main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traitorous Knight (an Arthurian/SW crossover) Author's Note: Aug 4, 2004 ... post to follow...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    The premise is: Obi-Wan becomes a Knight of King Arthur's Court, you get to guess which one!

This idea was tossed out by Miana Kenobi, and she has graciously given me permission to write it, or at least start it. This is a serious story, but with a lot of room for humour and romance... hope you all like what I want to do here...!

And big thanks to Miana Kenobi for her brilliant concept! (And for saying yes! :))

*Derisa Ollamhin*

?Avalon?? Obi Wan looked the question at Master Yoda. The diminutive green Jedi Master had his head
    cocked as he answered the quizzical regard with a steady look of his own protruding blue orbs. ?Why does that
    name sound so familiar, Master Yoda??

?All things tied together are, Obi-Wan. Causal is the universe, and this you must learn, soon,? came the
    croaking and cryptic reply. ?The importance of this world sensed has been, and their need for a champion. Go
    you must.?

?Yes, Master,? the handsome young Knight responded. ?And Anakin? He seems a bit young for this mission,
    Master...?

?Yes... a concern your Padawan is.? The aged Master considered briefly, closing his eyes to better listen to the
    Force?s guidance. ?Take him with, you must. This I feel.?

Obi-Wan nodded, taking up the datachip with the mission?s details on it, and he bowed deeply to the wise old
    Master before departing the meeting room. Yoda sighed, and stumped to the door himself, his gimmer stick
    tapping the floor in the familiar halting rhythm.

[i]A deeper journey, this mission is,[/i] came Yoda's quiet thoughts. [i]Ties to the metaverse there are here. Tread
    with caution he must.[/i] But he could think of no better Jedi to send on this most vital mission, than Obi-Wan
    Kenobi, the epitome of the Jedi.

- - -

Merlin rolled over and sighed. He didn't know if his prayer to the gods had been heard, but he could only
    hope. [i]Arthur, my boy, you'll have to stem the tide of darkness just that little bit longer: I have called for the
    Champion to make himself known, now all we can do is wait, and wait for the gods to reveal him.[/i]

The stone under the old man was chilly, and he rucked up the fur-lined cloak's hood to better pillow his silvery
    head. The stars blinked coldly over head, impossibly near and yet always just out of reach of his grasp.

[i]Who knows what secrets you hold, you stars? I have watched you all my life knowing there were stories I
    would never know, being played out there, in your light and the infinite blackness between. It is the saddest
    thing to me that I will die never knowing those stories.[/i[

His eyes slid shut, and missed the star alighting to earth so close to his hidden place in the hills, bearing within
    its carefully crafted steel frame the Champion he had called for, and a boy as yet untried to play the role of
    faithful Squire.

But some part of him knew, and he dreamed that night, a true dream of a green-eyed man with unruly reddish
    hair, with such intensity in his gaze and such grace and inner stillness, that Merlin knew: this was the greatest
    Knight ever to set foot on Avalon?s sacred soil

2. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Hey, good concept, and I like the opening! (I'm not going to jump in -- brain's pretty fried! -- but I'll definitely be reading along.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    hey, no problem! Derisa made a new thread for it cause i mispelled it in the first one. (it was 1 am. give me a break)

great job! be my guest to write it. i only had the idea, but have no clue what to write. If you want it to be a RR, go ahead.

4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks JG, I appreciate the encouragement. And you keep going with The Penitent...eagerly waiting the next bits! ;) Here's the next installment...enjoy!

***Derisa***

The dawn light cascaded over the rolling hills of Avalon, as though washing the night off the land. Mist clung in the hollows, and Anakin was glad of the warmth of his heavy homespun robe. While he had become more accustomed to the cooler tempertures of Coruscant, his bones would always long for the heavy heat of Tatooine?s twin suns.

Now, trudging along behind his Master, Anakin?s thoughts turned to their mission. He and Obi-Wan had been on four simple errands for the Jedi Temple in his two years of Apprenticeship, and this was like none of them: a world no one had ever heard of, so backward they didn?t have a spaceport? //What are we *doing* here?//

?I know the data is sparse, Padawan,? Obi-Wan reprimanded the boy gently, ?Perhaps this is how we should approach this mission: look to the Force for guidance.? He turned back to catch his Apprentice?s eyes.

