main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Multi-Fandom] Trak's Tangents: DWB Response- Updated 01/23

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by TrakNar, Jan 22, 2015.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh look, I made a thread. Yeah, this is where I'll dump random non-SW stuff. Might throw SW stuff in here, too, whenever, just to keep things consistent.

So, yeah. Intro post. Here's something I scribbled up earlier for the Writer's Block thread.

------------------------------------------------------------

Title: DWB Response- Letter prompt
    Series: Pokemon
    Characters: OCs (Prof. Hypno)
    Timeline: Team Rocket timeline

Sonny is (c) Yendy Sphynx
    Dear Sonny,

Wherever you are, I hope this gets to you. It's not the same without you. The kennel is cold and lonely at nights. No one has taken your cage, either. Every night, I come back, hoping to see you there.

Where did they send you?

They keep telling me that it's my fault that you had to leave.

Not much to talk about these days. I've been working on a project lately. The Boss is having me design robots. He wants them to be able to take on a Psychic. A powerful one at that. The development of these robots has not been easy. Along with my designs, I've also been testing prototypes. Here's the thing: You and I could take these things apart without breaking a sweat! Every attack I've thrown at it has damaged it! I have some ideas, though. So long as the interior components aren't damaged, the robot can still function. It needs fewer outside moving parts.

This must all sound like gibberish.

Some of the Grunts have been getting really annoyed with me. They don't understand the work I do. The techs have backed me up a few times, but because i can't get something to work right the first time, then I'm punished.

I've hit them back a few times. That just makes things worse. The other Pokémon here also laugh at me; at my voice. I've hit them, too. Their Master would punish me for that and they'd tell my Master. Then I'd be punished again.

Tell me where you went. I'll try to get there. I miss you.

I can't take it anymore.

I miss you. I love you, Sonny.

-Prof. Hypno

Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thrilled to see writing by you, Trak—so wonderful that the block is being broken. This is a nice intro to your characters; one really gets a sense of both the technical genius and the profound loneliness that are both such important parts of the Prof's character. Looking forward to more. :)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent Trak! You picked a great block-breaker prompt. [face_thinking] A letter is a great way to get inside a character's head without bogging down in details, but yeah, I too can sense the genius and the frustration and sense of isolation. =D=

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is my first experience of prof. Hypno and I like it so far. :)

While I don't know much about Pokémon, the emotions expressed in here are universal. I get a dysthopian vibe from the whole thing as well, which is always good.

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. It's been a while since I've written anything beyond RP posts, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Ended up just going stream-of-consciousness for this one.

The Pokemon world is a pretty Crapsacchrine World, in that on the surface it looks all awesome and pretty, but underneath... it's got a pretty dark side. Past wars ripped regions apart, criminal organizations crop up all the time for various reasons (some are fly-by-night, while others have been around for quite some time. Some have weird and overly-complicated motivations, while others are driven by money), powerful Pokemon lay waste to the surrounding countryside on a regular basis...

We like to think it's all happy fun time, but it's gotten pretty dark, and in different continuities, Pokemon is some serious business.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is pretty much what a friend* who's into it said and that's something I can relate to, as cartoons and other "cute" media without the dark factor, danger and melancholic characters are not appealing to me.

* She is writing her own Pokémon fics and she said she will help me grasp the basics, as I'm interested, but just like many kids who were never allowed a console, I'm slightly clueless.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I know very little about Pokemon, other than the basic idea of it, but I think the way you wrote this, you don't really have to know. I could feel the longing Hypno has for Sonny.
    Wonderful job! =D=
    I'm glad one of the block breakers inspired you! :)

Ewok Poet and TrakNar like this.
  8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Every night, I come back, hoping to see you there.

Where did they send you?

That just broke my heart! :( Beautifully written!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I am thrilled to see the DWB breaking, Trak! [face_dancing][:D]

A letter was a great way to introduce this character - I have to echo the others in saying that you conveyed a great sense of genius and loneliness I look forward to seeing where else your muse takes you! :) =D=

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nice meeting you, Prof. Hypno. I'm Chyn. You sound a bit lonely, would you like a hug?

