main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traitorous Knight (an Arthurian/SW crossover) Author's Note: Aug 4, 2004 ... post to follow...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    The author of this thread, _Derisa_Ollamhin_, is still banned along with anyone else that uses the same proxy server as the individual 'bad' user the admins are tryin to keep off the JC. There won't *be* anymore posts from her on this or any other JC thread unless the admins are convinced to lift the ban on her server and allow Derisa to return. Show her your support by posting it, people, she can read all your comments, she just can't post or get private mail!

Thanks again,

- Rani

Lift the ban on Derisa's proxy server!

2. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Two days unjustly banned, and counting...

...UP!

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    YAY!!!

I'm back....

(Run Obi, RUN!!!)

Thank you so much Rani and everyone who posted in the thread, and emailed the admins... (Love the new sig, Rani...)

And thanks as well to IronParrot, who was very patient with an obnoxious whiny fanfic author laying her troubles on his doorstep...

*Derisa*

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    glad to see your back!

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Hope you can forgive the length of this post: had a lot of images to include...

Enjoy... (I did...)

*Derisa*

Obi-Wan had left the hall a good hour ealier, with his young squire in tow, and once the dances had done, Arthur had stayed down with his Companions and the Glass Isle?s Knights Protector, drinking and discussing plans for the upcoming campaigns.
    The two noble ladies had taken that time to themselves to discuss Gwenna?s concerns.

?I can only advise on the optimum conception times, noble Lady, and perhaps recommend a time of retreat here on the Glass Isle to help you focus and keep you safe while your Lord my brother prepares for war...? the Lady of the Lake offered slowly.

Gwenna nodded. ?I should like to speak more on this on the morrow, if we may? Kernow is only a day?s ride, perhaps Arthur could ride ahead...?

?He could, but I misdoubt me he will want to leave you, your Grace.? Nimue observed as the two women made their way from the noise and heat of the hall to the galleries that overlooked the practice yards.

A flash of moonlight on metal from the yards below caught Nimue?s eye, and she moved to gently hush her companion. Gwenna?s eyes widened at the gesture, and the two women crept stealthily further along the colonnade, to get a better view of whoever might be practicing at this late hour. Nimue was not surprised to hear the voice of the younger of her Otherworldly guests.

?Master, you are an acclaimed sabre fighter,? Anakin said clearly, ?I don?t understand the need for *this*.?

Obi-Wan had stripped off his doublet and undertunic, baring finely drawn arms to the chill night air as he swung the new sword through patterns of swing and parry. The moonlight shining through the leaves of the rowan trees that were interspersed through the yard dappled his muscular torso with hypnotic patterns of leaf shapes and light, and both women stopped suddenly, rivetted in place by the sight.

The red-haired Knight stepped through an intricate series of strokes, his body sweat-shimmered in the night, and a frown of concentration on his brow as he manuevered the unfamiliar weight of the weapon. ?I can hardly use my lightsabre against these more primitive weapons, Padawan,? he chided the boy as he swung, ?It would not be fair.?

?What?s fair about forcing you to handle weapons *you* aren?t familiar with? What?s fair about expecting you to compete against the best warriors this place has to offer?? Anakin reminded him sharply.

?I am following the guidance of the Force, Anakin. Still yourself and you may hear that guiding voice, too.? The reprimand was mild compared to some he had recieved, but still Anakin seethed.

Obi-Wan finished the combination and then rolled his shoulders, a small wince crossing his face. ?I am unaccustomed to the weight of this weapon,? he admitted. ?It?s quite the workout just to swing it, and I have to caution myself not to overextend.?

Anakin watched as his master switched hands and swung through a couple more combinations. ?You have to use more co-ordinated hip and shoulder movements,? he noted.

?Yes,? Obi-Wan agreed. ?And although the single hand grip lengthens the reach, it also decreases the defensive options, unlike our usual weapons.?

