main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traitorous Knight (an Arthurian/SW crossover) Author's Note: Aug 4, 2004 ... post to follow...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    She's back, She's back, she's back!!!!

*Dances around in joy"

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well-faithed friends, many thanks for your patience, and here, at long last, is the next installment. I hope you like it, and I will hopefully get the rest of my posts on track. Things have been going great guns for me, and I have recovered the time tcontribute to the fun writing again! YAY!!!

I missed this!

*Derisa*

?Oh this should be fun,? the dark-haired boy commented to his slightly older companion, ?Your Knight is about to face Sir Sagramore. He was third in the Grand Tourney, you know. Almost became the Champion of the Realm.? The boy?s merry grin bore an edge, and Anakin frowned as he noted it.

?So?? he asked pointedly.

?Well, he?s hardly an inspiring sight.? The boy?s dark blue eyes squinted into the mid-morning dust, to eye Obi Wan where he sat his broad, muscled stallion. Llyr stood, patient and quiet, a firm contrast to the fiery prancing of Sagramore?s rangy mare, draped in his colours of black and gold. The blood bay charger under the Jedi wore simple white trappings: merely enough leather to support the weight of saddle and rider against the masssive impact of the tilt.

Obi-Wan?s shield was plain, too, a prepared face of whitewash but no symbol to embolden friend and frighten foe, no mark to identify him in the thick of melee. As Anakin noted the difference, he considered the words of the page draped over the fence of the practice yard beside him, and at length shook his head. ?One should never underestimate an opponent. It?s better to be sure of your skills than pretty,? he commented quietly.

?Whew, I am glad Sir Sagramore didn?t hear you call him pretty!? Medraut laughed mockingly. ?And how sure of his skills can your Knight be?? he asked. ?It?s not like he?s ever held a lance before today, or sat a horse before yesterday. He may be a dab hand at the rings and the ?heads?, but the tilt is a whole other thing.?

Anakin recalled his Master?s difficulties in his riding lesson the day before, and then peeked again at the suddenly huge-seeming Sagramore on his dark destrier. His gaze dropped, and he studied the dust despondently.

//Oh great, yet another humiliation at the hands of my Master. Doesn?t he realise how he makes me look?//

- - -

//Easy, Llyr, my friend. Soon, soon you may run, but for now, wait...// Obi-Wan?s mind was both tightly focussed and evenly spread into a sphere of awareness of events just past, now present, and near future.

He felt, rather than saw the Knight opposite him tense as Owain raised the pennon that would signal the charge. He sensed the sudden indrawn breath of those watching in the gallery, as Sagramore loosed his reins and spurred his mare hard. He felt her sudden panic as the sharp rowels raked her sides, and she half-reared, before exploding into a disjointed run that became a vibrating thunder drum of hooves...

At Obi-Wan?s half-formed thought, Llyr was in motion, his every powerful muscle straining to carry Obi-Wan closer to the lethal gleam of Sagramore?s lance tip, closer and faster. His own heavy hooves pounded into the dirt, tearing up huge clods as he rumbled forward, and then the longer lance of the other Knight was tearing at Obi-Wan?s shield.

But the Jedi was at peace, one with the overwhelming power of the Force, and he *knew* how to tilt the his shield, angling the blow up and away, even as his own lance contacted Sagramore?s shield, centred dead in the middle of the golden torc that was the man?s device.

Obi-Wan was aware of the wild career of the mare to the side, as the force of his strike, powered by the mass and inertia of Llyr?s gallop and his own strength of arm, slammed Sagramore back in the saddle and then, seemingly in slow motion, tipped him up and over the cantle to roll from his mount?s rump. Sagramore crumpled, with myriad clangs, to the ground.

- - -

?Ah!? cried the King from his vantage along the gallery, ?Well struck, Sir... Sir Averan...?? he called, hesitating at the last as he again had trouble recalling Obi-Wan?s name. The tall man looked

3. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Oooo loved the post Derisa. Anakin's thought about Obi-Wan embarrassing him was hilarius. Oh ye of little faith, Anakin! *L*

And the detail...fabulous.

4. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Derisa, I have to admit when I saw this thread up..... Oh, someone is pushing it up, but she hasn't posted. Bummer.

THANK YOU FOR PROVING ME WRONG!!!

It is a delight to have you back.

