main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM wasn't showing us a 9-year-old Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SomeRandomNerd, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    *sits next to AgentCoop in anger on that one*

:mad:

2. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Is this the "spoiler" from the trailer, still? (Which is now on a TV spot too...)

3. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Dude, it was very unclear who or what he was hitting in that trailer until the spoiler crowd started cluing everyone in about it. Yes, it's a spoiler.

4. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    Well, in that case I can only apologise.

In my defence, I was under the impression that it was common knowledge in the Episode II Spoiler Free forum, and therefore among the Spoiler-free community in the forum.

I've PMed CBJedi and asked him to remove it.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes but frame by framing is a desperate act for fanboys who are starving for spoilers.

;) :D :p

6. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    Or spoiler-free nerds who get so bored at work that they make wallpaper out of stills from the trailers...

;)

7. SomeRandomNerd

Dec 20, 1999
    Hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone...

8. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Had to bump it before it got pruned.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

9. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    From reading all the postings some of you guys sound like flim makers...So what flims have you made in the past years ? any hits ? Just wondering what kinda of movies you made so we can compared them to George Lucas's movies.

10. AnikaSky

AnikaSky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2002
    Actually in some of the Jedi apprentice series books(the ones that deal with a preteeen Anakin) Anakin is potrayed as more isolated and troubled. He is not yet as cocky as he is in ep II but there are indicators of his problems. There are actually references to how he only has a few friends.

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well, i guess it was not that tramitic for Luke to lose the two people who were at the time, his only known living relatives at the age of 18. Being older, it just passed over him, no pain at all...

About all he had to say about the death of his aunt and uncle was, "There's nothing for me here. Now I want to be a Jedi like my father." In fact, Luke was far more upset over Ben's death, a man whom he knew for the better part of a day, than he was about the deaths of the two people who presumably raised him.

O.K., carry on with the discussion. I just felt like pointing that out.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It was showing us a 9-year-old Anakin Skywalker, and that's a lot more important to me.

As for Luke, well, ANH is only set over a small period of time. Maybe he's just one of these people that have delayed emotions like that, and mourned them more afterwards.

It's like when my grandad died, it didn't really sink in until a few days after.

13. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    When I heard that Lucas was going to introduce Anakin as a young child, I kind of imagined something structured similar to Superman (the Christopher Reeve version)

In Superman, the audience is introduced to Clark Kent as a young child. The film flashes forward a few years and we see him as a teenager at high school. We see some of the problems he has with the other kids and we see him discovering his powers.
    His father dies and we see him leaving home to find answers. He harnesses his powers and he moves to Metropolis to work for the daily planet.
    In Superman, we see the planet Krypton destroyed through a natural disaster and the life of Clark Kent in something like 30 minutes, so why is it necessary to show Anakin as a 9 year old for 2 hours? The impact of Anakin leaving his mother was lost in all of the other guff that was in the film (IMO!!!)

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    It was important to show when Anakin became a Jedi, why a boy his age is considered too old to be a Jedi, what was so special about him that would spark Qui-Gon into taking him to Coruscant and have him trained as a Jedi, how he met Obi-wan and became his apprentice, and how he met Padme and became attracted to her as well as maintaining those memories of her throughout the gap between TPM and AOTC.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
  17. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    you know there are lots of extermely talented child prodigies out there and i can tell you that the vast majority of americans have no desire to see a movie about any of them, save searching for bobby first. if anikin was 18 at the start of the PT it would have been better, more character developement, an actually meaningful relationship between him and padme, more meaningful action (cause you might care about charaters), aniken could have been developed as a full on hero, not accidental, and there so much more

18. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Making Anakin 18 in TPM makes about as much sense as making Haley Joel Osment's character in A.I. 18 years old. In other words, it makes no sense.

19. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    We don't follow Osment's character past the 6th Sense, so it's different altogether.

20. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I find TPM's Anakin to be a very likeable, and I credit this to Jake Lloyd, who has to be the most overly-maligned kid in recent history.

I also think he's a highly quotable character.

Sure, some of his dialogue is delivered a little badly, but I think most of the criticism is based on problems people have with Anakin's portayal- I don't think his performance is at all bad.

21. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Firstly, a writer/director give the actors the words to say and decides when he is happy with how they say them, so lets keep off the actors backs a bit.

And thematically, childhood innocence, is the ONLY place the PT could have started, since the six films play out two versions of growing up, bad and good, and the ever over open door to redemption. We see Anakin going wrong and we meet Luke when he is at the point that Anakin started to make the wrong choices.

Dramatically there had to be a ten year gap between the first two stories to allow changes in the galaxy to take place. And if there is a sense of naivety about TPM it's because of what's to come. Disagree if you want with the specifics of what is presented, but in terms of themes, the story had to start before Anakin was troubled in order for the story of how he became troubled to be told.

Jake Lloyd does a good job and since, as with Hayden there are good performance moments and bad performance moments, you have to look at what they were given to do and say, who gave those orders, and, ultimately the lack of quality control absolutely, positively inherent in having a genius at the helm.

When someone has a lot of good ideas, they also have some bad ones, but who is going to be able to tell the person who has the ideas that some of them are bad?

22. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I dunno... coastguard?

8-}

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Moving to PT.

24. DarthPaul77

DarthPaul77 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Jake Lloyd, as well as TPM in general, has a generic "bad vibe" associated with it due to the fact that OT fanboys didn't get what they thought they wanted. Now believe me, I'm fanboy. I've been an OT fanboy for 25 years. But when TPM came out I allowed myself, as GL did, to expand the SW universe. You just have to think outside the box. The first night I saw it was the midnight show and yes to be honest I was a tad disappointed. Didn't live up to 25 years of my imagination. Saw it the 2nd night: GOLD !!!!!

The reviews weren't that bad at all, and most focused on acting and dialogue (as per usual).

IMO:
    - The dialogue was just fine. Maybe the best out of the entire PT.
    - The acting was fine. Also possibly the best out of the PT.
    - Character development: well, thats a tough one. There really wasn't much of it, but it wasn't a story that spanned a long period of time. In the the time frame the movie covered people didn't have time to change. So the gripe is invalid.
    - Jake Lloyd: everytime I watch TPM I say "what are those bashers thinking? are they watching the same movie?". I think he did an excellent job. He was a kid that made be believe that, well, he was a kid! An innocent, generous child who knew he had more of a meaning in life. Sure he said some stupid things, but I hear kids stay stupid things all the time! IT WORKS... WELL !

The best about TPM: The first 10 minutes, the pod race, Darth Maul, the soundtrack, Duel of the Fates (the fight), little Anakin, young Obi, Qui-Gon, Padme.

Love it.

9/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.