Anakin gave a small yawn, but Obi-Wan caught the covering hand out of the corner of his eye. ?Time to call it a night?? he asked the boy gently. Anakin nodded and then held out the sheath for his Master. The sound of the metal quillons clicking against the metal band of the top of the sheathe was very loud in the still night air.

As the Jedi made their way through the arch way at the end of the practice yard, Obi-Wan drawing on his tunic as they walked, the two noble women faced each other in the gallery above. A shy smile passed between the two of them as they acknowledged their shared appreciation for the strong beauty and ruggedness of the male form.

?For all his flaws, he is certainly a fine-looking man,? Gwenna conceded at Nimue?s gentle proddi

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Glad that you are back Derisa. WE would have missed you if you had gone!

That was wonderful, really and truly spectacular!

Kithera

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  8. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Loved the post Derisa! I'm so glad you're back again and posting with us.

Mmmm, watching Obi practice in the moonlight, glistening muscles....could be time to swoon now....... (Thump.)

9. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Wow! I love this story, the first crossing over I've seen of two of my favorite genres... it's a shame to see it buried so far down! Up! :)

I was in my AP Lit class yesterday and my teacher showed a video on the Arthurian legend... complete with about three or four minutes of footage from the SW trilogy and interviews with GL, commenting on the similarities in themes between the two sagas! Of course-- for once-- I was riveted to the screen. :D :D It got me remembering how much I meant to read this story-- I peeked in here before but never bothered to post. The description and imagery here is terrific; it's like I can see this story playing out in my mind. I look forward to more, Derisa. :)

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks for the feedback, Alderaan... um, do you suppose I could get the name of that film from you? I'd be very interested to see it myself. (I suspect it was the Joseph Campbell "Nature of Myth" series, but... confirmation would be good).

Thanks for dragging my poor thread up from the deopths. I do not even want to know what page it was on. :)

Here's the next piece... more to come... I'm trying for a post every two days.

*Derisa*

The next morning, Obi-Wan was awakened by the sunlight piercing the windowless embrasure in his and Anakin?s stonewalled rooms. The clear golden quality of the sunlight was unlike anything he could recall seeing, almost thick and sweet, like honey. The morning air seemed to breath with a life all its own, and he found his connection with the Force stronger and brighter than the night before.

He slid out from under the sleeping furs, running a hand through his sleep-tousled hair, and peered out of the stone-rimmed window, the morning air chill on the bared skin of his chest, lifting the fine hairs on his arms. He watched the mist rising off the lake, obscuring most of the shoreline for a few minutes, the peace of the moment timeless and refreshing to his soul. He could hear, strangely magnified, the sounds of Arthur?s camp across the water, and caught the smell of woodsmoke on the air. For some reason, he was oddly comforted by that scent, and he turned away from the window to pad across the chamber to the ewer and basin that had been set up for the convenience of the guests.

He laved his face, rubbing ruefully at his stubble, before noting the fine-edged knife resting on a towel beside the basin. With a faint smile, he set about shaving. When he had finished he combed his unruly hair with damp fingers and turned to wake his Padawan.

Anakin lay sprawled on the pallet at the foot of the larger bed, his dirty blonde hair sticking up at odd angles, and his eyes pinched tight as he tried to snag a few more minutes of sleep.

?You can?t still be tired, Ani,? Obi-Wan stated firmly. He ruffled the boy?s hair and a resentful eyelid cracked open to glare up at him.

?Why can?t I?? Anakin growled back at him. ?It?s not like there?s any reason for me to get up. I don?t have to ride some great beast and get knocked about by brutes in primitive metal armour...?

Obi-Wan grinned. ?No, you get to help me put on one of those iron suits, and you get to watch me get bashed about. I?m surprised you aren?t leaping out of that bed in anticipation.? The Jedi?s tone was dry, but his eyes twinkled at his Padawan?s habitual bearishness in the mornings. ?Rise up, Anakin, we have a long day ahead of us.?

