main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM on laserdisc

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pendulous_Dewlap, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    It's a horrible movie, I know, but does anyone here own a copy of the Japanese laserdisc? Is it true that it is the only home video version of TPM to contain the original 133-minute theatrical cut of the film?

Mod Edit: Ok, so this topic has reached its expiration date

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The VHS release (2000) was the 133m theatrical version.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    EDIT: Double post

4. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    Thanks, Darth Nub.:) The DVD edition of the film has a running time of 136 minutes. What are the differences between it and the theatrical cut of the film?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One difference that I remember: Shmi tells Anakin to be careful just before the pod race.

There were a couple of little added lines like that, I'll try to remember the others. I gave away my VHS tape of TPM.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    There is also the extended arrival on Coruscant, and parts of the the pod-race re-inserted.

7. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

You guys keep talking about VHS. What about the LD?

8. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I have the LD and while I haven't watched it in a long time, my memory is that it did have some alternate dialogue and slightly extended pod race, perhaps a few other things. If there's anything you want me to check, I could pull the player out of the basement and give it a whirl.

EDIT: The runtime is listed at 133 minutes but IMDB lists it theatrically at 136. ??? I guess it is the original theatrical cut and my memories of the DVD are leaking in, and I guess the 136 minute version is now the official one?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah yes. The Queen's entourage getting into the speeder, and Padme telling Anakin to come on. The novelization talks about how lonely he felt then and what it meant to him that she was noticing and including him.

10. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I longed to own that Laserdisc back in 2000-2001. Watching my WS VHS of TPM back then I could only wonder at how good it would look on LD. I had all the others on LD so was gutted that the only way to get TPM was a horrendously expensive Japanese import disc. Remember that it was nearly 2 and a half years after the theatrical release before the DVD was finally released! I would love to have the original theatrical cut of TPM and AOTC on DVD/Bluray. I like having the choice but with GL's history I doubt we'll ever see them again! :(

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It is? I didn't knew that.

12. sam_

sam_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2011
    I dont think its a bad movie it is a bit severe to say that. I do think he has is quality and is default as well. I see it as different of the five others and it made it special but not the one I prefere in the Star Wars saga.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I like the sound of that.

14. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Me either, pity he thinks so.:p

15. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Why in the world you be searching for the laserdisc of a "horrible" movie????

Yancy

16. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Ask the OP. I love TPM. :p

17. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    Prepare yourself for more changes in the upcoming blu-ray release...

I don't want the laserdisc of TPM; I was just wondering if anyone here happened to own a copy. I have the Definitive Collection Star Wars Trilogy Box Set of the OT and am perfectly content with that, thank you.

18. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    The Phantom Menace is a wonderful movie with the same charm as the 1977 original.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    QFT.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Just because it's worth repeating...QFT again.

21. Pendulous_Dewlap

May 21, 2011
    I can't stand TPM. In no way does it approach the standard set by the original, unaltered "Star Wars," and its sequel, "The Empire Strikes Back." But hey, if you love it, more power to you.[face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.