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Hello, Derisa, nice to see you back. Good post. *fixes Anakin with narrowed eyes* "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Good use of the name Lancelot, too!

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I watched this go up too and thought someone would just be upping it but today my curiousity got the better of me so I thought that I would just go ahead and check it out. Now I am glad that I did!

Great post Derisa....now Anakin don't let everything your Master does embarrass you!

Kithera

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Patience is the most Jedi of virtues, gentle readers... don't think I don't appreciate the display of it I have benefitted from on this thread and the others I contribute to. Many thanks aren't enough, but they are all I have to offer.

Oh, yeah, and another installment! :)

*Derisa*

The three Knights opposing Obi-Wan had had enough. It was the youngest and brawniest of them, Ban of Benoic, who laughingly resigned the field first, his broad, tanned face awash in a grin and his hair matted with sweat as he pulled off his coif.

?Most excellently fought, Sir Knight!? he declared, swinging back up onto his lathered war-horse. ?Truly, you are a doughty man with lance and sword. I?d be glad to ride at your side into battle!?

Obi-Wan favoured him with a grateful smile: Ban had kept in excellent humour throughout the morning?s bouts, showing up the other two, Sagramore and Arvon, as somewhat sour losers. ?That actually brings to mind a query perhaps you will answer for me, Ban,? he said in a quiet voice. While he too was sweated, he was not nearly as bad off as his opponents.

The two men cooled down their horses, riding slowly about the yard, and Ban gave Obi-Wan a quizzical look. ?What might that be??

?Things where I come from are... well, to be honest, I have no idea who here is at war with whom, and I should like to be asured I am on the side of Right...? his voice trailed off, allowing Ban to nod in understanding.

?Yes, of course. So recently arrived from UnderHill, you would have had little awareness of our situation.? His youthful face grew grimmer and he peered at the Jedi from under bushy black brows. ?But if you can trust the word of the Prince of Breton Bheag, if you recognise your allies as human, then you are on the side of the Light. For the Dark Tide that races the waves to Avalon?s shores is a vile and twisted race, easily seen for the evil they are.?

He gave a nod to the King as they passed, and Obi-Wan raised an open hand in familiar greeting. Arthur had watched all of Obi-Wan?s bouts with an avid and knowledgeable eye, and had encouraged him loudly throughout the morning?s excercise. Arthur smiled back at the two, but a stormy expression darkened the Queen?s sky-blue gaze, as she looked down the length of her nose and directly into the tranquil smokey green of the Jedi?s eyes.

?An you serve the King?s Grace, you are on the side of Right, good Sir Lance-a-lot,? Ban added, reaching across to buffet Obi-Wan?s shoulder, a blow which the Jedi unconsciously avoided, utterly without effort. A smaller-minded man might have taken offence at this, but Ban just gave another guffaw of loud laughter, and crowded his steed?s shoulder into Lyr?s. The tempermental stallion gave a snort and gathered himself for a snakelike strike of his massive neck, but Obi-Wan gentled him with a touch and a stroke against the horse?s mind, assuring him that none doubted his supremacy.

Obi-Wan shot another look back towards the gallery as they rode over to the mounting blocks and he waited for the others to dismount. His eyes met the King?s, and he felt a sudden surge from the Force, affirming what Ban had said: this time, the service of the King was the service of the Light.

- - -

?But, Gwenna,? Arthur argued, suddenly sounding much younger than his twenty-fpour years, ?Cador expects the both of us...?

The Queen smiled at her husband as he sat on their bed in the guest-rooms of his sister?s palace. ?You needs must journey on to him, and I needs must stay here and continue to take counsel from the Lady of the Lake,? she soothed him, ?My cousin can little mind my absence: he is fond of me, but he has far more to deal with than wanting to visit with me.?

She stepped lightly across the polished stones of the floor, and took her husband?s hands into her own. ?And besides, you will want to get to know your new Knight better, and I should prefer not to travel with so uncouth a man.? Her sunny smile stayed locked in place, but Arthur knew his wife well,

8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Brilliant~

Hmmm, I feel sad reading this story and yet knowing the end to Arthur and his fellows. Anyhow that is a long way off and we have many more posts to read before then (I hope!)

Kithera

9. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    Another very nice post........

I assume this will stay true to the Arthurian legends. At this point, I can't see Gwenna and Lancelot.

I also can't see Obi-wan letting himself fall into such a mess!!!!

