main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM wins "worst sequel in cinema history" title.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ree Yees, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I just heard it on the radio. "The Phantom Menace" won the worst sequel in cinema history title, above such other nominated titles as 'Batman and Robin', 'Highlander 2' etc.

While being a basher, I have to say that most other nominees are far worse sequels than 'The Phantom Menace', the only problem is that 'TPM' is the one movie that was important for people.

2. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    TPM isn't even a sequel :p It's a prequel...

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I read that too (on IMDB's Studio Brief, I think) and refused to post anything about that garbage.

Batman and Robin was far, far worse than TPM, I think. And while I haven't seen the Jaws sequels, I don't remember much good being said about them.

Granted, I am more an SW fan than a superhero fan and spend more time on the Internet for SW stuff than superhero stuff... but I have yet to see ONE PERSON (ONE!) say they liked Batman and Robin. NOT ONE!

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    No comment.

Although I will say 20 years later and I'm still waiting for another Star Wars movie to come out.

5. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Although I will say 20 years later and I'm still waiting for another Star Wars movie to come out.

Did the fact that it said "Star Wars" at the beginning not clue you in? [face_plain] Sorry if you didn't like 'em, but the fact remains, this is what the creator of Star Wars wants to do with his saga.

TPM and ESB I consider the anomalies of the saga (TPM feels much lighter; ESB feels darker). The other three (ANH, ROTJ, AOTC) all feel pretty much the same to me--high adventure, fast-paced silliness in space.

But thank you for adding your bash to this thread and contributing intelligently to the discussion at hand. [face_plain]

(So what did YOU think of Batman and Robin?)

EDIT:
    No, come to think of it, Rick McCallum doesn't love you.

6. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Batman & Robin was worse. Much worse.

No, come to think of it, Rick McCallum doesn't love you.

Suits me! I don't love him either considering what a poor producer he is.

There is only one Star Wars producer and his name begins with G and ends in Z.

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    TPM is the worst sequel ever? Who makes up this crap? Besides, THE MATRIX: RELOADED is the clear winner in that contest!

8. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Hmmm... does "Leonard Part 6" count as a sequel? [face_mischief]

THE MATRIX: RELOADED is the clear winner in that contest!
    I've not seen TMR, but I gotta say, it would have to be pretty darn bad to beat some of the stinkers out there.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "I just heard it on the radio."

So you heard it off the radio? You seem to forget to tell us where you heard it from and who mentioned it. Care to tell us, or is this another persons opinion that you seem to herald as fact. Shall I make a topic about my friend's opinion about Episode I? He loves Jar Jar Binks, as much as I do, but does he really deserve his own topic where it can be discussed elsewhere.

Been four years now. Surely you tire of this? :confused:

10. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Jaws 2. I'd love to choke whoever's responsible for that abomination.

11. TheAnointedOne

TheAnointedOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    You can read it here:

http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2003/20030527.html

For what it's worth...

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    For what it's worth...

Which isn't much.

13. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace has been voted the worst movie sequel of all time in a poll by American TV network E!."

I'm sorry, but that says it all. [face_laugh]

14. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    No, TPM is *not* the worst sequel ever.

Batman and Robin is terrible. If anyone deserves the death of a thousand papercuts, it's whoever decided to green-light that piece of monkey trumpets.

Highlander 2 is right up there as well (and Highlander 3, for that matter). Any film where they can't even decide what kind of sword Connor will be using in the final fight, let alone the plot inconsistencies, the atrocious dialogue... Bah!

And surely they haven't forgotten about Blues Brothers 2000 - if anything killed a great premise, it was that, that, *thing*...

Battle for the Planet of the Apes, anyone?

Most of the Friday the 13th sequels, anyone?
    Most of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, anyone?
    Most of the Child's Play sequels, anyone?
    Alien: Resurrection?
    Austin Powers in: Goldmember, anyone?

The list goes on and on and on. I was disappointed with the film, but it never moved me towards nausea or violent, explosive, er... can't finish that sentence on this site...

15. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I liked Alien Resurrection, and Bride of Chucky (child's play sequel). I don't like them a lot, but they were not that bad (I would watch those instead of TPM).

- And yes, I somewhat enjoyed Batman and Robin!!!
    It wasn't good, it was...ok, bad, but in an 'if I was 6 years old I would like it and it's kind of funny how stupid it is' kind of way ;)

But yes, TPM was not so good. Prequel that is, not sequel. Not the worst sequel ever. Maybe worst prequel, because I can't think of any other prequels ;)

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, it is not the worst sequel or prequel.

It is merely the worst first Star Wars Prequel.

:D

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooops! [face_blush]

18. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Highlander 2 is right up there as well (and Highlander 3, for that matter). Any film where they can't even decide what kind of sword Connor will be using in the final fight, let alone the plot inconsistencies, the atrocious dialogue... Bah!

You see that's why you watch the Highlander 1 and 4. The make mcuh mroe sense then 2 and 3

19. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    TPM wins "worst sequel in cinema history" title.

And this fact is it? Or merely subjective opinion?

The fact that TPM made a censored of money and was in fact a hit ever cross anyone's mind?
    No of course not, god forbid we actually be reminded that TPM was actually a good puller for audiences and was liked.

Anyway.......

Profanity is not acceptable. Do it again and you'll take a vacation.

20. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    You guys fail to realize that they are basing their rankings on expectations. No other movie in the history of film had such huge expectations as TPM. Regardless of how good TPM was, it would be nearly impossible for the film to satisfy everyone. So in other words, no matter what, TPM was always destined to be the WORST SEQUEL EVER MADE.

Worse than, Batman & Robin, Beverly Hill Cop 3 and all those other crappy sequels that no one cared about.

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    One day, I have a dream where all people can appreciate TPM's many wonderful aspects while learning from the faults as well. It is a good film.

22. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    So you heard it off the radio? You seem to forget to tell us where you heard it from and who mentioned it. Care to tell us, or is this another persons opinion that you seem to herald as fact. Shall I make a topic about my friend's opinion about Episode I? He loves Jar Jar Binks, as much as I do, but does he really deserve his own topic where it can be discussed elsewhere.

Been four years now. Surely you tire of this?

Excuse me while I devour my tomato soup. Who cares where I heard it from - that's not the topic. It was on the radio, I heard it while I was sitting in my colleague's car driving back home from work. It was probably a feature based on that imdb.com article someone else presented in this thread (thanks).
    There isn't a bash in my topic, so you probably didn't read it. It's been four years now, surely you tire of this? ;)

23. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Do not agree. Don't care waht the expectations were. This movie rocked. Lots of other sequels sucked. Jaws: The Revenge anyone?

24. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I still cannot believe TPM supposedly beats out Batman and Robin, Jaws: The Revenge, Blues Brothers 2000. I don't know if any film could go as low as those. The good thing is that I can't think of anymore horrible sequels right now, so I won't be subjected to recalling their dubious plotlines.

As someone mentioned before, isn't it ironic that TPM is dubbed "Worst Sequel of All-Time" and it isn't even a sequel, rather a prequel.

25. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    Jaws 3-D and Jaws: The Revenge were much, much worse than Jaws 2.

How about Rocky V for a stinker? Or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace? Anybody ever see Evening Star? Excocist 2? Truly putrid, and I'm only naming sequels that followed good movies(or series that at least started out good).
    Hmm... what was the subtitle on Excorcist 2 anyway?

And although I'm in the minority on this one, I think TPM is better than AOTC. Of course, to be fair, I think TPM is better than ROTJ - the worst SW movie, sequel or prequel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.