?I suppose,? the young Jedi answered, his wry face betraying his lack of confidence in this plan. //I guess I?m just embarking on my childhood dreams a bit early, to see *every* world in the Galaxy...// he tried to optimise, but he found it hard to overcome his natural pilot?s dislike of a world so backwards they didn?t even have powered flight.

?Now we must look sharp, and see if we can spot any signs of habitation.? Obi-Wan ordered, ?We?ll find someone soon, I feel certain.?

Looking up the dirt road, Anakin caught a glint of the early sunlight on something that couldn?t be natural, a sharply metallic flashing. ?More likely, Master, that *they?ll* find us first,? he said, directing Obi-Wan?s attention to the rapidly approaching natives.

The two Jedi stood to the side, and both felt the tremble in the ground long before they heard the heavy rumbling noise, as a broad phalanx of mounted warriors galloped over the crest of a small hill and down the road towards them.

- - -

?It is a fine day, love,? her husband?s voice was muffled as he drew on his doublet over the fine linen of his undertunic. ?What have you planned?? he finished as his sable head popped free from the confines of the rich woolen garment.

Gwenna rose from her seat by the casement and assisted him, straightening the folds of his clothes before girding his swordbelt about his waist, her slender white fingers lingering on the catch of the buckle. The white leather of the belt stood out against the dark blue of his doublet, and she raised her head to meet the same velvety hue of his eyes.

?I know not, my Lord,? she answered, ?I had thought that we were to ride to Tintagel this week? You have accepted Cador?s offer, have you not?? she asked, her cultured tones contrasting her husband?s more plain-speaking manner.

?Aye, I have,? the tall man responded, his face growing suddenly serious, ?But I mislike the timing of it. ?Tis too close to the Tournament. Why would Cador need to speak to me now??

?My Lord Husband, the incursions have grown more frequent with the change of season. Cador is a loyal vassal,? she reassured him, ?He needs to know that you are aware of his situation.?

The raven head nodded gravely, and he turned those indigo eyes to her own softer blue ones. ?As usual, my Gwenna, you have eased my mind.? His smile was gentle, and his callused hand stroked down the length of her dark golden hair, as he leaned down to kiss her with affection. ?Now, love, I needs must speak to the Great Lords. Could you...-? he gestured past her, to the oaken box on the table just behind her.

Gwenna turned away from her husband and retrieved the heavy band from its box, using the edge of her sleeve to burnish the metal. She caught the reflection of her eyes, framed in dark lashes, distorted in the patterns of the mirror-bright, round band.

When she turned back to him, he was kneeling before her, as he had that night seven years before to b

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Cool! Great a story in which we have both Camalot and the Jedi!

Now if only someone would do the same fro Robin Hood.....

Kithera

6. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Miana it's a wonderful concept.

And Derisa. It's very clear you have background knowledge of the period. Your speach patterns and phrasing, not to mention detail such as their clothing show you've done your homework! I'm impressed!

This is definitely joining my list of threads to watch out for!

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks so much, Kit, Calamity. I am an avid historian of the Arthurian legend cycles, and a fairly serious historian in the early Irish period. Tales of Camelot have always fascinated me, and I have done a lot of reading of the romantic literature as well as the more scholarly investigations. As for the clothes, well, I have first hand experience with them: I have been a member of a large historical recreation group for seventeen years. Just wait till we get to the horses and armour... ;)

More to come tonight...

*Derisa*

8. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    You've blended two of my favorite fantasy universes extremely well, Derisa!
    I'm really impressed with your writing detail and awesome execution of Miana's great idea.
    Keep it going, I'll be reading!

9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Oh my, my day has been made.
    A story by Derisa.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    yeah, I don't know, I just sorta like always had a place in my heart for the story of Aurther and Camelot. I know nothing about it, so Derisa was the perfect person to work with.

I guess you could say I have the imagination for these things, but not the knowledge about their backgrounds.

Kit, Robin hood sounds funny! hey Derisa, you know anything about Robin Hood? ;)

I'm glad you guys like it!

And Derisa, you're wonderful!

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Not meaning to take anything away from Derisa, and her wonderful knowledge of history and gift for writing, but if you want to know anything or everything about Robin hood then talk to me.

