main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM on ITV1 tonite

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Jazbets

Darth_Jazbets Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2002
    Stayed in the cinema for the end of the credits and heard Vader breathing. Possibly the best bit of the film. [face_plain]

The CGI was quite impressive, but it made everything look too perfect. Especially the battle between the Gungans and the battle droids - nice blue sky and lovely green grass... Erm, as anyone who's ever played football on grass will know, it doesn't stay green very long. They should've used loads of extras running around a real field in the rain.

2. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    The problem I have with TPM is that its all too bland. The acting is just not up to standard, the scenery looks about as interesting as paint drying and the story is muddled and confused.

The effects I really do feel look dreadful. They haven't stood the test at all and Yoda is a prime example of a big mistake. Why couldn't they have used Stuart Freeborn's original puppet? The Yoda in Empire/Jedi still looks better than the Yoda in TPM. He looks comical - I can't take it seriously.

I agree with whoever said Ian McDiarmid was good in TPM :) Mind you he has been very good in all the SW films, even when he is hamming it up as the Emperor :)

I just don't feel that Lucas got it right with TPM overall. I know it had a huge expectation but even looking back on it now, without that, it is quite simply an ill-conceived and poorly made film.

Oh, the only bit I do like, apart from the final lightsabre duel, is the appearance of Darth Maul towards the end. That scene, with the music, as the doors part to reveal Maul is perfect :)

3. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    "Why couldn't they have used Stuart Freeborn's original puppet?"

The latex, glue and substances used to create the original puppets (There was more then one for the films) have degraded over time, and the last time I saw them mentioned, I think they said that they had almost disintergrated.

So, a new puppet was needed, and Nick Gurman (I think that was his name) created one out of newer materials, that would "last forever". Pity it was so poor, it never needed to!

UKS

4. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    I must say, I think Palpatine totally outshone almost everyone else..

I was just sat there pissing my brothers off by cheering palps and remarking on his supreme political manoeuvring (sic) skills

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Ian McDiarmid is 'da man, as far as I'm concerned. An island of professionalism in a sea of hammy acting. If there was one person that doesn't get the recognition they deserve in these films, it would be him.

My mother doesn't like TPM simply because there is no Harrison Ford in it. :D

6. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    I think 'hammy acting' is perhaps the kindest thing ever said about it in TPM.

AND... Portman was as wooden as f... again? I wonder if DarthTerrious would like to defend this again, by means of her being 'emotionally confused' and 'torn between duty and love'.... :p

Moreover, she is lame. Its true. You can admit it. Its alright... :p

7. TerriousTheReindeer

TerriousTheReindeer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2002
    Az :mad: :p

Anyway I liked TPM, after all its my first ever Star Wars film ;)

And I'll defend it :p

Anyway besides as a Queen she had to be stiff/wooden/whatever because she is a position of power, besides I quite like Natalie [face_love] ;)

8. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Mr James Baker sir, why can't you accept bad acting when you see it? :)

9. Stoney-Wan-Kenobi

Stoney-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2002
    Did I imagine it, or did I see the guy who played Wicket the Ewok as an extra in TPM?

10. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Warwick Davis, for that is he, was in the Podrace crowd with Watto and the other Sebulba fans.

Allegedly.

11. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Az, my friend. I am a very stubborn person :p

Besides what you may see as bad acting is not what i see as bad acting ;) :)

12. Stoney-Wan-Kenobi

Stoney-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2002
    She wasn't as wooden as Hayden Christiensensensen in AOTC...

But that's not saying much :D

13. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Hayden Christiensensensen

Actaully, its spelt as Hayden Christensen. ;)

TPM had its problems, but you simply cannot ignore the excellent acting efforts by Ian Mcdiarmid and Liam Neeson.

14. Ebenezer_TK_Scrooge

Ebenezer_TK_Scrooge Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2002
    And the good acting in the original trilogy was....?????

:p

15. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    To whoever asked about Warwick Davis, I believe he played 4 parts in the film, I think.

16. TerriousTheReindeer

Dec 4, 2002
    Stoney-Wan-Kenobi,

You think Hayden was wooden? :eek:

We must have seen a different movie!

17. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Acting in the OT is FAR superior to the other films EezerGoode. Although its still not great, I attribute this to the script, as the OT actors are all fine actors... the same cannot be said for the leads in the prequels (Ewan, Ian and Liam excepted).

Oh yeah, I thought Hayden was fine acting. Its Portman that needs sacking. ;)

18. TerriousTheReindeer

Dec 4, 2002
    Well while she's sleeping with.... :eek: I mean while she's still beautiful and keeps guys coming to see the film who cares about the acting ;)

:p

19. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    Buy Leon on DVD and leave it at that then Mr Baker. :p

You can even play out your 'who's the daddy' fantasies then. :p

20. TerriousTheReindeer

Dec 4, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.