main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Tragedy] How Qui-Gon could have changed the course of Anakin's life

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dark Lady Mara, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I admit it, this post was inspired by the forum banner. Looking at the juxtaposition of the images of Qui-Gon and AotC Anakin made me realize just how much I wish Qui-Gon could have survived long enough to train Anakin. He had seemingly infinite compassion for Anakin in TPM, and we can only imagine how that would have translated into the job he would have done as Anakin's master. Personally, I think the reason Anakin eventually turned to Palpatine for support was Obi-Wan couldn't do an adequate job of being a surrogate father to him. But I bet Qui-Gon could have. He probably would have been far more sympathetic to Anakin's penchant for thinking of the rules governing Jedi conduct as loose guidelines, too. Anakin's strong passions wouldn't necessarily have had to lead him to the dark side if he'd had a master who taught him how to channel them properly as a Jedi.

From now on, I'm probably going to think of the Duel of the Fates as the moment when Anakin's fate as a future Sith lord was sealed. I almost wish it had been Obi-Wan who died in Qui-Gon's place. :(

2. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Qui-Gon always believed in Anakin, Obi-Wan only took Anakin as his his Padawan because of his belief in Qui-Gon. I have recently been reading the Episode 1 novelisation again, an interesting point from the book is that Qui-Gon, following the council's refusal to train Anakin and their return to Naboo, fully intends to take Anakin back to the council for reassessment. He 100% believes Anakin will be a Jedi.
    Interesting you mention the lightsabre battle in TPM. I have always seen the fight as mirroring Anakin's life. In the beggining the light side is dominant with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan overwhelming Darth Maul, this mirrors Anakins inocent childhood and life as a Jedi Padawan. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are seperated and Qui-gon is killed this mirrors Anakin's detatchment from the Jedi and his fall to the dark side. When Obi-Wan finally fights and defeats Darth Maul this mirrors Luke's struggle with Darth Vader to turn him back to the good side and Anakin bringing balence to the force.

3. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    I am not sure if Qui-Gon had survived, then Anakins fate would have been different. It is possible to assume that it would have. Anakin was much more like Qui-Gon then he was like Obi-Wan. Anakin doesn't play much by the rules, but his loyalty is what made him a great Jedi. Obi-Wan took Anakin, not because he believes Anakin is the choosen one, but because he felt he owed it to Qui-gon to train the boy.

4. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I don't think Anakin's fate would have been any different, either. Anakin's always complained that Obi-Wan was holding him back. He doesn't obey instructions that well. Not just instructions given by Obi-Wan, but by the Council and others above him in the Order. If Qui-Gon would have survived the lightsaber duel on Naboo against Darth Maul, he would have taken Anakin back before the Jedi Council. The Council denied Anakin once, they would have done it again "Chosen One" or not. And Qui-Gon would have ended up training Anakin with out the permission of the Council just like Obi-Wan told Yoda he'd do right before Qui-Gon's funeral. If Qui-Gon would have lived, Anakin would still have made his fall to the Dark Side. His mother would have still died in his arms. He would have still killed all those Tuskens to get his revenge for his mother. So, really, Qui-Gon wouldn't have changed Anakin's life. He did believe in Anakin, but there's too much fear inside Anakin. "I sense much fear in you." That's what Yoda told him when he went before the Council. I've often thought about what it would be like if Anakin wouldn't have been trained. It would be rather bland. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.