My grade ten history teacher told her other class once that I knew more about Robin Hood then she did. The ledgends of camelot never really held as big a place in my heart as Robin, but then again I do know the Legend of Camelot by heart!

Derisa: You have the clothes? Ahh, *swoon* I have one medieval dress and my formal dress was fairly medieval. I want a sword! I have a bow and arrows set (proper and I know how to use it to)!
    Can I ask if you have the armor too? Or are you not allowed?

Ack! I'll shut-up about history now. Next year at Uni I am doing Ancient history as an arts degree....that should at least satisfy my appetite!

Now on with the story my dear and fairest lady.

Kithear

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    It's getting along lovely!!! I just love Avalon for a setting :)

Don't miss out on Excalibur!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Robin Hood, huh? well... there was a great BBC series a while ago, but I have never really been into the Greenwood legends in the same way. I have a good book on it, though, maybe when we're done with The Coruscant Jedi In King Arthur's Court, here... ;)

Here's the next bit... enjoy!

*Derisa*

"You there, hermit!" called the commander of the mounted troop, as he clanged and clattered to a halt a few feet from the waiting Jedi, raising a hand to signal his men to pull up. "Whither go you?" The dust of the road billowed up from the disturbance of the massive animals' feet, and carried the scent of sweat, supple leather and sunwarmed metal to the Jedi's nose.

Obi-Wan viewed the warrior carefully, his mind assessing the conformation and likely temperament of his steed, as well as the quality and protectiveness of the metal that clad the older man's legs and upper body, even to demi-gauntlets over his hands, the whole reflecting the early morning sun in a blinding display. One of the armoured hands held the wide reins easily, a shield suspended from that shoulder, painted with three golden cups on a green background. In his other hand held upright a long spear, its shaft the same green hue, but its deadly tip glinting silver. The others of the troop were likewise armed and armoured.

//He takes excellent care of his equipment, // the Jedi Master observed. He lifted his calm green eyes to the bearded man's challenging gaze, peering out fiercely from the metal cap that protected his head.

"We are seeking the nearest village," Obi-Wan said calmly, "Perhaps you could point the way?"

The burly warrior frowned at the robed man before him, but there was something in his posture that told him this was no traveling postulant. "There is no village here. The road you take leads only to the Lake, and the Glass Isle therein." The mount under him stamped an emphatic foot into the dust of the road, and the clanking of the troop's armour seemed to hang in the air.

"The Glass Isle?" Obi-Wan asked, recalling something from the sparse data they had gotten on this mission here in Avalon. "Can you take us there?" he asked the grizzled old warrior.

The older man looked down into the robed man's face, and drew a breath, settling his shoulders with soft clash of shifting armour. With a twitch of a long spur, he turned his charger to allow the two Jedi to walk to his side. The troop reformed around them, facing the way they had come.

"I am commanded to do just that," the mounted man replied.

- - -

The woman wore a gown of deep, rich green, embroidered at cuffs and hem with fanciful leaves and flowers, in such exquisite detail that it made hands hunger to touch it. Her hair swept off her brow like a raven's wing, black and irridescent, bound up in a net of gold and pearls which was held on by a simple golden fillet. She far outshone the two women who attended her, although one of them would have been a great beauty in any other company. The plainer one held a tray with a ewer and several goblets, and the other sat at the lady?s side, her eyes fixed on Obi-Wan?s face. A raven haired page, clad in green livery stood to at the lady's other side, his hands hanging loose at his sides.

"Lady, we have brought the travellers, as you requested," the warrior reported to her, dropping to one knee before her. She gave a knowing smile that neither of the two figures clad in dusty brown homespun did likewise.

"Thank you, Sir Owain," her voice was a smooth contralto, and her blue eyes sparkled as she gazed upon the visitors, rising from her carven throne to eye the wide-shouldered man first. She held herself like a queen. The clear green light of Obi-Wan's eyes sang praises in her heart, and she knew that here stood a true Champion: a man who would give his life easily in the service of the Light.

"What is your name?" she asked him, her pale hands cupping her elbows.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi." the Jedi stated easily.

