PT TPM Media Flashback

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    The Scottish Sun, April 1998:

Mimic Lewis MacLeod has swapped his impressions of soccer supremo Jim Farry (Secretary of the Scottish Football Association) for a staring role as a scary alien in the new Star Wars movies.

The comic from BBC Radio Scotland's football show Off The Ball will do battle as a fearsome monster with Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson in the new trilogy. Lewis said last night "I appear as a loathsome, ugly character that everybody hates - which was really no different from playing the secretary of the SFA".

"Originally I was called to do the voice of this new alien character, but while I was at Leavesden Studios in London, Lucas said he wanted to use my face. I thought he had another role in mind for me and had images of swinging a light sabre above my head. But then he told me he wanted to turn my mug into a huge, horrible alien".

"So I play a new character called Sebulba, who is a clone of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt. Sebulba is completely computer generated, but the made him look exactly like me. He's big and he elongates into different shapes. He's a likeable baddie, but still a baddie".

"My face was filmed at all angles with digital video cameras. They captured my mannerisms which the animators used to make the alien. So the thing moves it's eyebrows the same way I do and has the same expressions".

The 6ft 3in former kids telly presenter landed the role after doing perfect send-ups of all the Star Wars characters.

"I can do Darth Vader, Yoda, Jabba the Hutt and everyone who was in the films. I can even do all the spaceships. At the audition I just got in front of the microphone and ran through every one of the voices non-stop for five minutes".

"At the end Lucas just looked at me and said you're the most bizarre man I've ever met.". He added: "But the film was great because I got to work closely with Lucas. He was excellent as he knows exactly what he wants. The security was incredible though. After I had filmed a scene a security guard was on hand to deliver the reels. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I think it's going to beat Titanic when it comes out and hopefully I'll end up being in all three of them".

2. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Another gem from way-back, Dec. 1998:

I just thought I'd let you know that over here in the UK, on BBC Radio 1 this morning, they aired a live interview with Brian Blessed who, although not revealing anything too paramount to the plot, he let go of a few interesting facts.

Firstly, Blessed revealed his awe at uttering the final line in Episode I as Boss Nass, describing himself as a 'reluctant hero'. Apparently, he was originally hired by Lucas for another part, but Lucas decided Blessed was 'too loud' for that particular role. Anyone who is familiar with Brian Blessed will fully understand the logic behind Lucas' choice here.

Secondly, he told the interviewer of his transport during the film being 'some kind of mechanical dinosaur' which he 'rides all over the place'. He discussed the planet Naboo by name, adding that an assortment of 'wonderful submarines, mechanical fish and an assortment of watery type creatures' adorned the set. Also worth note is his description of one particular scene where 'tens-of-thousand' of Naboo inhabitants are begging him for his help. I think that I've included anything of worth here, and as I say, although not overly revealing, these little details are quite interesting - at least we know that Boss Nass doesn't get killed during the film now, as revealed in Blessed's admission to having the last line in the script.

One other thing worth mentioning is the way in which Blessed pronounced the name of Liam Neeson's character, Qui-Gon Jinn. The 'Jinn' seems to be pronounced with a French tinge, as in Jean Reno.

Gren Cropper added the following:

Anyway, highly entertaining (very funny man) and Star Wars E1 was brought up. Much of what was said was already known. He mentioned his character BOSS NASS King of the Gungans and that the Jedi?Naboo go for their help. He also mentioned that Lucas asked him "you've got the Jedi and Naboo bowing at your feet begging for your help what does BOSS NASS say to them, how does he convey his response", Brian answers with a loud, deep war cry. Lucas replies something along the lines of"thats why I hired you, your mad!!"
  3. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    It's interesting to note how they try to overrate their characters.
  4. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Great blasts from the past - Thanks for the posts. Reading these remind me of the extreme hype that was all over the media/Internet in the 6-12 months prior to the release of TPM in '99.
  5. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting reading.

Funny how Blessed said there was all this stuff adorning the set. From pics I've seen of the shoot, it was mostly small set pieces with bluescreen.
  6. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Sebulba does battle as a fearsome monster with Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson?

Sebulba is a huge, horrible alien and a clone of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt?

OK. [face_laugh]
  7. Darthbane2007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe Sebulba & Boss Nass had bigger parts in early drafts..
  8. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Probably, but those would be totally different, not just bigger.
  9. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    Quite frankly, actors don't always have answers when reporters are grilling them for information, especially when its Star Wars and so much is kept top secret, even from cast and crew until the last moment. Its fun for us, because its how rumors get started... but then again, some rumors are perhaps intention and beneficial to Lucasfilm in that they can throw curious fans off the scent while they go off and make a movie that is totally different, and we're none the wiser until release day.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.