Their breakfast was brought to them by the page who had attended the Lady of the Lake the day before, although he had been scarce in the hall that evening. He carried the tray of fruit, warm, fresh baked bread, and soft cheese with the ease of long practice, for all that he couldn?t have been much older than nine. In his other hand he carried a pitcher of watered wine, and a pair of chased silver cups were slung on straps over his shoulder.

?Her Grace, the Lady Nimue gifts you with these, with her blessings on this bright morning,? the raven-haired child said by rote, presenting the cups, one each to Obi-Wan and his apprentice, after he had laid the meal down on the small table by the window. He then stood patiently by the table, as if to attend the two Jedi as they ate.

?That?s quite alright, you don?t need to stay...? Obi-Wan remarked, but the pageboy shook his head at him, looking at him almost slyly.

?I serve where the Lady sends me,? he informed the Knight, and there was a strange edge to his voice. ?If you send me away she will be much wroth with me. She may even have me beaten.?

Obi-Wan?s eyes narrowed as he sensed something awry. His connection with the Force was trying to alert him to an insubstantial danger, somehow connected with this pale-skinned child with his eyes, a deep, dark blue, so very like the La

11. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Nice scene you created Derisa. Living in Scotland I've visited numerous castles/buildings throughout Britain from various centuries, and I can easily picture and feel what it's like to look out that window. Beautifully described.

12. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    I agree, very lovely scene. You've got a knack for imagery, which definitely serves well with this legend.

Actually, I don't believe it was a Campbell video... it was a "Great Books" series video on Le Morte D'Arthur, either from The Learning Channel or A & E.

Here's hoping this thread doesn't sink low again. :)

13. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    A brief note: Derisa's been banned (unintentionally) again... she'll post as soon as she gets back on. And no, it's not cuz she threatened to blow up the Jedi Temple on USJS, although she says if this keeps up...

14. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    I'll be glad to supply the explosives!

15. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    So will I. :)

Up! I really do love this story and have no desire to see it sink...

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Many apologies for the wait, guys... I am visiting a friend at present, but i will be home Sunday night and should have a post up really soon thereafter. thanks for keeping the thread nearer the top so i dobn't have to go diving to find TK...

Kinda wondering, though: I know why *I* want to blow up the Temple... what about your two? :)

Soon I promise!!!

*Derisa!*

17. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    Why? Because I need a little excitement in my life. ;)

Glad to see you've gotten away from the ban-- look forward to your next piece. :)

Because I actually sat through _First Knight_ tonight. *sighs* That movie leaves out so many of the best elements of the legend I'm not certain why they kept any of it at all... but after watching that I need my Arthurian fix here more than ever, Derisa. ;)

18. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Yay I've finally found this thread after a whole lot of time!!! I thought I'd never get to see it again...

It's a beautiful story, thanks a lot for it!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I finally, finally, had the time and the inclination to sit down and read this from beginning to end. I had looked in when it first started, but I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. Now I am! Excellently written and described! I loved it when Gwenna thought Obi-Wan was a boor, and then stopped to admire him in the moonlight. I'm glad to see that Obi-Wan caught the hint of danger from Medraut and immediately compared it to the one he remembered from Anakin. Now I'm waiting eagerly for the next post!

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Gee, Jane, thanks for the pick-me-up! And thanks as well to everyone who's been mentioning me or this story in the various voting threads... it's very uplifting to read your praise, although it makes me feel a Sithly load of guilt for not keeping up my promises to post far more regularly than I have been. But I have recently been hugely inspired on this story, so expect more from me regularly.

I do love positive feedback, but I would also love to hear from you as to what your favourite parts of the Arthurian legends are. Which stories grabbed you as a kid, and what you liked about various movies? I saw First Knight, and the best thing about it was the matte painting of the city of Camelot: *that* was perfect! Much else was very Hollywood, although I enjoyed the portrayal of Arthur as a "Northern" King: but that may just be my Sean Connery "thing"... ;)

Well, here' the next bit, hope the research shows...