This was lovely and sad at the same time, Trak. I'm looking forward to reading more!

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Got a sequel of sorts written. I've written sniffly sad stuff before, but I think this one's the first that actually made me a bit misty-eyed while writing it.

Title: DWB Response 2
    Fandom: Pokémon
    Characters: OCs (Prof. Hypno)
    Timeline:Team Rocket timeline
    Sonny is (c)Yendy Sphynx

——————————————————————

He had a spare moment, so he wrote a letter. It wasn’t the first letter that he had written, and he had assumed that it would not be the last. He couldn’t send it like the Grunts could, as the addressee hadn’t a conventional address. He kept the letters until he had a moment outside. His master would take him outside on weekends, and he’d be allowed to roam the property unsupervised for an hour.

Every weekend, he did the same thing; he tucked the week’s collection of letters into his coat pocket and he would go outside. Hobbling out into the woods, he would make his way to a small clearing. A hollow stump stood in the middle, and he would put the letters inside of it.

Every weekend, he would do that. The letters from the previous week would be gone, but he never knew who took them. He hoped that Sonny had taken them.

Prof. Hypno gave off a sigh and wiped at his eyes with the back of his wrist. His pen clutched in his right hand, he scrawled his words across the page. He knew that Sonny could read, so that was not a concern for him. His letters usually contained little more than the day’s activities; though his latest have focused primarily on his punishments. They were occurring with more frequency.

While he could readily pin the blame on the other Pokémon, or even the other Grunts, he knew that he was at fault. His work wasn’t being completeed on time, and he would get frustrated and lash out at others. If they struck him, he would hit back.

Many a day had ended in a beating. The night would be spent alone in his cage; bruised and battered.

I can’t take it anymore.

Each letter ended with that sentence.

I can’t take it anymore.

Prof. Hypno had hoped to find out where Sonny was sent. He had hoped that if he continued to be violent and disobedient toward the Grunts, that he would be sent away as well.

That option was never brought up. Instead, he was punished. When he would retaliate, the beating would be worse.

I can’t take it anymore.

If they won’t send him away, then he had no other choice.

Crumpling the letter, Prof. Hypno began anew.

I’m sorry, Sonny. I’m sorry I have to do this. I don’t know what else to do. I can’t take it anymore.

The silence grew long as he wrote. Every sentence kicked him in the chest, and he tried unsuccessfully to fight back the tears.

He had been reassigned to the Chem lab, and had access to a number of volatile substances. He already had a plan in mind. He already knew what he wanted to do and how he was going to do it. It was only now that he figured out when.

I can’t take it anymore.

Tomorrow, he would deposit the final letter.

I’m sorry.

Tomorrow, he would make his last trek out to that weather-beaten stump.

I don’t know what else to do.

Tomorrow, he would roam the surrounding woods for the last time.

I love you, Sonny.

Good-bye.

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is absolutely heart-wrenching! Poor, poor Hypno :( :_|

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Oh boy...

Well, whatever happens, I'm sure the Professor will find a way.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I am scared now. Really scared. While it would be cool if he poisoned his oppressor and run free to find Sonny (if that's possible in their world); this smells like an obvious suicide attempt. :(

The theatrical quality of short sentences, which can be spoken in pitch dark, fog or any similar surroundings gives me goosebumps.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Nooooooo! Poor Prof Hypno :(

This was heart-breaking, Trak. Sonny better come over and fix it soon, because I'm going to cry.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow... the loneliness, the hopelessness, the quasi-enslaved existence, the heartbreaking uncertainty of whether Sonny's even getting his letters... intense stuff indeed. And then throw those volatile substances from the lab into the mix... :eek:

Do continue this so we can see what the Prof has up his sleeve, whether for good or ill... because whichever it is, I know it will be a riveting read in true Trak fashion. :cool:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ack, heartbreaking indeed! :( Another great look into the Professor's mind, sad as it is. =D=

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    *pokes Trak* I just re-read this -- it's even more heartbreaking on the second read -- and I was wondering if you're planning to write more? I'd love to read it.

Findswoman likes this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I do, but my muse has been fickle and I've been wrapped up in a paid commission as of late.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.