TPM Will Be Viewed as Sheer Brilliance After Ep. 3

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by JediNdaCity, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Master

star 4
    If you're trying to be a peacemaker I suggest you not make inflammatory statements like that one. All you are saying with that statement is that people who may disagree with the assertion "TPM Will Be Viewed as Sheer Brilliance After Ep. 3" are not only wrong, but hateful as well.

Certainly not. I was merely trying to make light heart of the arguements that have arisen as a result of this subject, like they so often do. By saying my statement was inflammatory means taking what I say literally - lets be honest splitting the topic in two is not really a plausible idea anyway is it.

If I meant my statement literally then I would be being ignorant to your second comments, which I fully respect and accept.
  2. VCT Force Ghost

star 3
    Ah well, apologies for misinterpreting your intention McDaddy. :)

I guess I'm just getting a bit tired of the notion that if someone is critical of TPM or didn't love it, it is often taken to mean that he/she must hate it. The usual followup to that presumption is "if you hate it so much why are you even here," "I don't go on discussion boards of movies that I hate and post about how much I hate it," etc. It really doesn't allow for intelligent discourse.

3. Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Master

star 4
  4. I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Master

star 4
    i will say i only read the first post and of course the topic but my feelings are that when or after episode III comes out everyone who has shown negativity (not necessarily extreme hate for the prequels) will come around and proclaim how much they have always loved the prequels and blah blah blah....and they will just make themselves look like complete morons...at least to me they will
  5. winter_chili Force Ghost

star 5
  6. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    From a story point of view, well TPM will be viewed as brilliance.
    Look at all the foreshadowing and hints within nearly all the scenes of the film that point to the future films, and what happens.
    TPM really sets everything up very well leaves alot of things to tie up, which are just now being tied up by AOTC and soon Episode 3.

From a fandom point of view? Nope. Those "fans" who have disliked TPM and AOTC wont be enthralled by Episode 3. They're basically a lost cause as far as I'm concerned.
    But those who really appreciate TPM and the PT in general, those who really count to me, will really view TPM as sheer brilliance. But then thats the majority of the fans here anyway.
  7. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well Episode III has the potential to show why certain matters of character development and execution were needed in TPM or fail to do so. Is it so much a matter of brilliance vs. lunacy or Lucas knowing the end of his story so he can hammer out the events leading up to it?

No, he didn't have the scripts for Episodes II and III hammered out from the beginning, but he had specific ideas about what he was trying to accomplish and where he was going.

There are many ways to reach a destination. In the overall context of the PT, we will be able to judge for ourselves if Lucas' execution was sloppy and mismanaged or right on or somewhere in between. But currently we are missing an important piece of the equation, the final chapter of the PT, and without it we are just jumping the gun and second-guessing. That's part of the frustration, but we just have to deal with it.

For instance, in between TPM and AOTC we wondered why so much time was spent with Qui-Gon in TPM. All we had was evidence inside of TPM. That evidence points to a strong role model for Obi-Wan and Anakin, but was that enough? AOTC takes it further, we see how well (or lack thereof) they get along without this important mentor, and hopefully Episode III will make things more clear in terms of Anakin hearing voices, anything about Qui-Gon that has been hidden from us so far, etc. This is just one function of Qui-Gon's character that is apparent in the PT.

More questions arise. Like are Jar Jar's antics needed? Lucas was driving home the point of a movie with an overall child-like innocence feeling complete with young queens and heroes with great responsibility thrust upon them and demon and wraith-like enemies, but are the clownish antics taken too far? (And for that matter what about Threepio in all the other SW films?) I doubt Episode III can provide much insight on this.

So I've given two examples. One where I think Episode II helped and Episode III will most likely continue to do so. And one where it seems the point behind it is less aparent in the following films and lies within TPM. One of story development and one of Lucas' eccentricity. And it's not like these eccentricities are a new thing (i.e. a cantina full of silly aliens, Threepio, Yoda's early ESB antics, some of the citizens of Jabba's palace and some ewoks, etc.)
  8. JediNdaCity Jedi Master

star 3
    I haven't posted on this topic in a week and I come back and NOW these last few posts are excellent! THIS is the discussion I was looking for! Keep it up guys and thanks for the insight.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.