main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM underrated

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by matt0812, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, absolutely! It is one of my favorite scenes, because of all the things it implies about what is going to happen 10, 20 years later and nobody there could have any idea except for Palpatine... then you hear his voice... "now they will elect a new Chancellor, a stronger Chancellor". And for a second I think I can hear his voice reaching the lower range that you associate with the Emperor (or Darth Sidious).

And what's even more awesome, now that I've seen ROTS, is that I can see the Senate chamber and remember what is going down after Order 66... Palpatine calling Yoda "my little green friend" and then the part of the duel in the Senate itself... chilling!!! I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

That is precisely why you should never completely trust *anything* that a politician says. ;)

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I think that its starting to become an undeniable fact of life that TPM is one of the most underrated films in history and absolutely the most quickly and overly scrutinized.

Despite the 3D re-release doing great there are STILL people who would fight and argue, nitpick and become ridiculously upset at just the idea of now having to show a basic respect for TPM.

The film has become the very first star wars movie to make ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Honestly is their even any world records left for this film to break?

After all has been said and done it was the gen-x cultural backlash and internet fanboy movement which made this film so controversial. It changed the film industry by making epic special effects blockbusters the focus of hollywood for almost a decade. It quickly became one of the top 10 most successful films in american history. It has since had 2 very successful re-releases. All the television premieres and home video releases have been wildly successful. More than ten years latter people are still talking about it and debating it endlessly and the 3D re-release looks to be making just as much if not even MORE money than the 1997 re-release of ROTJ --AN OT FILM!

This cannot be ignored and/or played down any longer! TPM will go down as one of the most underrated films in american cinematic history. Two or 3 more generations from now they will be colleges studying how and why such a backlash of fighting to deny the success of something so popular and timeless could happen in a culture.

Like we useto say on here around 2004 and 5 the resistance can be compared to a generational divide between a rock bands new songs and old songs. One side enjoys all the bands songs and the other side wants everyone to only acknowledge the old songs and boycott anything new. The sad part is that the new stuff isnt even new anymore! [face_laugh] Its over a decade old with even newer generations running out and enjoying it, treating it as a classic!

And instead of being proud of the band for this achievement the haters are still fighting it. Still! With youtube videos and nit-picking of plot elements and boycotts and propaganda and forced memes and all it does is become this hipster subculture of people who clam to be Star Wars fans when they are just trying to be apart of the greater SW phenomenon but they do it dead wrong when they make it so the only way your cool is by saying how much you hate it. Its quite ironic actually.

Well I just got back from seeing TPM 3D for my 4th time and the theater was almost half full and the people stood up and clapped as they were leaving...for the 4th time! For a 14 year old movie available everywhere on a sunday afternoon. Not bad.

3. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Hyperbole much?

4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Well put, well said. I've been a huge fan/supporter of TPM ever since I first saw the film in May of '99; I remember seeing the film in the theatre for the first time and being floored with the Jedi battle in the beginning; the escape from Naboo; the initial scenes with Darth Maul on Coruscant; Coruscant itself, which was a visual treat; the Tattoine scenes & the awesome podrace; the return to Naboo; and of course the ending scenes with the space battle/land battle/lightsaber fight. I actually joined theforce.net later in Summer '99, initially for the sole purpose of discussing TPM. Not only has this film been debated endlessly over the years, but, IMHO, the film has probably been debated/argued about more than any other film, ever - the fact that this was the first new SW film to come out in the Internet age has a lot to do with this, of course.

IMHO, after reading endlessly on the topic, two of the main criticisms of the film are Jar Jar & the Battle droids:

- Jar Jar: First of all, I've never understood all of the hatred/malice towards this character. IMHO, he provided the much-needed comic relief in the movie, i.e. he was a kind of replacement for the amusing antics of C3PO & R2 in the OT. Sure, he was a hapless fool, but that's what made him funny, IMHO. And, it was also important to

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't expect appreciation for the prequels until the old crowd dies out and a wave of people giving new found respect for the PT when GL dies.... :'(

6. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I think my biggest problem with TPM is that I find it simply boring. Seeing it in theaters again, it bored me out of my mind. I'm able to watch AOTC (watching right now!) and ROTS countless times, but never really be bored by them. I guess I've just seen TPM too many times, but still, it needs more "oomph" to it, IMO, which I thought the next two prequels had. I hope I could see it with fresh eyes, because I can understand why anyone would like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.