main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada TRAILER D IN CANADA ... ABORT ABORT

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Uilmuteiz, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I talked with some strange lady at global this afternoon, and it seems we (canadian) probably don't have the rights to distribute this trailer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO baah guess we'll have to download it to see it... :( :_| :_|

well YJN, let us know what you think of it since you got satellite you'll probably be lucky enough to get the REAL FOX network to which I will be sending an e-mail in about 5 minutes.

Crap.

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    We have our Y.J.N. club party on Sunday.

I think Mark also has a U.S. satellite.
    Should be fun to watch it as a group.

3. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    Ack. I figured as much. :(
    * curses the CRTC *

4. Gungan Din

Gungan Din Jedi Padawan star 3

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not the CRTC's fault.

It's Global and/or Lucasfilm who have decided not to run it in Canada. The CRTC's rules are designed to protect the local stations' ad revenue, so they can stay in business.

The problem I have with this is this clause in the CRTC's regulations:

"Signal substitution occurs when a cable company inserts the signal of a local or regional Canadian TV station on the channel of a more distant station showing the same program at the same time. For substitution to take place, the local or regional TV station has to make a request to the cable company in advance. In addition, the programming on both channels at the time of substitution must be 95% identical."

Fox is promoting the trailer as content, not a commercial. I saw an ad last night promoting Malcolm in the Middle, followed by the trailer, followed by the X-Files. For a show to qualify for signal substitution, the content on each station must be "95% identical", which is 28.5 minutes in a 30 minute show. Unless the trailer is less than 1:30, they shouldn't be substituting the Fox signal.

5. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    We might be saved yet! Just read on TF.N's main page that FOX is going to be re-running the trailer during the late news that night! And I DON'T think that Global is going to be over-dubbing that. :)

6. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Where is that stated, exactly?

7. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    I.HATE.GLOBAL

'nuff said

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Wait... are you telling me that when we watch American networks here, such as FOX, we're getting a feed from a Canadian source, with advertising revenue going to a Canadian company, like Global, which is quickly monopolizing the Canadian news media industry? So, even if we watch one of those American shows, we're supporting a Canadian company? I always thought we were throwing money accross the border. That's why, whenever the same show is on a Canadian channel and an American channel, I always watch it on the Canadian channel.

I.LOVE.GLOBAL/CBC

9. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Die CRTC DIE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.