main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transfering and the Quality

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NitroBlade, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Since my school doesn't provide me with anything to capture my clips (all the cables are hooked up to the school computers so that we edit there) I have this simple question.

If I film something with a GL2, edit my movie, capture it back onto the Mini DV, then I bring it home, use one of my friend's digital cameras to capture it onto my computer, would it lower the quality?

I'm not sure the type of Camera my friend has, but it's not a 3CCD camera, that's for sure.

I don't see why it would, but I'm just not too sure. I asked a few people and they don't think so, but it's not a 100% certainty for them either.

2. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    No it shouldn't lower the quality. It is still the same kind of tape (MiniDV) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Owen ;)

3. NitroBlade

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks!

Answered in 1 reply. :)

4. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I don't know from experience, but I've heard that for some reason tapes shot on a Canon won't transfer quite right when played in another camera. The audio gets out of sync or something. I can ask my teacher who knows about it if you want me to.

5. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Nitro: I suggest you just do your own test to be sure. Borrow a GL2 run around like a mad-man filming stuff, then take the tape out and test it. Most of what you get from these guys will be second-hand knowledge... and even if it is personal experience slight variations in system configurations, models and software versions may be all that it takes.

Fundamentally the data as captured as MiniDV. This means that it should transer digitally like everything else - the same off of every camera... otherwise the MiniDV standard would be some kind of joke - which it may be... I dunno.

-Spiff

6. NitroBlade

Jan 13, 2004
    Spiff:

Do things for myself? Fine, you always make things harder. :)

Yeah, that's actually a good idea. I have some extra footage I took of different nature settings. I'm going to bug my friend to let me borrow his camera.

7. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    you always make things harder

We should probably keep such comments between ourselves.

::looks both ways::

Crud.

:p

-Spiff

8. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Most of what you get from these guys will be second-hand knowledge.

I take offense to that. Just cause it's true doesn't mean you need to be telling everyone. Shhhh... You'll ruin our reputation.

:p

9. jmubaraki

jmubaraki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    interesting, this is the exact same question I asked one of my film school teachers about 8 months ago.
    And he said for capturing purposes there is no difference between captured material quality, when capturing from a 1ccd or 3ccd camera or a mini dv tape deck. If you've recorded stuff on a 3ccd camera and you capture the same footage using a 1ccd camera, it does not make any difference to the capture quality of the original footage. This is coming from a man who teaches and has experience within the industry.
    hope that helped.

10. NitroBlade

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks jmubaraki!

But the thing is, this is from a Canon to a Sony, so I just want to make absolutely sure since someone said that there may be problems with the sound.

At least I know that quality won't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.