1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest.

New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Artist Trak's Stuff - Updated 7/22

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TrakNar, Apr 22, 2011.

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Tarsier Force Ghost

star 3
    I love the scarab! I've always thought scarabs are really interesting insects.
  2. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I am loving your latest sketches, I've been meaning to comment sooner. :)

You've really captured the soul of Billy Dee with Lando's expression. It is also great seeing the story progression through your sketches and painting for your Dear Diary challenge.
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Fabulous! Your shading technique is incredible :)
  4. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks. I refuse to post my old Lando sketches as they just weren't smooth and sexy enough. :p

Anywho, just one new sketch this time. Another first:

[image=http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6753/plokoonsketch.jpg]

And a first in a new sketchbook with new paper with a rougher texture. I'm getting used to the new texture, but I prefer a smoother finish, as it holds graphite much better and doesn't smear as easily.
    XJapanRoX likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Great sketch and details and pose
  6. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    That is 'Plo Kool'! I love the detailing you've put into Master Plo's face and form.
  7. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    I love the clarity and distinction of your lines.

[:D]
  8. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    really great drawings, i just looked through the thread and i am really impressed. i am not good at drawing but i love to do it. some people are naturally gifted, for example i remember going to the minnesota state fair and seeing the art exibit from students. one of the fourth graders drew a lion and it was absolutely astounding. heck most of the 2nd graders stuff was better then mine.
  9. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks. I'm mostly self-taught with perhaps a few school classes here and there (the usual art classes in school), but no actual formal training. Though, I would really like to some day take a proper figure drawing class, as I need to see how muscle groups move. Just having anatomy books and other nude references aren't enough, I need to see a body in motion.

During the forum downtime, I'll see how much I can pack into my sketchbook for a sizable update when everything is all said and done. I'd like to paint some more, but I haven't yet gotten my drafting table to my new place yet, and my computer desk is the kitchen table until I move my actual desk here, too. My art books are also still packed away. This week, I'm gonna attempt to get them, my comics, and some more boxes of stuff, along with my drafting table that needs a chair.

Here's hoping my thread transfers smoothly.
  10. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    May as well resurrect this, while I try to figure out how to edit the title. While I go figure that out, have some sketches.

[IMG]

Kyp Durron.

[IMG]

Leia with Amazonian proportions.

[IMG]

Repost from the temp boards.
  11. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Lovely sketches and with the contrast of the tones and I see you have done Kyp too! I know someone who would love to see that.

To edit the title, edit the first post and go to 'more options...' from there you can rename the thread title... that should work.
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  12. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I figured it out not long after I had posted the images.

As for Kyp... he's just practice. I was looking for some character models for him and settled on using the two stars of Supernatural, with some modifications. Ditched the chin cleft and combined their features and viola! Kyp!
  13. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I'm glad we got that feature working.

For Kyp, for a moment I thought it looked similar to Taylor Kitsch from... well... he did Gambit and John Carter. I do that with some characters too, creating hybrids of facial structures to achieve the look. It's looking great. :)
    Last edited by Corellian_Outrider, Sep 9, 2012
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Great drawings! Your sketches are always so clean and crisp.

And I love what you did with Kyp. That's the exact same method I use when creating new characters. I like to 'splice' likenesses together in Photoshop and come up with someone totally different. It's actually a lot of fun too! :D
    Last edited by HanSolo29, Sep 9, 2012
  15. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, Photoshop comes into play after I scan my sketches. I remove all my blue sketching, tweak the linework, and clean everything up. Straight from my sketchbook, they're not as clean. :p
  16. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
  17. XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist

VIP
    star 2
    Awesome work! Love the Plo and Slave Leia ones from this page especially. Very cool.
  18. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    [IMG] You mean this??????? :D

Lovely work there Trak!! Keep it coming! :D :D [face_batting]
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Well... yeah :p
  20. AzureAngel2 Force Ghost

star 6
    You do a wonderful Kyp Durron. Please let Ceillean know! Might give her new inspiration for more wonderful fanfics.

:D
  21. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Note to self: Gather and print a few images of Taylor Kitsch, as he is going to be my Kyp model from now on.

In the meantime... here's a few lighting tests.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I have one more lighting test to do before I start on a painting. Judging by what I have so far, I think you can guess what direction that painting will be heading... ;)
  22. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Interesting tests. Zuckuss?
  23. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I'd say these are some pretty successful tests! I love pieces with dramatic lighting like this. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Tim Proctor's work, but these remind me a lot of some of his stuff.

As for the upcoming painting...is it bounty hunters? :D
  24. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Just finished his lighting test.

[IMG]

You would be right. XD And the mockup will tell the rest of what I have planned if the lighting tests didn't.

[IMG]
    earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  25. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Like to see the development
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider