main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transferring a site without FTP access????

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Allie Fox, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    I am new to web development (if you call it that). I have a small fan club site on geocities that I would like to move to a permanent host with a real domain.

As I only have the free geocities package, I do not have access to the FTP server.

Is there a way to transfer the entire content of the website from geocities to the new host without having to sign up to the upgraded version?

. . .and without manually transferring the files from one server to another?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AF

2. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    I think you gotta manually transfer the files. It shouldn't really take to long, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ya. thats it. just transfer them from geocities to whereever.

also, dont use the files from geocities unless you dont have another copy as they have code added to them for the popups (i think, correct me if i am wrong, anyone)

this is why i have a copy of all my webpages on my harddrive so i can just use that to upload and i dont have to worry about the hosting site altering them by adding banners, etc, etc...

4. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
  5. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    umm... i use IE for ftp, whats up with using different programs... ?[face_plain]

6. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    All it is is going into my documents, sopying the HTML document, going into teh FTP, and pasteing it there.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.