main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga trailers and tv-spots

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Nov 16, 2011.

1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Because I know there is going to be a lot of stuff flying around about advertising I just want to be the first to say that no matter what happens for the 3D Re-release, the best advertising ever in movie history imo was the tv spots and trailers for TPM in 99. I truly believe that the original tv-spots for TPM are some of the most beautiful, well done, 100% character driven and character themed, touching and effective advertisements for a movie ever in history and thats what I truly believe.

Whatever new ones they come out with are going to be great im sure, but nothing will ever approach the level of class the original trailers and tv-spots for The Phantom Menace.

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Absolutely agree. I remember going out on the deck after watching the TPM trailer and having a four-way duel with my friends.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSH3n_up6LE

Best. Star. Wars. Trailer. Ever.

4. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    They were pretty good yeah.

Although I couldn't see them before release, living in France (TV spots non authorized for upcoming movies over here...). I still rewatch them, trailers especially, from time to time.

But never say never again...;)

I'm with you. Terrific.

But best Star Wars movie ever as well. It kind of helps too !

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    True, but one of my favourite SW trailers is the 'Breathing' teaser for AOTC, & that was, IMHO, the worst film of the lot.

What I love about that ESB trailer - and it wasn't the first trailer, plus there's a couple of slight variations, it's apparently the 'International' version - is that it takes me back to 1979/1980. I may well have seen it before a movie when i was five years old, & I can just imagine my five year old self having whatever film I was off to see being rendered meaningless by that two minutes of Star Wars. Not to mention the very probable scenario of me ruining the following film proper for whoever took me along & all around by babbling non-stop about said two minutes of new SW footage for the next couple of hours.

I don't actually remember seeing the ESB trailer, but chances are that I did, and what's so fantastic about watching that trailer now is that it really takes me back to a time when we were all in love with Star Wars, but anything beyond the first film was completely & utterly unknown. No Yoda, no Lando, no dark backstory involving Luke's heritage - and that trailer explained nothing, it simply said, "There's more. And there will be more after that. Enjoy."

6. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Right. I too liked the teaser trailers for AOTC, though the movie turned out to be rather disappointing (especially after multiple viewings.)

About ESB's trailer, that's what I also meant a little. It sure really brings back to the good old days of 1980-1983, and the excitement of more to come.
    Not to mention quality of the editing rythm, pace, and shots selection.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, at first I was like "seriously, uncompleted lightsabre effects in a trailer?" But that is one good trailer.

Not as good as the TPM teaser, though.