main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Training Luke and Leia

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Visitant, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But in ESB, Yoda says that everything depends on stopping Vader/Palpatine and ONLY a trained Jedi could do this. And, apparently, Luke and Leia are the ONLY two people in the entire galaxy that are suitable. If Luke/Leia are not trained or are both killed then all hope is lost and the Sith will rule forever, at least according to Yoda. So them being trained not only makes sense but is apparently crucial.
    Given this, why risk Leia's life by letting her run around and be hunted by the empire?
    If she dies, they have just squandered 50% of their meager resources.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Bail wanted her to be part of the Senate and the Alliance. Obi-wan and Yoda had no involvement in that and the fact is, she needed to be out there.

3. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I think when they split them up giving leia to ball and luke with Owen was because they wanted leia to have political influence and they wanted luke to live a life similar to anakin on tatooine because even the Jedi didn't sense his power on that planet so they figured luke would go unnoticed by the empire until the time was right for him to be trained they knew ball would have leia rebel against the empire so if she were trained vader and the emperor would've felt the threat she could become

4. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Because Luke is a boy...just kidding.:p
    I just figured the same thing I think someone else said, Leia was groomed to be in politics, and she was their fallback if something went wrong with Luke.
    Although since the PT, I wonder if it's because Luke is older by like a minute..not that it makes a difference. LOL

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ^^

Obi-Wan and Yoda were in exile. Neither had involvement in the upbringing of Luke and/or Leia.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yoda does say that everything depends on them defeating the Sith, but the film doesn't exactly say that Luke and Leia are the only Force sensitive beings left in the galaxy. That would make zero sense.
    Granted, Obi-Wan says "That boy is our last hope" and Yoda responds with "There is another". It's understandable that some would interpret that dialogue as "Those kids are really their last shot", but I think that Luke and Leia were just those best suited for the task, given their relation to Vader.
    On the other hand, Yoda is getting REALLY old and he is the last known Jedi Master in the galaxy. Who's going to train new Jedi to defeat the Sith if he, Luke and Leia are all lost?
    On the third hand, Obi-Wan did recalibrate the coded signal from the Jedi Temple, cautioning other Jedi to run and hide but on the fourth hand, no other hidden Jedi are ever mentioned. Obi-Wan and Yoda don't seem to count on anyone but Luke and Leia.

7. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    From what the films tells us, it very much seems that Luke and Leia are the only people in the whole of the galaxy that have any chance to conquer Vader and the Emperor. But this can only happen if they are trained as Jedi.
    Even if we assume that they are just the two most suitable due to their connection to Vader or what not. Does it make much sense to wait three years when Luke and Leia are hunted by the empire and could get themselves killed? Does it make much sense to train just one and let the other run around in the galaxy getting herself captured or killed. Esp since they knew that Vader would be hunting for people that are close to Luke. And esp, as you said, when Yoda is very old and if Luke proves unsuitable and he dies before Leia can get to him, it is all over. Even more esp given all of Yoda's misgivings about Luke.
    The first draft of ESB made the most amount of sense here. There Luke's sister Neelith was hidden and in training by another Jedi.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    You know, the more I think about this, the more I get the feeling that they were making up their plan as they went along.
    Remember what Yoda said in ROTS: "Until the time is right, disappear we will."
    They were waiting for the Force to lead the way.

Then remember this: "He is not ready", later followed by "Told you I did. Reckless is he. Now, matters are worse."
    I really don't think that Yoda wanted to train Luke at that particular point in time. He'd wanted to wait for Luke to mature. I know, that doesn't rhyme well with "He's too old", but seriously, he'd say anything to convince Ben and Luke. It was clear that Luke would not be deterred, though, so Yoda caved and gave the boy a chance to prove his worth.
    Ben knew that Yoda wanted to wait a while longer, of course, but as Luke lay there in the snow on Hoth, the old man started to fear for the boy's life and sort of panicked. Besides, Luke had already taken his first steps into their world, so it wasn't like he sent him completely unprepared.

