PT TPM underrated

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by matt0812, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. CalJedi Jedi Padawan

I like what you said and I agree with you, Phantom is an underrated film. I think that one thing that made TPM so great was the fact that it was the first Star Wars movie to hit the theaters since 1983. They did a great job marketing the film and made the summer of '99 the Star Wars summer. Great film. Definitely underrated.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    I wouldn't say it's underrated because, some of the acting and editing hurt this film. I remember seeing it on opening day and noticing that some of the scenes had that tv movie feel to it, especially the dinner table scene. Bottom line, it felt like amateur acting meets amateur directing. In fact, it felt like that with all of the Prequels, but it did get better with the subsequent films.
  3. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    Nothing people say about the acting in Phantom Menace cannot also be applied to the other 5 films. I'm not commenting one way or another on the quality of the acting in any of the films, but when people compare the acting in Phantom Menace against the classic trilogy, their opinion of the classic trilogy is clouded by years of acclimation to the originals. If you compare Luke in A New Hope against Anakin in Phantom Menace the acting is really quite similar.

Now to actually comment on the quality of the acting. Without trying to appear like I?m making excuses for George Lucas, I really do believe that acting (and dialog) style found in all six films, for better or worse, is modeled on the Saturday matinee serials we so often hear of, mentioned as his inspiration, in various documentary material.

Furthermore, a lot of opinions, especially on Anakin's acting (in all three prequels) are based on unfair assumptions. Among many detractors its all about ?I don?t like Anakin?s acting,? ?I don?t like the character,? ?He?d too childish,? or ?He?s too whiney.? Personal opinions are replacing subjective criticism. No legitimate artists sets out to make all characters ?more to the audience?s liking,? Sure, some characters are made to be liked, but many are designed to be hated. I think Anakin is there to make us feel as uneasy as the character does in his own skin. He?s an awkward character. Both Jake and Hayden gave performances that make us feel awkward. If you cringe when he says ?Yippy,? or ?No its because I?m so in love with you,? then Lucas has succeeded. Real young people feel awkward and embarrassed when they try to express themselves but know that it didn?t come out quite right.

Even if George Lucas isn't a master of dialog I refuse to believe he can't tell a good line from a bad line, not with his experience. In Star Wars he doesn't use the easy line or the expected line, he uses the right line.
  4. Palps Force Ghost

star 1
    In some ways, I think that The Phantom Menace feels the most epic of the PT. Maybe even the entire saga! There's something about it that feels genuinely epic and unique.

Does anyone else think so? :D
  5. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    THIS!!!!!!!
    In so many ways, the prequels are a success simply by getting people to react so strongly. Anakin is the easiest character to identify with in the entire story, IMO. And he's NOT a hero. HE'S ALL TOO REAL FOR THAT!
  6. Shira_Adola Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with GeneralCeel. It took me a long time to get over my dislike of jake, but once i did, i realized why he made me cringe, and now i really do enjoy watching him. and (this is biased) i don't understand how someone can say how much they worship luke, then turn around and say they think anakin is too whiny. They act very similar, although in general and (i admit) for very little reason, i really dislike luke...*cringes away from fans*
    TPM is probably my favorite out of the entire saga. I can't even really explain why, apart from it's the one that I feel i can relate to the most, and i think it has the best music score.
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    Any word on a complete and cohesive edit in the upcoming 3D release that would really help this movie? If not then, how about any scenes with Darth Maul that didn't make the final cut before? TPM could use alot more of the Dark Lord, especially scenes with dialogue. What with Maul being the hot topic these days, I'd expect to see something new added to the first prequel in the re-release this Februrary.
  8. Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I highly doubt it. TPM is a piece of ****, as we all know, but given the lack of substantial changes to the film on the blu-ray box set (apart from digital Yoda), I'd wager that Flukas is more or less content with the movie.

The prequels, and TPM in particular, make me upset. I really hate them. I think they're ****. The OOT - this is what I grew up on. THIS is what I grew up on!

