wars saga sucked and still love the Star Wars Saga, much like loving the Godfather "trilogy" and hating the last 162 minutes?

It might be a better anology to say Episode One is more light a wart than a finger, as if it were removed it wouldn't be all the missed from the hand like an entire finger, but I'm sure not everyone will agree with that.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I never refer to the Star Wars films as a trilogy. It's a SAGA.

:p

20. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Gez, you refer to this...

"And risk losing the whole hand? No, chop it off, it's rotten with gangrine, putrid, evil smelling, get rid of it."

... and it's fairly reasonable to say that you are equating TPM with this gross finger. Forced analogy - it doesn't hold up.

Oh, and Godfather IS a trilogy. Not calling it a trilogy is just not right. Just like calling Star Wars a trilogy is not right (6 films).

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I have no problem if you would like The Godfather to be referred to as a trilogy, much like I wouldn't have a problem if Robocop was referred to as a trilogy.

I just don't recall The Godfather being referred as such.

22. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Soon, there will be no "old films" and "new films" - there will just be the Saga - six Episodes about the rise and fall on Anakin Skywalker, and how it changed the galaxy and those around him [face_mischief]

23. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Really? Then someone better tell George cause he keeps harping on about the "old films" he created in the 70s. If anyone keeps reminding us Star Wars has been around for twenty years in two very separate forms, it's him, and he doesn't seem to be letting up. I hope he's aware the fans have a different approach to Star Wars than he does. ;)

24. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    LOL at this whole thread.

A couple of questions:

1) Why even bother taking imdb members serious? 90% of them are morons anyway. Same goes for AICN.
    2) WHY is Godfather III so bad? I don't see a real difference! Most people just tend to bash sequels (or in SW case Prequels) just because of a time gap between the releases:
    Matrix 1999, Sequels 2003
    Godfather 1 (1972), Godfather 2 (1974), ..... Godfather 3 (1990)
    SW PT
    Terminator 3 (okay, it really wasn't as good IMO as the previous two due to the lack of darkness and violence)

See?

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    1) Why even bother taking imdb members serious? 90% of them are morons anyway. Same goes for AICN.

[image=http://www.clickmagazine.net/cm/emoticons/flamming.gif] :p :p :p

2) WHY is Godfather III so bad? I don't see a real difference! Most people just tend to bash sequels (or in SW case Prequels) just because of a time gap between the releases:
    Matrix 1999, Sequels 2003
    Godfather 1 (1972), Godfather 2 (1974), ..... Godfather 3 (1990)
    SW PT
    Terminator 3 (okay, it really wasn't as good IMO as the previous two due to the lack of darkness and violence)

See?

I see. Don't forget about the Jurassic Park Trilogy either. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.