main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Trade War

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Some questions: is a global trade war really happening?

If so, what are the economic and political consequences in the US, in North America, Europe and Asia.

Just off the top of my head:

Even a pre trade war of verbal threats can have economic and political consequences, eg tanking global financial markets, suppressing the economic activities of sectors that anticipate being affected by tariffs. A verbal pre trade war could impact economic growth, trade and unemployment.

A hot trade war definitely can have those kinds of consequences, and there have been any number of analyses on the short term economic impact.

There's also the danger of escalation when the trade war goes hot. Does it become a currency, investment, credit/debt war in addition to an escalating tariff and counter-tariff war?

Then there is of course the potential for undermining, possibly even destroying the WTO and the breakdown of diplomatic relations between and among nations if things get really ugly.

Domestic political consequences for the trade warriors if economic activity sours is another thing to look out for. In the US the Republicans who have been complacent about Trump because tax cuts can now think about what a trade war could mean for the record breaking net worth of the top .1%

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Are you sure you don’t want this tagged Senate?

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The Senate is dead.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably a good idea. I know the US markets have been affected today by speculation. Not so much here in the UK - the FTSE 100 closed down around 27 points so not bad. Last time I looked the Dow was down over 300 points.
    Also depending on what is chosen for tariffs, consumers may see higher prices on those items.

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that would be great, thanks.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    thank you!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Learn Mandarin. Not American Mandarin - Mandarin Mandarin. Practice your bow/curtsy.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think it also needs an exclamation point.

Or would that make it sound like a Broadway musical?

Rylo Ken and heels1785 like this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

And Russian.

Mortimer Snerd and Darth Punk like this.
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    With Trump that should be a pre-requisite

Juliet316 and Darth Punk like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A trade war seems pretty clearly underway. We already have one complete round of tariffs, and from several countries counter-tariffs. Trump has moved on trying to implement counter-counter-tariffs. Seems like we’re well beyond the Rubicon.

I think the more pertinent question is whether several countries can’t associate to create leverage against the American position. You know, much as was planned against China in very limited fashion before Trump blew everything up.

15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Just kiss your pimp BMW goodbye

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I wonder how easy it is to win a trade war against a country like China that constitutionally is likely much more able to absorb public opposition arising from economic pain inflicted directly onto its citizens from an escalating tariff war. What amount of domestic economic distress in the form of unemployment and higher domestic prices would it take to get Xi Jinping ousted from power as opposed to, first, Republican congress being voted out, second, Trump being denied a second term, or third, domestic economic stress that might spark impeachment proceedings.
    I've been scanning the Handelsblatt every morning for signs of this ever since the G7-1 moment.

17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Until and unless the Trade War hits Trump's base, I doubt anything of substance will happen.

That being said, I know that the rich, country-club Republicans in the Senate aren't too thrilled with what's going on. The problem is, Trump has now tied his personal sense of self-worth to the tariffs (much in the same way he has tied family separation to being 'tough' on illegal immigration). It's going to have to get pretty darn far out of control for the GOP to muscle up to him and demand a change (and even then, I'm skeptical they'll make any real effort to reign him in).

A trade war will likely bring on, if not a recession, a significant slow down in either growth or wage hikes. At the same, prices will rise. That's probably not good for the party in unified control of Washington. Which is why I'm surprised at the deafening silence from GOP leaders on Capitol Hill as this situation escalates.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Trumps base is either dumb/stupid or too rich to care

appleseed likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Trumps has to appease a base. Xi Jinping only has to appease a room of nine people.

20. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    There are some very rich people in the USA and internationally currently crafting a bullet with his name on it.

If Trump thinks US President is the most powerful person he is going to find out at some point how wrong he is......... a fraction of a second before he enters the oblivion that is death.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The last thing anyone needs here is for Trump to be raised as some sort of martyr, it will set the US back decades to at least the 18th century in their thinking.

Trump needs to be called out as the racist he is and for his house of cards to come falling down his burnt orange features.
    I wish him well in prison I really do

22. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I agree it would be bad for the US if he was assassinated

But a trade wars going to make him some very powerful enemy's who would care little about the ensuring riots amoung us " little people".

FatBurt likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    This will not happen.

Diggy , tom, Darth Guy and 4 others like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Trade wars are hilarious when you consider:

a) The US built this house on foundations of everyone consuming exported American products, and
    b) the idiot in the white house doesn't understand this.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Xi can also very justifiably say that America started it.