*Derisa*

?First things first,? the weathered old Knight said as he laid out the odd items of metal and leather onto the arming bench, ?Strip down to your tunic and trews.?

Obi-Wan complied easily, raising an eyebrow at the smirk on Anakin?s face. ?Pay close attention, Anakin, you?ll be doing the services of the good Sir Owain next time,? he warned his Padawan. Anakin nodded his tow head, and refocused himself, but Obi-Wan noted, the merriment in his eyes stayed firmly in place.

"He'll be doing them now," Owain replied easily, "No better way to learn than the doing, is there, lad?" He ruffled the Padawan's dirty blonde hair, and gave his braid a playful tug, then directed Anakin to pick up a long, simple looking garment that sat at the end of the arming table. Obi-Wan divested himself of belt and doublet.

?First: the gambeson,? Owain explained to Obi-Wan, ?A pad of sheepswool felt, quilted into two layers of linen,? He showed Anakin how it fit over Obi-Wan?s head, ?There. Now lace it up at the sides, there?s a lad... No, not too tight or he won?t be able to get his arms up...?

As Owain guided Anakin in the armouring of his Master, Obi-Wan noted the bristly older man?s gruff tones of encouragement, and caught how at first Anakin glowed under the praise, but after a while, the boy began to chafe. Anakin was caught up quickly when he made an assumption about the next piece to be added.

?No, no, no, lad,? Owain corrected, ?Heel to head, always heel to head. After the cuisses, the fauld. *Then* the coat of plates.? Anakin?s brow lowered into a frown, and he bit at his lip in concentration as he followed the Knight?s guidance. ?Truly, Sir Knight, have you never worn armour before?? Owain asked Obi-Wan. The russet-haired Jedi shook his head, his serene green eyes catching the bright glitter of the older Knight.

?Not much point where I am from,? he said carefully. ?The weapons brought to bear against us in battle would cut through this metal with hardly a pause.? He looked down at the shiny steel plates rivetted to the thick leather of the coat, as Anakin tugged at the straps running down the Jedi?s flank. ?Battle armour of a sort is used, but the materials are very different,? he added, more to himself than to the older Knight who was overseeing his arming, ?And Knights such as myself prefer to fight unencumbered.?

Owain raised an eyebrow at the idea. ?Well, you are here, now,? he said gruffly, giving Obi-Wan a gentle buffet to the shoulder, and the Jedi realised the Knight looked on him with something akin to pity. ?We would not send you into combat unprotected.?

Obi-Wan smiled gently at the assumption the older Knight had made. He tilted his chin to the side to allow Anakin to place and buckle the gorget about his neck. He tried to catch his Padawan?s eye, but Anakin was concentrating on the unusual tasks he had been set, and did not meet his Master?s gaze.

Owain brought the arm-pieces, and showed Anakin the intricacies of their attachment to the body armour Ob-Wan wore. While the older Knight got Ani to repeat the names of the pieces

21. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Derisa, wonderful post! I really appreiciate all the work that must go into your posts. They are always so well crafted. I love it when I can learn something in the course of my reading.

Speaking of which, I am not familiar with this word....destrier .... Is it a "horsey" word? (they are too big for me, which would explain my ignorance.)

Thanks.

22. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    WoW! THat was brilliant Derisa. I almost feel like I am there, the armour was so well described that...*sigh* I want to go back to my history books and look it up all over again.

More, and more soon please?

Kithera

23. Alderaan21

Jul 24, 1998
    I agree, the descriptions in this story are terrific... I guess in this case Obi-Wan literally is a (Jedi) Knight in shining armor! :) And as for the wait inbetween posts: I take quality over quantity any day.

