main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traitor (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Wylding, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    I'd like to know if any of you have read traitor. If so, what do you think of the conclusions that Jacen comes to regarding the force?

This whole idea of all is one (regarding the force) makes sense in a way, but it could open the door for some super characters...people who try to use both the dark and the lightside. Plus it brings up this whole buisness of a "grey jedi." The very term makes me shudder.

Anyway, if you've read it, feel free to express how you think it will impact your campaigns...if at all.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Our campaigns are:
    a) 100 years before TPM, and
    b) Immediately following AOTC

so I think we're good for now.

I also tend to dismiss the "grey Jedi" philosophy in general, and certainly for game play. The characters are balanced to be good... to make them anything else could unbalance it and be "unfun"...

3. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    I love the time period of your letter a. I think there's something so freeing about playing before all the essential movie stuff happens. It gives everyone more freedom in my opinion...

You make good points about balanced play. That's one of my main problems with the whole idea of using both sides of the force, it ruins balance.

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I love pre-movie settings. I recently finished a game set 4000 years before TPM.

The concept of the grey Jedi not only unbalances the game, but also does not fit with what we know of the nature of the Force. The dark side corrupts those who use it, even if the person uses it for a noble purpose. According to his bio in the RCRB, Dooku tried to use both sides and was eventually joined with Sidious. The dark side took him without him realizing it. This is the fate of all that use the dark side.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is the fate of all that use the dark side.

Did you read Traitor yet? Just curious...

And we're eventually going to try a campaign about the founding of the Jedi Order I believe... so that's like 10K years in the past or so... should be interesting...

6. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    The only NJO that I have read in the sourcebook, but I have no aversion to spoilers, so if you have a counter argument based on events from the novel, go ahead.

In game terms anyone who uses the dark side gains a DSP, which symbolizes the taint of the dark side. Once a person has chosen to take the "quick and easy path" to solving his problems he will be more likely to do so in the future. If the player plays the character properly this is what will happen. While it is true that DSPs can be negated through meditation, if a character continues to use the dark side without regard for the consequences, meditation will no longer be effective, because there is no real remorse for using this route; therefore the dark side will still corrupt the character, unless he stops using it altogether.

That campaign does sound like fun.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In game terms anyone who uses the dark side gains a DSP, which symbolizes the taint of the dark side. Once a person has chosen to take the "quick and easy path" to solving his problems he will be more likely to do so in the future. If the player plays the character properly this is what will happen. While it is true that DSPs can be negated through meditation, if a character continues to use the dark side without regard for the consequences, meditation will no longer be effective, because there is no real remorse for using this route; therefore the dark side will still corrupt the character, unless he stops using it altogether.

Right... hence my specifically not liking the concept of "grey Jedi" for the RPG as it becomes unbalancing.

However, Traitor does posit the theory that there is no dark/light side -- only how you use the Force...

8. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    So how does that theory work out for the person that tries it or will that be resolved in later books? It sounds alot like what Dooku was preaching before he left the Jedi. Look how that turned out.

I do not like the idea at all. It does not work in the game, and it does not fit with the philosophy of the Force that has been established in the movies.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So how does that theory work out for the person that tries it or will that be resolved in later books? It sounds alot like what Dooku was preaching before he left the Jedi. Look how that turned out.

I do not like the idea at all. It does not work in the game, and it does not fit with the philosophy of the Force that has been established in the movies.

A LOT of people feel that way.
    I'm one of them (though not as hard-core as some of the others).

And it seems to be turning out okay so far... one book does not a trend make... ;)

10. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I can't believe that Vergere's idea even made it to a book, and that people are so quick to jump on the wagon and agree with it.

She wasn't a Master and I believe she hadn't even become a Jedi so her theories are based on little training and colored by years of spearation from the GFFA with heavy Vong influence. It spits in the face of what we learn in the movies.

As for the game, I've often thought that the rules on when a character should/should not get a DSPs were a little strict but I would never allow Vergere's idea into the game. It would definetly be unbalancing.

11. Sian

Sian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    I love pre-movie settings. I recently finished a game set 4000 years before TPM.

Yes, a glorious era it is. I myself have staged several episodes in this timescape.

My three episodes are called

- Rebirth
    - Warriors of the Force
    - Knights of the Old Republic

I just hope my webpage will be up and running soon, should you ever want to download any of these.

Cheers.

12. Wylding

Aug 13, 2000
    It's one of my hopes that WOTC will come out with a sourcebook for the ancient era, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

I've got some great ideas for prestige classes from that time, but I won't give them up here. Maybe someone from Wizards will pay me a little $$$ for them. :D

13. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Sounds interesting, Sian, Let us know when you get them up.

I am hoping that some information about that era will be in the Power of the Jedi book, to compliment the information about the ancient Sith found in the dark side book. Although I would still love to see an entire book devoted to that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.