"Oberon?!" she asked in sudden surprise, ey

14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Kit, I have worn the real thing, both clothes and armour, and I am getting back into full armoured sword combat after a ten year hiatus. I wish I had clothes as fine as these I am describing, but an Irish ban-filidhe travelling Britain in the early sixth century would wear more linen and heavy woolens than anything so fine. I have a couple of spiffy cloaks though... ;)
    Sorry about tossing out two posts back-to-back, but I am disappearing for the weekend, to go play Knights in Armour in the real world (if you can call it that): I will be back on Sunday night, hopefully inspired by rubbing elbows with Royalty, Peers, and general rabble all weekend, new post out Monday, and we will soon ahave a new author joining the thread! YAY! Anyone else interested in joining in, please PM me to discuss. Thanks! Enjoy!

*Derisa*

After a pleasant noon meal, Obi-Wan walked down to the stableyard with Nimue. Anakin and the page boy trailed them, but Obi-wan could sense Anakin?s resentment from where he walked.

?I know not what you need, but whatever I have is yours to command, Sir Oberon.? the Lady of the Lake told him. ?Owain can help you discern what it is you require, and ensure that your skills are... adequate.? The pause before this last word showed her humour at the idea that they might not be.

Obi-Wan smiled in agreeable humour, but he eyed the large reddish-brown animal being led down the wide aisle of the stable with some concern. He was relieved when Nimue made her farewells, telling him she looked forward to his company in the Great Hall for dinner that evening, before gliding away, like a swan over the still waters of the lake that surrounded the island.

?Here, now,? Owain said gruffly, as he led up the animal, ?The Lady says you are a Knight, but that things are different where you?re from. Have you done much riding?? he asked, eyeing Obi-Wan skeptically.

?Some,? came the Jedi?s hesitant response. Dewbacks were reptiliam in origin, and considerably more slow-moving than this prancing beast the older Knight held in hand. He reached out a cautious hand towards the creature, looking deep into its rolling eye. Even as his hand contacted the massive beast?s neck, the Jedi?s mind contacted the animal?s rudimentary intellect, and sent out a calming pulse of warmth and reassurance.

Owain nearly dropped the reins in shock, as the destrier stilled under Obi-Wan?s hand. ?This is Lyr,? he introduced the animal to the Knight. ?Lyr, this is Sir Oberon. Since he seems to like you, why don?t you climb up there and we?ll get you working him in the yard.? He tightened the girth on the big animal?s saddle, showing Anakin how it was done, as Obi-Wan climbed the steps of the mounting block. ?You want it good and tight, lad, so it will withstand the shock of impact.?

?What impact?? Obi-Wan asked, and Owain looked up at him with a rough grin splitting his grizzled red beard.

?You?ll find out, Sir ?Knight?,? he said, scornfully.

- - -

The air of Avalon tasted somehow different, subtly altered by some unknown events of the night, and Merlin sniffed deeply, trying to determine what the change was. He stood at the crossroads at the bottom of the glen where he had slept, it having taken him most of the morning to make his way that far. He swung Mor Ceol down to rest his aching back, for the days when he could walk for miles with the harp slung lightly across his shoulders were long fled. //So much time between us,// he thought fondly at the harp where it rested against his leg.

He looked to the south, towards the shining fortress of Camelot. Though the Grand Tournament lay less than two weeks away, in the gentle sloping fields outside of Arthur?s seat, and he knew he should be there to witness the momentous event that would shape so much of the near future of the realms of Avalon, he felt only trepidation when he faced the southern road. His heart yearned to see the young King again, but he knew his welcome in the Court would been chilly since he ha

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    cool. I have no clue who some of these people are, but cool!

Also, I thought her name was Gwennavire?? (sp?)

16. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Once again, extremely well written Derisa! You make it very easy for me to picture what's happening.

I wonder how many days it took someone to handstitch all those leaves and flowers on the dress? (A long time anyway!)

Am I right in saying Nimue should be pronounced Nim-way?

17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Cool yet another post. It took a few minutes to realise who Nimue was (before you said it, but then I did!). And the language! Eek, your writing is addictive....

Ahhh, closest I've ever come to armor was doing an oral at school for Ancient on the Roman army. My friend Kathy was in full scale Roman armor and I had a sword strapped to my hip....you should have seen the looks we got running around out quite conventional school dressed as Romans. hehehee :)

MORE!!!!!!!

Kithera

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Nimue??????

(HELP)

who's dat?

geez, this story was my idea and I dont' know half the people in it!