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Sources for my version of the Arthurian mythos are actually many and varied, from Irish and Welsh myths to the original Chretien de Troyes _Perlesvaux_, with borrowings from various later authors, including Mallory, Mary Stewart, Guy Gavriel Kay, Steven Lawhead, and Jack Whyte, to name a few. I highly recommend all of these authors, if you are a fan of things Arthurian.

Guenivere is a curious figure historically: she has been portrayed as a righteous queen in her own right, an adulterous wife, a cruel lover, and an innocent victim. She is an earlier part of the legends than the character of Lancelot, who makes his first appearance in the romances at the height of the Courtly Love era, taking the position of Arthur's best friend from the Knight Bedwyr (Bedivere in later versions).

I have an unusual take on the adultery, revolving around the Lady Elen, which combines aspects of a few of the tales, but which I hope remains true to the essential nature of each of the characters. Since this world of Avalon is, in this story, an archetypical plane of existence, all the characters' strengths and weakneses are at their extremes. My version is of course coloured by my affection for certain of the characters, and my sense that there remain a number of stories untold in the legends.

Hope you guys enjoy what I see in this story, and can endure the wait until I have written the end. I pray you can trust me not to mess with the characters too much, and yet try to stay true to the spirit of the legends.

*Derisa*

11. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    I am extremely intrigued by it all, Derisa. I can't tell you how glad I am that you are back on the boards.

12. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I'm looking forward to more.

13. JKTRAINING

JKTRAINING Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    Hi, I love this Derisa! A cross between my two favorite stories! I hope you will swerve from the arthurien legend on the point of Lance and Gwenevier! That part always makes me so sad. That such a outstanding knight could fall so far. Surly Obi will not!

14. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    So nice to see more story! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. FltO_Cory_Dekker

FltO_Cory_Dekker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    I heard a rumour she's getting ready to post again, so just upping this so it's easier for her to find...

CD 8)

16. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    A rumor eh, Cory? Hmm interesting. :)

17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Yes, well, rumours should never really be trusted, but in this case I was yakking with Cory on the computer and made a mention of a post that needed putting up... and here it is! But... never trust promises of posts, especially from me, as some have pointed out most... pointedly in the past. In case I haven't said it yet, I'm sorry, and I *am* working on it... all these bad habits...

*Derisa*

The King swung his long leg up over the cantle of his huge steed, and settled himself into place on the quilted leather of his saddle. With a twitch of the reins he brought himself alongside Obi-Wan?s mount and gifted the Jedi with a genuine smile.

?I am delighted that you have chosen to accompany me, Sir...? he broke off and his smile faded. ?I am unaccustomed to such bouts of forgetfulness. My Lady jested earlier that I should call you Lancelot, and I find such a name much easier to call to mind. My friend, would you object to my calling you so??

Obi-Wan felt a subtle shimmering within the Force at the sound of the name, and he looked up to meet the indigo eyes of the King, and caught a faint silvering of his iris. //What powers lie dormant here?// he found himself wondering, //What ripples will fall out from this mysterious world?s events?//

?I do not mind in the least,? the Jedi replied, ?I take it as a compliment, Arthur, to be so gifted with a fitting name.?

The King?s smile returned, and he gave a satisfied nod. ?We ride to Kernow, to consult with my loyal vassal, Duke Cador. I should very much enjoy speaking with you as we ride, and lacking the slower-gaited palfrey of my Queen, we should make excellent time indeed.

?Brother?? Nimue had suddenly appeared at the King?s stirrup and was glancing up at him, her own cheeks rounding with a soft smile. ?I feel strongly that Sir Lancelot?s instructor in courtly ways should accompany you.? Obi-Wan glanced to the side, to see where the pretty Lady Elen was mounting a fine-boned gelding, her hair tied into a queue and her flowing gowns changed for a more suitable tunic and trews, well-crafted of warm wool and embroidered along hem and cuffs with a simple pattern of interlace. She wore a felted riding coat over, cut very full at the back to allow freedom of movement while mounted, and topped by a short cloak pinned at the shoulder, and a lined hood. The greens and tans of her clothing set off the copper highlights of her hair, and her jade-green eyes seemed huge in her face as she met Obi-Wan?s gaze.

?Certes, that is a fine suggestion, Nimue,? Arthur replied. ?Who is it??

?Lady Elen, my King.? Nimue gestured to her left. ?She shan?t slow you any, brother,? Nimue added in a tone of rebuke at the flash of sudden disappointment that flowed over the King?s face. He sighed, but slid his eyes over the mounted Lady in a clear and fair appraisal. She sat her dark horse with ease and obvious competence.

?I am sure she shall not,? he conceded reluctantly, ?She sits her mount very well. But, Niav-?

?Oh, stop it, Artos,? the Lady of the Lake rebuked gently, using his diminutive nickname, even as he used hers. ?Elen is of the Brigantes, she can ride better than most of your men, and I send along Ban and Geraint to accompany her. You can ride as rough as you want, she?ll not mark any courtesy lacking.?

?Well,? Arthur sighed, ?I cannot argue with you, fair sister. Let Lance?s education continue, then, astride if it must be.? His easy grin returned as he made his farewells to his Lady, who stood watching from the stairs up to the barbican, from whence she would watch their departure for as long as they remained in sight.

The King?s train set out in a rumble of many hooves against the flags and boards of the causeway over the sacred lake, a pair of Knight Companions in the lead, followed by Arthur. Cantering alongside the King was the graceful, green-clad figure of the Jedi, astride his broad-backed bloodbay charger. Following close on his heels, her pale hands encased in green leather gloves, rode the Lady Ele

18. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Great post Derisa!
    Again, I loved the descriptions. Ooo Obi left Ani behind and Ani's commpanion is planning something devious. Can't wait to see this.

Hey Derisa, if you see Rani could you tell her to check her email?

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    yeah! UP!!!!

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I thought I already apologised once for reminding you so...pointedly of your failure to write as promised, but I see I have to do it again. I went too far and I'M SORRY. In case you hadn't noticed, I have not mentioned it again, nor have I nagged you to write on USJS or anywhere else. Now would you please stop making barbed comments in my direction. My pleasure at your latest post was completely ruined before I even read it.

I would write this on an e-mail, but nothing seems to get through to you, so I apologise again for doing it in public.

21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Jane,

There's a PM for you on this, but I felt the need to throw out a small public reply as well. I am sorry too. My comment was more intended to show that you were RIGHT in pointing out my failures to keep my promises than as a jab at you.

Words aren't enough to make amends for the times I have disappointed you and many others, but I offer them as well as the actions of staying on top of the posts of this story, and working on others, to try and repair some of the damage my actions and lack of actions have caused.

To you, personally, I offer my most sincere apologies and my vast appreciation that you have still stuck by this story, and hold out hope on the other. I can only work towards outgrowing the flaws that led me to this pass. (I *am* working on it... I've come a long way already, but this is a never-ending journey, isn't it? Sometimes that thought is encouraging, but somethimes it's pretty durn daunting.)

Please, Jane, I treasure your faith in me, and I greatly value your encouragement and friendship. I am so sorry anything I have said, ever, hurt you.

*Derisa*

22. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thank you for your apology. Yes, life is a never-ending journey and we are constantly confronted with our weaknesses until we learn to overcome them, or so I've heard. Heaven only knows, I've been confronted with plenty of mine, and no doubt more are on the way. (Now -that's- a daunting thought!) So, what say we forget this problem and get down to some serious fiction and good replies? :)

Edited to say: I guess I got impatient because I treasure you as a writer and I enjoy your stories so much that I am constantly looking ahead to the next post. It's hard for me to bear disappointments when I am eagerly awaiting something as excellent as your writing.

23. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    [ZsaZsa Gabor] Oh stop, you'll *ruin* me! [/ZsaZsa Gabor]

Lady, you are so sweet! Okay, enough already... *hugs*.

It's the Jane and Derisa Mutual Appreciation Society, JADMAS for short... memberships going cheap today! One for the price of two! (sorry...:)

Yikes! Mush factor nine, all ahead mush! to quote a certain pilot friend of mine...

More story soon, I think... gotta scrape all this sweet stuff off my teeth before they rot... :D

*Derisa*

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    lol.. My uncle met Zsa Zsa Gabor.... In not a good way. Let's just say he's LAPD Hollywood division, and.. *cough* he tried to give her a speeding ticket *cough* and she slapped him. :D

I was funny...

oh well, POST!

25. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Whew, I'm glad you both got that worked out. ;)
    I hope, Derisa, that you can post again soon, on this thread and on the 'others. *G*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.