When it comes to Leia, I think Ben agreed that the time wasn't right. She knew nothing about the ways of the Force and had other things on her mind. It would take a lot to open her mind to their teachings. The Force would simply have to bring her to them.
    Also, it's probably wise not to train both of them at the same time, in case the Sith find them.

Later, when Ben says "That boy is our last hope", he's likely referring to the likelyhood that if Luke fails, Leia will end up either dead or in the care of the Sith.
    Yoda still has hope, though.

Sarge likes this.
  9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    No, he was referring to the original plot of Luke and Leia being unrelated and therefore they were screwed now. Yoda knew had an unknown twin sister else where, which Obi-Wan was unaware about. Then RoTJ and the PT retcon that entire scene.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    What we're discussing here is the current, retconned scenario. I think you understand that.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's what I said. Though Obi-wan did try to integrate himself, but kept getting rebuffed by Owen.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, think it's canon that Owen pretty much told Obi-wan to sod off a few times.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi - Owen starts out respectful - but is much more unfriendly in his last scene, a few years later.

14. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    But even if we go with all of this, there are still problems.

Obi-Wan and Yoda Hid Luke and Leia so that the Sith would not find/sense them.
    This worked fine until ANH. Luke was not the Sith's radar and they knew Leia but only as a senator that might be a rebel sympathizer.
    After ANH, that is totally different. Luke and Leia are now wanted by the empire and if caught, they would face execution. At some point between ANH and ESB, Vader found out about Luke and got obsessed with finding him. So secrecy is no longer a shield for the two Skywalkers.
    Luke is known and while Leia is not a known Skywalker, she is still wanted by the Empire.

So Luke and Leia are in danger and if the Empire finds them, they could get captured or killed. Either option is a disaster for Yoda and Obi-Wan.
    Esp considering that Luke and Leia are together, so if the Empire finds one, they will find the other one as well.

So it doesn't really make much sense for Yoda and Obi-Wan to let Luke and Leia run around while the Empire is hunting them down. Their deaths would destroy their hope of ever stopping the Sith.

In ESB, Luke is brought to Yoda, either he ok it or Obi-Wan did over his objections. Either way, he clearly has reservations about Luke. Reservations that are borne out when Luke leaves early.
    So why not bring Leia instead? If Yoda distrusts Luke so, why not try Leia?
    Or bring them both. Yoda has apparently been able to avoid detection by the Sith for a long time. So Dagobah is out of the way and Luke and Leia are safer there than probably anywhere in the galaxy.

By training both of them, Yoda gains time, which is something he doesn't have a lot of given his age.
    Also, Yoda and Obi-Wan would probably know that Luke is close to Leia. And if she is caught by the Sith, the Sith could use her to draw Luke to them. So another reason to have Leia with them.

In closing, the story from the first draft, where Luke's sister is elsewhere and is also trained makes them most amount of sense. Then Leia is not a potential Jedi so not interesting. Luke is not the first option, his sister is. So Yoda can afford to not train Luke.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    So they must have sensed that they weren't really in danger of dying. It's not until Luke is on the verge of freezing to death that Obi-Wan seems to fear for his life. Either it's the first time Luke's survival was uncertain, or it was simply one time too many for Obi-Wan.
    Or, he just got tired of begging Yoda to let him send Luke to him.
    It's possible that Yoda finally agreed to having him come over, though.

Because, as I said, she wasn't ready either.

The fact that Yoda's managed to stay hidden doesn't guarantee that the Sith won't sense the training of two Jedi.
    Also, I believe that Yoda trusts the Force. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. His age is not an issue for him. Luke and Leia being ready for Jedihood is, though.

The fact is, every plan has pros and cons. What's in the movies is what they decided upon. They took a few gambles and it looked pretty dark for a while, but in the end, it all turned out just fine.
    They could've done things differently, but there would still have been risks involved. There's no getting around that.

Sounds terrific, but they just didn't end up in such an ideal situation.

Iron_lord likes this.