main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traitorous Knight (an Arthurian/SW crossover) Author's Note: Aug 4, 2004 ... post to follow...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Cool! Am I allowed to cheer uproariously (as all good peasants should) for Obi-wan???

Kithera

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I was more excited about science fiction as a child than legends and fairy tales, and I didn't really get into Merlin and Arthur and all that until I was a teen-ager, but then I read Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, and Gillian Bradshaw's Hawk of May, and although they were so different in their portrayal of Arthur and Camelot and all that, I loved them both. I think Gawain is still my favourite character.

I remember seeing most of the film Excaliber once on television, but I kept shaking my head in disgust and thinking,"What idiot thinks that the knights sat down to dine in full armour!" They probably got out of it as fast as they could whenever they weren't jousting or training, and wore their most expensive and most fashionable robes when they were at court.

I liked the description of the armour, especially the phrase "clam-shell" and the way that Obi-Wan is getting used to it and then remembers that he has to ride in it as well. The way that the other pages teased Anakin was good, and the way that he found to retaliate sounded very cunning and somehow typical of the boy who will one day grow up to be Darth Vader. Obi-Wan really should keep an eye on that self-satisfaction.

Now on with the tournament!

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    _Derisa_Ollamhin_, I just read through the whole story (coz I save it offline, *then* I read it to save money), and I was just wondering, did that irritating troll happen to be IWMIL? Coz sometime ago he came back again and caused a huge uproar in Communications and everyone was unhappy... but he can't be IP banned so the admins have to ban every single username of his.

Sorry to bring this up, just wondering who it was...

BTW, nice continuation :) Keep it up :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    In answer to your quaestion, Vallowk, yes. IWMIL was the source of both inadvertant bans. It's because of me, amongst others, that the admins have to work so hard to keep him from posting by banning each sock-puppet as it comes up. I was not the only one affected by the ban, either, but I still feel badly for the amount of effort I know goes into keeping him from disrupting the boards. All I can say is, I'm really glad we don't have to deal with his ilk in the fanfic forums.

Thanks for reading, I hope you guys are enjoying the story... more soon! (I am going great guns on this: having entirely too much fun.)

I'm glad you guys like the description-heavy style. It's a major flaw in me as an author, so I love being able to let it have free rein here.

*Derisa*

From his vantage point atop Lyr?s broad back, Obi-Wan watched as the other Knights, all members of Nimue?s Guard and under the command of Sir Owain, mounted up and selected weapons for their use during the first exercise. A Knight whose sheild bore a stylised tree, green against a white background, was taking a position at the farthest end of the series of poles which held rings appended from lengths of ribbon. The man carried a spear some two and a half metres in length, oddly tapered from a wide bell shape that obscured his hand from view to a wickedly gleaming tip.

Obi-Wan?s perceptions focused in, saw the forward incline of the Knight?s body even as the lance lowered and the reins were loosed, sending the rangy grey horse thundering down the ring run, the lance leading the way. The Jedi?s unusually clear contact with the Force seemed to contract the view down, slowing time, so that Obi-Wan could see each ring as it was speared on the carefully still lance. His brow rose, impressed, as he refocused his attention on the man bearing the weapon with such skill. The tip hardly wavered off course, even considering the heavy rocking motion of the horse under him.

At the top end of the run, five of the six rings jingled on the shaft of the lance, which the Knight raised to the sky as he reined the frothing grey to a jouncing standstill. Two squires stepped forward to receive the rings, and replace them on their ribbons, and the Knight slewed his mount around to take the return run at the rings.

?Tilting at the rings is perhaps the clearest indicator of a Knight?s accuracy with the lance,? Owain murmured to Obi-Wan, ?But it doesn?t account for the ferocity of true battle. That?s better indicated by tilting against an opponent, as you will see later. It is that which makes up the meat of our Tournament.?

Obi-Wan nodded, and watched the Knight on the heavy grey horse run the rings the second time, this time with the lance held across his horse?s neck. Obi-Wan was interested to note the sheer physical strength it must take to hold the heavy weapon off the curve of the steed?s tightly arched neck.

This time four of the six rings were pierced, and Obi-Wan watched the other Knight carefully as he sayt back in his seat before hauling back on the broad reins. Once again the grey pulled up, tossing its heavy head in irritation, and prancing in place as the rider tilted the lance down to let the rings slide free, landing with muffled clinks on the packed dirt of the practice yard. The Knight looked across at Obi-Wan, a clear challenge in his body language.

?Now I believe it is your turn, Sir Oberon,? Owain said gruffly, and Obi-Wan drew a breath and settled himself within the Force, his spirit calm as he faced the first of many challenges this day.

From the gallery, he heard a sibillance of voices, and his eyes rose, seeking the deep blue of Arthur?s regard, but catching first the paler azure of Gwenna Hwyfar, Queen of the Britons. She watched him, her face imperious, and her bearing tense, her arm linked with the brawny one of her husband, the King.

5. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    This story is amazing Derisa!
    Your descriptions are just wonderful!

6. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000

C'mon Gwenna, you know you want him....he can see it in your eyes!!! *giggle*

Can we say "denial" boys and girls? :)

- Rani

7. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Derisa, your stories are simply decadantly good. Almost as good as chocolate.

8. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    I'm loving this story only one thing makes me leary to call it my favorite crossover, and that's my uncertenty over what is going to happen. I will be so dismayed if Obi does what sir lance did in the other tales. I always hated the fact that the white knight was supose to be so pure and then goes lusting after and comiting adulturay with his king's wife. In fact because of that, I actually despise sir lance and think him the most horible of king arthurs knights.

But I am really liking this story much to my consternation. Please continue (and yes I know I can't spell, I am amazed at how you write the way you do with no spell check...)

9. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    The offline thing comes into place again ;)

I don't exactly know how time-consuming and all it must be for the admins, but I'm sure they put in a lot of effort, considering that someone said that IWMIL was making about 8 sockpuppets a day occasionally...

Well it's good that you won't be IP banned anymore :)

10. Kaylla Norn

Mar 2, 2000
    Uh, Valiowk  you are refuring to the discusion of why Derisa kept getting kicked off right... not that she has been kicked off again.... Ugh, I don't think I could bear it. I reeaaaallly like this story and would like to see what happens even if I am kind of peeking through my fingers to find out what happens.... please post soon Derisa.... and bad mr making sockpuppets whatever those are... 

11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Glad you guys are liking this story so far. I'm having fun.

Juwannajedi, since chocolate is definitely one of my weaknesses, I am hugely flattered by your comment! Thanks!

Vallowk, re Lancelot and Gwenna: I know what you mean. I have long had difficulties with the consummation idea, although not with the love and desire between these two characters. I have a theory, which is in fact one of the main reasons I wanted to write this thread, but I'm not going to tell you what it is, you will have to keep reading... (evil author laugh).

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

*Derisa*

?Your Grace,? Nimue said gently in Gwenna?s ear, and she noted the indrawn breath with a disquieting sense that something was moving in the deep, hidden currents of the Queen?s being. Her indigo eyes narrowed marginally as she reached to feel out that sense, but it fled before her, and, not for the first time, she wished she had Merlin?s stronger Sight. ?You wished to consult me on some matter?? she reminded the taller woman.

A frown marred the Queen?s brow as she looked at her sister-in-law, then turned back to her husband, and Arthur looked down at her with a smile in his dark eyes. He bent his head to claim a kiss from his Queen, and then she turned to join her sister-in-law.

The two women moved off down the gallery, keeping one eye to the practice yard below, as they spoke in low tones.

- - -

Obi-Wan averted his eyes from the kiss between the royal couple, oddly disconcerted, but before he could isolate the source of that disquiet, he was brought back to himself by the gruff sound of Sir Owain?s voice.

?Pull on your coif, Sir Knight,? the older Knight advised, and Obi-Wan reached over his shoulder, the unaccustomed armour clanking with a shining scrape of steel on steel. He pulled the close-fitting, quilted hood up and over his russet hair.

?Now the helm,? Owain narrated, handing the heavy helmet up to the Jedi?s waiting hand. Obi-Wan slid the helm into place, reaching under to ftighten the chinstrap, fastening it securely, and then he lowered and latched the visor. The helmet deadened most sound, and Obi-Wan found himself in a muffled, strangely peaceful world, his contact with the Force suddenly stronger, reinforced by the removal of so many small distractions.

Anakin, at Owain?s unheard direction, brought forward an armful of long shafts, a selection of lances. Without allowing himself to think, Obi-Wan reached out and a lance slid into his hand. The Jedi felt a shock of recognition run through him, at the touch of the smoothly polished wood of the lance?s haft.

Deeply immersed in the Force, he felt the myriad resonances of past and future, and he was surprised at their number and variety. In that space between breaths, his eyes burned an ageless, deep green fire, and he glanced down at his Apprentice, suddenly caught by the eerie blue of Anakin?s eyes. His flash of understanding of time and reality fled, retreating from the sudden clear knowledge of the many dark futures that awaited Anakin Skywalker.

The shadowy possible futures dissipating like mist, he blinked, and drew another breath, raising his eyes to the first of the rings. His hands were light and sure on lance hilt and reins as he approached the top of the run.

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    "His flash of understanding of time and reality fled, retreating from the sudden clear knowledge of the many dark futures that awaited Anakin Skywalker."

That give me shivers it was so creepy. Would it be allowable to ask for more?

Kit

13. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Forget Anakin! Why do I have the feeling that Gwenna is lusting after Sir Oberon, and plotting with Nimue as to how to get him? I liked the part where Obi-Wan puts on the helmet, blocking out much of the noise around him, and how his Force sense suddenly becomes much stronger. Maybe it will help him ward off unwelcome advances--from ANY direction.

