main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM on 3-D blu-ray: A Panasonic exclusive?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MandalorianDuchess, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Just found out about this... hasn't been confirmed by LFL as far as I know, but looks pretty legit:

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/panasonic-bringing-star-wars-3d-to-blu-ray-1064974

Panasonic is set to cement its relationship with LucasFilm and bring Star Wars 3D to Blu-ray in the spring.

Panasonic was the only AV manufacturer in 2011 to bundle the Star Wars Blu-ray with its Blu-ray players and home cinema setups and it seems it has kept this deal and will bring the 3D versions of the movies to homes in the coming months.

3D Blu-ray
    Star Wars: Episode 1 ? A Phantom Menace is currently in cinemas in its 3D state and a source has revealed to TechRadar that the 3D Blu-ray will be launched as soon as the spring - though we reckon it looks more like a September launch - and Panasonic will bundle the Blu-ray with its home cinema setups ? much like what it did with the recent Blu-ray releases.

Lucasfilm has decided to release the Star Wars movies once a year from 2012 in 3D, so it is thought that it will be only the first ? well not the first but the first within George Lucas' expanded vision of the Star Wars universe ? which will come bundled with Panasonic kit.

Panasonic has stayed true to active shutter 3D, so it is a massive move for them to have Star Wars linked with the technology.

2. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Huh? So you won't be able to buy this on its own? The only way to get it is to purchase a new Panasonic 3D TV? What if we already have a 3D TV? We can't get the movie? That doesn't seem fair.

3. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Well, yeah, initially at least it would be an exclusive that you can only get with the Panasonic bundle. However, one can only hope that the exclusivity period will not be very long.

They did something like that with the 3-D blu-ray of "Avatar", too, from what I understand.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Wait a minute!

You can already get 3-D Blu-rays?

Where the hell have I been???!!!

Oh, this is awesome news!!!

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Haha, yes. Go to your local electronics store. They usually have demos of 3D TVs (with the glasses) that you can "try". Of course, the Blu-rays and/or video games have to be produced in 3D in order to get the desired effect. Apparently, digital TV programming will be available in 3D at some point. How awesome will it be to watch sports in 3D?!

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The link says nothing about that.

Misleading thread title is misleading. [face_mischief]

7. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah, Alexrd is right. I don't see the word "exclusive" anywhere in there. I hope it isn't, as it's pretty lame to make popular titles like this available only from certain brands. It's good for Panasonic, certainly, but the lack of decent content is one of the biggest problems with the 3D home theater market. While that is improving somewhat, it's pretty ridiculous that Avatar is still not publicly available in the format when it largely still exists only because of Avatar's success. Those that desire different brands or already have 3D set-ups get pretty well screwed over in these deals. The options are: buy a new 3D player/TV every time a film you want comes out or pay outrageously inflated prices for second-hand copies. Both are absurd.

But all that is beside the point, I guess, if TPM 3D is released on its own.

8. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    AFter clicking the link now that I am home on my laptop and off my slow and small mobile phone, I have read the full article more carefully. Based on what the article says, it appears this is not a big deal. They are packaging the movie with the bundle just like they did with the blu-ray set last fall, and no mention of it being exclusive. That means that movie WILL be sold seperately on its own, but will also come with this bundle to help sell Panasonic sets. SOunds good to me!

Note that the verbiage in the article that it will be available in the bundle just like the blu-ray was in the fall, tells me that its not an exclusive and the movie will be available for sale on its own just like we all hoped it would be.[face_dancing]

9. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    If some mod wants to change the thread title or add a question mark, please go right ahead. At this point there still doesn't seem to be official information. I read in some blu-ray forums that in the past, whenever Panasonic had a bundle that included a 3-D blu-ray, it was always an exclusive.

But take that with a grain of salt. At least until LFL confirms or denies it.

10. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010

Done.

11. MandalorianDuchess

Feb 16, 2010
    Many thanks!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.