main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM the happiest of the saga

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by The_General_Grievous, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    if you think about it TPM is the happist of the saga because there is no war going on(only small skermishes)we dont have an opressive government, there is a lot of happy things that are in this that arnt in the other films

2. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    I'd probably have to agree, though the end of ROTJ is pretty happy as well. ;)

3. The_General_Grievous

Jan 8, 2005
    ya, but im talking about it as a whole film

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, The Phantom Menace is most definatly the happiest episode

5. The_General_Grievous

Jan 8, 2005
    just think when they go to coruscant, no one is tryong to assainate them ,there not on the verge of war, i may have to watch TPM again to see how happy they really are

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    TPM is not a happy movie at all. Remeber Duels of Fates and the Buring of Qui-gon.

Edit: It may have alot of happy stuff but I belvive its more of a dark movie towards to end.

7. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "The Phantom Menace" is superficially "happy" or upbeat. In terms of its tone, I think that it is generally sillier and more playful than the other episodes in the saga, but that in of itself is somewhat deceptive. It is almost as though there are two concurrent tonal rhythms at work in the picture which both compliment and play off of one another. While the surface level appears to suggest innocence and lightheartedness, the underlying progressive story arc leads directly into the beginnings of sadness and despair. Such matters are not explicitly developed in the movie, but they are introduced, in part as a matter of foreshadowing. Even though "Phantom" is concerned with trade disputes and war, these things are realized in an almost evanescent manner; as the film progresses, its conflict gradually becomes more specific and personal - therefore, its implications are more affecting. We have moved from distant objectification of nameless beings and systems, to very immediate interpersonal drama.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It is the happiest. The one with the most positive thoughts, I would say, though looking the ?entire saga, TPM is the worst episode in my opinion.

9. The_General_Grievous

Jan 8, 2005
    im not asking your opinon of the film im saying that it is the happist of the saga

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    "Before the dark times; before the Empire."

11. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    On the outside, maybe, but once you look underneath, it's probably one pf the darkest endings in the saga. One of the heroes dies, an untrained Knight gets stuck with a kid he's wary of as is, the Sith are out and about, the Council predicts a cloudy future for all, and through it all, the person they should fear the most is standing right in their midsts smiling.

That final shot of Palpatine always creeps me out.

12. The_General_Grievous

Jan 8, 2005
    the end is super evil, hes just smiling there thinking how hes gonna **** them all up

13. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    A NEW HOPE is the happiest episode, it has a light tone & the good guys win in the end.Even though the empire remains undefeated the rebels have made positive steps & are feeling pretty good about themselves.Compare this to TPM, the Sith return, Qui-Gon is slain(no self sacrifice ala Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon is Murdered)& the Republic is placed in the hands of the man who will cause the death of millions of innoccents.It has a superficially happy tone, but it is not a happy story.

14. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    order of happiness(#1 being happiness)

1.Return of the Jedi
    2.Empire Strikes Back
    3.A New Hope
    4.The Phantom Menenace
    5.Attack of the Clones
    6.Revenge of the Sith- this is the darkest and saddiest of all so much death and betrayal

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    How do you figure that ESB is "happy"? It is certainly the darkest of the five films that are out thus far.

16. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I think it's the happiest because in the begining the republic is still seen as strong and reliable, all the characters are young (Qui Gon, Yoda, Mace not included) its all about friendship and building friendships. Although bad stuff happens....Qui Gon...Shmi and Anakin, it really is uplifting. I think something bad and good always happens in SW movies, even ANH which was supposedly lighthearted played with deep issues as well.

17. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    No it's not the happiest. Nobody looks happy in this episode. You know how the OT was so full of campy fun and expressive characters, well that's what's missing here. It's too, like Obiwan puts it "civilized". Other than Jar Jar, hardly any main player shows any convincing cheerfulness...ever. (Not a movie killer mind you.)

I suppose that's why jar jar was there in the first place; to inject all the melancholy attitudes with some life for a change. Hmm... well anyway TPM's the most colorful, but it's not the happiest to me.

18. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    TPM is a cartoon

19. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    happy = jar jar; yes i know i know. but still....

overall phantom is not a happy camper movie, though. we are in the glory age of the jedi and everything is shiny and new on the surface but the corruption and the crumbling are already beginning. one of the saddest moments for me is the death of qui gon and obi wan's anguish at the loss of his friend and mentor. nearly-tear producing is the farewell of mother to son as shmi makes the personal sacrifice to ease her son's departure and counter his reluctance to leave her. what does your heart tell you?

20. The_General_Grievous

Jan 8, 2005
    i remember i saw TPM when i was 9 or 10 and when qui-gon got stabbed i was like noooooo, getting stabed in the stomch dosent hert that bad, he cant die,

21. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    Empire Strikes Back is second happiest is because no one important dies on the good side although it is pretty dark but not as sad as A New Hope or The Phantom Menenace in my opinion

22. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    The happiest of the 6 movies, but also features the most frightening baddie (Maul) of the saga interestingly enough.

23. Precious_Bass

Precious_Bass Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    ROTS is the darkest then ESB then AOTC then ANH. ROTJ and TPM were too child-friendly which is why they seemed so happy happy.

Ciao!

24. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    yeah it is pretty happy...but then again ROTJ was very good as well

25. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    It seems to be happy, and almost all the characters are happy. All but one or two characters, in my opionion, is happy at the end.

Palps is very happy. It's the very beginning of his purge (Qui-Gon is dead and it wouldn't surprise me if right after he returns to Coruscant he woes Dooku).

Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, and Jar Jar are happy because they think they've won. For Padme, it's on to the life she expected. Obi-Wan and Anakin move on with thier next mission.

Qui-Gon and Darth Maul are dead, so they don't count.

Mace Windu doesn't seem to happy, nor does he seem worried about the Sith. It seems to me (based on AotC) that he, and the rest of the Jedi (save one) aren't really concerned about the return of the Sith.

Yoda definatly isn't happy. While at Qui-Gon's funneral, he may not know what's going on, but by AotC, I think he knows. He also knows that, he, himself, can't stop it alone. At around 900, he undoubtly knew survivors of the Sith Wars around 1000 years before TPM, and he knows how to see them. He knows. He just can't stop the speeding train by himself and hopes the other Jedi can figure it out in time (I guess they write off his 'ramblings' about the Sith as some sort of crazy old man talk). I get this opionion from the lines "To many Jedi are to certain of themselves," and his response to Obi-Wan's comment that the clones let them win the day on Genosis.

"Victory?. . .Begun the Clone War has."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.