14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Kit: creepy, huh? I am this word so often now...;) I meant it to be foreshadowing, but we already know why, so I wasn't going to elaborate, except that Obi-Wan is likely less surprised when Anakin finally falls to the Dark, (which isn't a part of this story, really).

Jane: interesting thought. I hope you continue tossing these ideas and speculations out there: nothing like a bit of misdirection for my readers, not that that was... um... maybe...? ;D

I was very (inordinately) proud of the helmet helping his Force focus thing. I found that it was the case for me when fighting in full armour: I could completely focus on the smaller movements of my opponent. Of course, he had the same advantages...

Next post very soon! I will be going away for the weekend, but i have the bnext several posts planned out. Thanks again, everyone for all your support and the feedback. Please do not hesitate to critique, as well: I really need that sort of critical commentary. Thanks!

*Derisa*

15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    No, no, what I meant to say is that the actual line itself is creepy...it gave me the shivers. Just well written....very well written.

Kithera

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Oh. *chagrinned look* Um... thank you. :)

This one's short, but (I hope) sweet.

*Derisa*

A surge of hooves, leaping forward, drumming the earth: charge unstoppable.

Whistle of lance cutting the air, deadly, sleek point unwavering.

Horse and rider rocking as one, muscles taut, ready, lance an extension of arm, of thought.

Green eyes sure, confident, serene. He had been born to do this.

From the moment the big horse surged forward at Obi-Wan's thought, a hush fell over the practice yard. So quiet were the assembled warriors and witnesses that they could hear the tiny clink of ring hitting ring, for the Jedi Knight's aim was so accurate that the deadly edge of the lance tip did not contact the rings as they were pierced.

Each small metallic noise rang in Obi-Wan like a bell, heard clearly through the padding of his coif and the isolation of the helmet over it. The thunder of hooves, felt rather than heard, was as familiar as his own heart's beat.

At the end of the run, six rings slid gleaming from the shaft of his lance. Obi-Wan merely thought into the fierce mind of his steed that he would like to turn, and the mighty horse set himself up onto his haunches in a low levade, and then performed a tight pirouette, his hooves emphatic, raising a cloud of dust. The reins were still held feather light in the Jedi's hand, his body communicating his wishes as fast as his mind could think them, and the vibrant movement of the horse captured every eye.

He widened the pirouette into a spiral outward, his inside calf resting next to the girth and the other further back, guiding and supporting the big horse's power into a movement of grace and fluidity.

The rings were replaced, and and the Knight refocused the mighty warhorse onto his task, the lance lowered over his arched crest. Lyr sprang forward into a powerful gallop, the lance arrowing unerringly for the golden gleam of the rings.

At the finish of the return run, Lyr danced to a halt and then stilled, all four hooves planted squarely, his body poised for whatever command Obi-Wan wished to ask of him next. The Jedi thought a sweet reward to his mount and then eased his lancetip lower.

Into the stunned silence of the practice yard, six small golden rings slid off his lance onto the sacred dust of the Isle of Glass.

17. Kaylla Norn

Mar 2, 2000
    boy all that training with Qui-gon has really paid off....something tells me that people won't be teasing Ani about his master anymore...

The imagry was beautiful. Thanks for the posts.

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    go Derisa...

(starts bowing)

Oky, I won't won't make fun of Canadian's anymore. I promise!

(j/k. You're the only Canadian I know...)

19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    YES! Stands up and starts doing what she has been doing all day (and that is screaming/cheering for her school)

V.I.C.T.O.R.Y
    Is our Obi victory cry!

Whaddya think of Derisa?
    She's alright!

(now image 3oo girls screaming and you might get the idea) Brillian post to come back to after a sithly long day...thankyou.

Kithera

20. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    I've got only one word to say: Wow. :)

I'll refrain from saying what page I found this on, only to say it shouldn't have been that far down there at all. :)

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I've been to busy to even get online... I don't even wanna talk about my schedule.

22. Kaylla Norn

Mar 2, 2000
    What!?.... Page 10?!.... oh, my... no wonder there aren't any new posts... no one can find it... up up I say, do not sink into the mires of oblivion....

<hope> <hope>

;~]

23. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Gee what page was this on? I can't remember, too far back I know that. Derisa, I hope you post soon, and in the mean time I hope I don't float away.
    *Grin* Hey, everybody, we just broke a three month drought. Its been raining for the last week and a half, on and off, but on for the most part. Over seven inches of rain! YIKES. Give me an ark, and call me Noah!
    ;) When the Lord answers a prayer he goes all out. *Grin*

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Erm... sorry for mentioning that one too many times, Kaylla Norn...

I just found this thread after ages and now I feel really bad because I promised that I would come back and read it...

PLease please please post soon, Derisa!!!

25. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Yes, please... this story is far too good to sink down so far. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.