*sigh*
  9. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Um, "as we all know"? Nice try.

Also, we got the memo a long time ago. You hate the prequels, as we all know.
  10. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Yet, he has watched them over 40 times. As we all know.
  11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Chosen One

star 4
    I don't think they're ****, but I do think they need a good edit here and there.

Take for instance. How does Qui-Gon know kitster's name when Anakin first shows his friends the pod racer?
  12. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    IMO the dinner/meal scene on Tatooine shows Jake and his acting at their best and his solid connection with Shmi.
  13. Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Jake Lloyd was ****. His Anakin was an annoying twerp who should have been eaten by Gardulla the Hutt.
  14. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    But you love it. You've seen it over 40 times.
  15. Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'll watch whatever I want, thank you very much. Back on topic...TPM is in no way, shape, or form underrated. If anything, the film is overrated. Phantom Menace is a ****-poor excuse for a movie. The fact that it's a Star Wars movie disturbs me to no end.

Theoretical physicists, is there any way to go back in time and re-make the last three Star Wars movies?[face_laugh]
  16. SambX Jedi Knight

star 1
    No, but there is an easy way to avoid them. Even without time travel.
    You're doing it wrong ;)
  17. Separatist101 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    well the outside bits are, you cant deny that
  18. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Nobody is saying otherwise. My point is that you're being very hypocritical about this.
  19. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    This guy is not unique. I know about a half dozen people who hate TPM but have seen it like 30 times.

I don't get either.

Usually when I hate a movie, I either watch it once, or stop watching it midway through its running time.
  20. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    That's what I did with ROTS. I watched it once all the way through, and I now turn it off halfway through its running time. [face_laugh]

I don't think I've seen TPM 30-40 times, and I definitely think it's underrated.
  21. matt0812 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for keeping this topic going for so long :), I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but it also felt the most mature of the prequels, I mean Revenge of the Sith was the darkest, but not the most mature. Other than Jar-Jar there was little comical actions, the charecters for the most part were serious and it felt like a classic trilogy film. The other Prequels reminded me of when Lucas made the Special Edition's and added all that clutter. Episode I kept it simple for the most part, just like New Hope.
  22. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    TPM just got better, and it has nothing to do with 3D.
  23. Obi-Chron Force Ghost

star 4
    TPM, as it stands, holds its ground. I think Lucas did a decent job jump starting his franchise with the film.

I lament what could have, and arguably should have been with Maul cast as Anakin's nemesis instead of Dooku in AOTC and ROTS. The darkness that surrounded Maul would have produced the cold sweat, dry mouth reaction in theater goers that Vader did in ANH and TESB, and the Emperor in ROTJ.

I could take Jar Jar if Obi-Wan just didn't pull off that silly 'fingertip force leap' from the Theed reactor vent, while Maul (who held the "high ground," BTW) stood motionless . . . watching the amazing Kenobi perform his incredible Jedi feat.

That aside, the film does what Lucas intended it to do.
  24. Darthman1992 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    There are a few people who have admitted that here, and it does not make sense as you said. Why watch a movie you don't like. If someone doesn't like the Prequel Trilogy the Original Trilogy still stands on it own well.

And yes, I do think this movie is underrated (though I am still not sold on the idea that most of the world hates this film, or the PT for that matter) It's got its problems like some of the acting and Jar Jar being a bit over-the-top at times, but overall I think it's a fun adventure film.
  25. Grand_Moff_Jawa Chosen One

star 5
    I saw most of TPM on TV last night. It was the first time in several years that I've seen it. I was shocked by how outdated the effects looked, especially Jar Jar and the rest of the Gungans. The battle on Naboo truly looked like a video game to me. And the acting and dialogue? Cringe-worthy in spots. This movie has not aged well, in my opinion. Still, the Jedi/Maul battle was still pretty good. I guess we as an audience have higher expectations now than we did in 1999.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.