I love so much about this legend: the wizardry, Merlin, the Lady of the Lake and Excalibur, the father/son conflict between Arthur and Medraut, the idea of fulfilling predestiny... it all appeals very strongly to the romantic in me. :) That's part of why I hated First Knight; it had none of these things (except the triangle which has admittedly never been one of my favorite parts). I thought Sword in the Stone was adorable but if I had to choose one movie I loved about this legend it would definitely be Boorman's _Excalibur_-- one of my all-time favorite films-- seeing it again recently is what rekindled my interest in this legend; it showed so much of what I liked about it. (That, and I kind of got a kick out of seeing Liam Neeson in a pre-Qui role. :))

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    loving it! UP!

25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Great feedback, guys, keep it coming, and I'll keep this coming...

Hope you like the next bit... I'm having *way* too much fun!

*Derisa*

?Why does your Knight insist on embarassing himself with this charade?? the brown-haired boy asked. Anakin fumbled with the reins, glancing up at the older boy, but forbore to answer the obvious jab. ?Is he even a real Knight? Who ever heard of a Knight who has never held a lance??

?And what kind of Squire does such a ?Knight? have?? agreed one of the other adolescents tending to the steeds. Anakin recalled his name: Derrik. The tall boy had piercing blue eyes, and an easy smile, but his sarcastic tone was not to be mistaken. Brion, an older blonde youth shot him a glare, and Derrik had the grace to look chagrinned.

?I perform many services for my Master.? Anakin replied shortly.

?I?ll bet,? the darker haired boy said nastily. ?I heard you two came in wearing monk?s robes. Some great Knight he must be to have reduced you both to such poverty.?

Anakin did his best to hold his tongue and his temper in check, reaching for his own fledgling contact with the Force to help him contain himself, but the big horse felt his anger transmitted through the reins, and some deeper equine sense, and tossed his head as though trying to shake loose a fly. His prancing steps carried him closer to the taunting boy, and Anakin could not resist the temptation, and subtly used the Force to guide the large, heavy hoof down onto the snide Squire?s foot.

He felt a surge of guilty satisfaction at the sudden yelp the dark-haired boy emitted, his fist pounding on the solid muscles of the warhorse?s shoulder. ?Atta boy, Lyr,? he said easily as he stepped away from the knot of Squires laughing uproariously at their comrade?s discomfort, the massive destrier prancing proudly beside him. Somehow he knew the stallion could feel his approval of the deed, and he grinned wryly to himself.

His Master raised an eyebrow at Anakin?s smug look as he brought up the horse, however, and Anakin?s mood swiftly turned dark again. He didn?t need to hear the reprimand he knew Obi-Wan was thinking loudly in his direction. With a deep breath, nearly a sigh, he refocused his attention on his internal workings, and consciously tried to release his feelings to the Force. He mostly succeeded, but felt there was little harm in the small thrill of satisfaction he got as he saw the boy who had taunted him take a few limping steps to the side to remove his boot and prod at his injured foot.

The other Squires led their Knights? mounts to where the warriors waited, preparing to give his Master a practicum in the excercises of the day, tilting at the rings and the quintain, as well as a mock Tournament. Anakin bit at his lip again as he hoped against all logic that his Master, the Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, could prove the Squires? banter dead wrong.

- - -

Obi-Wan set his foot to the wide stirrup, held in place by the grizzled older Knight Owain, and ascended gracefully to the saddle, looking as though he had ridden, clad in these awkward armaments, for his entire life.

//Something to be said for intense physical discipline,// he thought, hearing the echo of his Master?s voice in the thought. //And for Force-healing...// he recalled the work he had needed to put into easing his body?s various aches and pains the night before.

As his buttocks contacted the thinly upholstered saddle, and he stretched his legs down and slightly forward to seat them firmly in the stirrups, he thanked the Force he had taken the time to carefully ease those muscles and tendons that had been worked so hard and in such unusual ways on the day before.

He reached carefully out through the physical contact with the concentrated power that was the warhorse under him, but the big stallion?s mind felt strangely focused to him, as though he had already settled to his job for that day. //He is a well-trained animal, for all his fire,// Obi-Wan considered, //But I suspect my Pada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.