main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Transformers Devastation: G1 and the 80s Return

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Blue Ice Cream, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hey there. :) I couldn't find a Transformers Devastation thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Hopefully this is a good way for me to break the ice. I've been an active gamer since the ancient times, and always wanted to post in the Games forum. :D It truly seems like a fantastic community.

Anyway, let's discuss the game. I purchased it for the PS4 and have been pleasantly surprised so far. After reading many gripes and unfavorable comments, I was certainly skeptical. Regardless, I had to get it, for nostalgic reasons. I'm a sucker for anything retro. [face_blush]

So feel free to talk about all aspects of the game, and all things Transformers. I really believe this new title captures the style of Generation 1 accurately. It takes me back to the 80s every time I play.

Enjoy the discussion, and by all means, reminisce!

Anakin_Prime likes this.
  2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I remember the original series and the first movie fondly. I've got the film on DVD somewhere and should watch it again. I think this is the first Transformers game I've wanted to buy though. The recent ones just never really interested me, much like the films. They seemed to be mostly explosions and stuff. This one looks cool though with the retro graphics and characters. I'm just waiting for my copy to turn up.

Anakin_Prime likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    None of the reviews I've read have mentioned nanomachines or infinity climaxes so I think this is probably not Platinum working with their full deck. A shame.

4. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I am loving this game! What a throwback to the real Transformers! I am only getting 5hrs of sleep before work and this is the cause. A very welcome cause! I can see it being one of my all-time favorites.

Blasting Decepticons with Primes rifle will never get old!

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Same. It's just a lot of fun. The art style is amazing and so much like the original cartoons, except it's a bit shinier and has more detail. The combat is good and doesn't feel clunky and awkward. I haven't played much so far so I can't comment on the story but from what I've seen I really want to keep playing. I'm not sure if running out of ranged ammunition is a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, you can't keep spamming bullets at everything, but on the other there are things that need to be shot and I've run out before I could shoot them. Definitely a fun game though.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want good Transformers stories, you need to read comics.

Also they're apparently somehow going to weave this game into the current comics too.

7. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    I have nothing but fond memories of the original series too. I'm completely obsessed with the animated movie from that era. I've got the VHS, DVD and it's somewhere on my DVR as well. [face_blush] I'd highly recommend watching.

Devastation is the first Transformers game I purchased. Due to my disappointment in the recent films, I jokingly refer to Generation 1 as the 'REAL' Transformers. I'd have to agree about the explosions... not much more to the four movies. Naturally, Devastation's retro graphics and accurate portrayal of the original characters caught my attention. This game is truly a pleasant surprise.

8. Anakin_Prime

Feb 27, 2005
    Ditto!

9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Can someone tell me how this plays in terms of games that are similar?

Love Transformers but have limited time for gaming these days and I'm not quite sure even from looking at gameplay how the game plays.

10. Anakin_Prime

Feb 27, 2005
    If you like action, and the original Transformers, then you will most likely love it. Can play as Prime, Grimlock, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, and Bumblebee. Many videos on their Facebook page.

11. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Glad you're enjoying, Anakin_Prime. :) Absolutely... a proper throwback! I never expected a game like this to exist, especially thirty years after Generation 1 was introduced. Hey, as long as you can get by on 5 hours, right? :D It's for a worthy activity. And yes, it might certainly enter my list of favorite games, just for the concept alone.

Prime's rifle is sweet. It's so refreshing to see these fantastic characters in all their glory. The return of the original voice actors is an added bonus that really makes a substantial difference. Heck, the fact that Bumblebee has a voice again tells me they got it right. Wow, the way he's portrayed in the recent movies makes me sad. :_| He is NOT a Camaro! :mad:

Question: Does anyone know how to use the three free costume packs that came with pre-order? Does this option have to be unlocked, or am I just missing something? Thanks.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Anakin_Prime

Feb 27, 2005
    The 3 skins that came with the pre order should appear the first time you enter the Ark on the story mode. Which is probably halfway through the 1st stage.

Didn't know if you knew, but the challenge modes unlock as you complete stages in the story mode. Which I love playing! Great for just all out action and leveling up.

Blue Ice Cream likes this.
  13. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Anakin_Prime
    Thanks for the info. :) I thought the bonus skins were a nice touch, and the first stage alone has plenty of replay value. Heck, I like transforming over and over again just to hear the classic sound. :D

Yeah, the challenge mode adds variety. Action-packed, and tons of fun. Also, I really enjoyed Prime vs. Devastator early in the game.

Another Question (for those of you with a PS4): Embarrassed to ask, but I just got the console. When Devastation downloaded, the system also downloaded 'Application Data'. Naturally, the game installed, but this 'Application Data' remains in notifications as downloaded only. I can't recall if my other games also had this 'App. Data' and it installed. So, does this 'Data' need to be installed for Devastation, or does it just remain downloaded only?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Awesome game, and pretty tough. Can't wait for the two sequels coming.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There are sequels coming? :eek: Given how good this game is I think I'll be preordering those. I'm just going to keep playing it until I get SS rank on all missions and I have all the achievements for it. At least I will if the sequels don't come out first.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The important question is are the sequels being developed by Platinum. It's pretty clear it's their touch that has made this the underdog hit of the year.

Anakin_Prime likes this.