I get Obi-Wan, i get Anakin, I get Merlin and Aurther and Gwenna, but...

no clue who everyone else is. and why does that nimue chick call Obi-wan Oberon (sp?)???

i really need to pay attention in History...

19. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think it's supposed to be Guinevere.

It's getting on nicely!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. LukesGirl

LukesGirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2000
    Good job _Derisa_Ollamhin_!

21. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Just upping this!

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    keep it up Derisa...

For some reason i can't get that song from "South Park" out of my head....

"Blame canada..."

and we can't forget "Uncle ***ka."

23. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Oooookay... I haven't seen the South Park film, so I have only heard the song chanted at me by friends, and as a Canadian, I say, *go* for it, blame us all you want, Canadian identity rests on how we are different from the U.S., so... bring it on!

Guinevere/Gwenna Hwyfar: I have chosen one of the Welsh forms of the name, as the Guinevere form is later in origin than many of the elements I am drawing upon. In Welsh, "gwenhwyfar" translates as "white owl", or so I am given to understand.

Well, here's the next bit... more on the morrow, most excellent gentlefolk!

*Derisa*

?He?s not so bad a rider,? the younger boy said to the older, ?See, he sat that buck out just fine.?

?With both hands on the saddle,? Anakin retorted, watching his Master as the big bay horse tried his level best to get rid of his passenger. Obi-Wan?s face showed some measure of his discomfort at the animal?s antics, and he shot a dark look at his obviously amused Apprentice. //You?d like to ask me to do you better, but you know I would,// thought Anakin at him with a grin. Obi-Wan?s response was another scowl.

?Sit deeper, my lord,? the gruff command from Owain came, ?Move with him... Good! Now! Take up those reins and take them in until you can feel his mouth moving, not too much... there! Alright, now, his head?s going to drop, and the *moment* it does, you twitch both wrists in and down hard and then ease off, a bit more slowly... here it comes... Now!!!? the older man barked, and seeing the desired affect, he praised the rider, ?Good, now you have his attention! Now inside heel hard on and wrap him around your leg in the corner there. Two times around...?

Obi-Wan closed off the sound of the Knight?s voice, reaching for some inner stillness, and finding it surprisingly easy considering the rocking motion of the big animal under him. //Lyr...// he quested out with his mind, and met the strange mind of the stallion, just as the horse lowered his head to get the leverage to let fly another buck, and rid himself of this annoyance on his back.

The Jedi repeated the rein aids, and spoke into the horse?s mind at the same time, sending soothing thoughts, and felt the horse respond to the mind before the hand. He eased off on the rein faster this time, absorbing the animal?s understanding of the situation as he did so. He kept one part of him in tune with the big blood-bay, and performed the next series of manuevers with aplomb, although none too smoothly, but Owain was impressed.

?You see, Sir Knight,? and this time there was no undertone to the title, ?They move away from pressure and into steady contact.? Owain said as he led the sweated horse away, Obi-Wan at his side, and the two youngsters trailing, ?The trick is knowing which is which. And this great brute... it?s a finer line for him than many.? There was a clear note of admiration in the Knight?s voice as he swung to give the other man a friendly buffet on the shoulder, but Obi-Wan deflected it neatly without even thinking about it.

Owain handed the rein to a stable boy, ordering him to walk the big horse cool, and turned an appraising eye on the red-haired man at his side. ?Let?s get you out of those priest?s robes and into something more befitting a warrior.? he decided gruffly.

- - -

Arthur was laughing at one of Gawaine?s more off-colour jests, when Gwenna rode forward to express her desire to speak with the Lady of the Lake as they passed the Glass Isle on the way to Tintagel. She shot the burly Knight a look of disapproval for his coarseness in the mixed company, but the young Knight only chuckled as he turned his tall chestnut back to joing the others of the king?s party.

?My Lord, I should very much like to speak with the Lady of the Lake upon a small personal matter,? Gwenna said when Gawain was well out of earshot. She could not hold his intent gaze for long, and a slight frown crossed his brow as she looked away.

?Gwenna, love?? he asked, his concern clear in his voice, ?Why??

24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Ahh, perfect another post.

Thanks Derisa, it is just what I needed before a big exam tomorrow!

Kithera

25. Calamity Jinn

May 23, 2000

Ah, Obi. The original horse whisperer!

Another good post Derisa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.