main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers Discussion Thread (Transformers: Dark of the Moon)

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    So many points there, Bayformers 3 took bits and pieces from the first three seasons, even from the Original and Best 1986 movie

Ehren Kruger just cobbled together the story/plot such as it
    is; from the first three seasons of Generation One episodes and the original Transformers Movie:

Season One 1. Ultimate Doom 1-3
    Megatron uses the Space Bridge to bring Cybertron to Earth,and with the Insecticon Bombshell's
    Hypno-chips employs humans as slaves/shields to harvest the energy of tidal forces from bringing
    an entire planet in orbit around Earth. He does this with a major help from Shockwave ,who in the
    Bayformers version just stands around waving his gun-arm, growling, slobbering and yelling like
    any number of manic street preacher/hobos. Oh but him and that worm seem to spend an
    inordinate amount of time together.
    Season Two
    2. City of Steel
    The Decepticons attack a Major US city( New York) and decide to turn it into a Fortress
    (sound familiar?) they did the same in season Three to make Trypticon too by the way.
    3. The Immobilizer
    We're introduced to Carly.

4. Atlantis,Arise
    Megatron with the Help of Nergil and his Sub-Atlanticans attack and take over Washington D.C.
    Megatron walks to the Lincoln Memorial,removes the Lincoln statue,and has himself a sit-down.
    In the Bayformers version Megatron shoots the statue first and then has himself a sit-down.

5. Megatron's Master Plan
    Megatron enlists/blackmails Shawn Berger to discredit the Autobots,they are loaded onto a rocket
    headed into space. Megatron messes with the controls to aim it into the Sun. The Autobots escape
    and come back to pull the humans' collective fat out of the fire following obligatory Decepticon
    treachery.

.The original Movie (1986)

Leonard Nimoy is cast as the voice of Galvatron,Bayformers Sentinel Prime sounds just like him.
    No not because it is the same person. Nimoy specifically alters his voice to sound exactly like
    Galvatron,but Sentinel Prime has a beard, moustache and cape just like Alpha Trion.
    Top it off with him using Spock's line from The Wrath of Khan:
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Oh how clever,how very original.:rolleyes:

Season Three
    6. Thief in the Night
    Abdul Fakkadi is harboring terrorists and and Decepticons in the desert republic of Carbombya.
    7. Dweller in the Depths
    A Trans-organic creature from Cybertron's Quintesson past called The Dweller, looks alot like an
    Arrakeen sandworm, tunnels up from the depths,thirty stories high, breathing fire,his head in the sky.
    Oh not that last bit, that was Godzilla,anyways the Dweller did have a mouth like a lamprey with a
    worm-like b

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's still a few of the classic episodes that are fun to watch/pretty good. However, I would not suggest they are better than sex, though. ;)

::snort:: [face_laugh]

3. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    So, they brought scissors. Awesome.

Besides having European accents (which I dug) and looking/being cool (which I also dug) they did zlich, imo (I've only seen the movie once, mind you).

I remember Optimus specifically telling them to go ahead and create a distraction or something (God the actual sequence of what happened during the last hour of that movie were confusing) and then the next time I see them they're cutting him down.

I suppose they made the ship or something, but why the WHY was there a SPACE SHUTTLE on the side of that ship???? I'm having a hard time putting into words how [stupid] that is.

While I'm thinking about it, how ultimately [stupid] was it of them to have Optimus' mouth shield be retractable? a) his mouth looks incredibly poor compared to the other robots, who have all benefited from being created later and whatnot, when emoting. If anything, his eyes are plenty expressive. b) so all the other robots are [stupid] because they DON'T have one, right? and c) why would he have a metal shield to cover his metal mouth, anyway? All the more reason to have just left his shield on the whole time and no explanation further than "that's how he is" would be necessary. "it looks cool"

Darn Bay messing with stuff just to mess with it.

That's crazy of Shia. What a boss, baggin it tho. When they were hangin out and it was being downplayed me: "COME ON, MAN!!" so good for him. dumb to say that, though. But I guess he got tired of hiding it. It's like saving the world and no one knowing or caring [PLOT LINK!!!].

Awesome.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    No, you want useless? RATCHET.

I dont think he even fired off a shot during the entire movie.

Basically...he goes to the moon to help Optimus retrieve Sentinel.

Then he's in the background when the Autobots get on the shuttle.

Then he shows up in Chicago, and supposedly gets captured. I can't remember if he was even in that group.

I think they IMPLIED he was with them. But...all I remember was Bumblebee, WHEELJACK, and MIRAGE. (I refuse to call them "Que" and "Dino")
    Then WHEELJACK was executed, and Bumblebee saved everyone.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Ratchet helped treat Sentinel prior to Prime using the Matrix on him too.

But, yeah- not only is Ratchet absent most of the movie, he's a terrible medic. He said he was still working on repairing Bumblebee's voice (and managed to fix it a little at the end of the first film with that revitalizing laser), and, ok, we get to the second movie and it's not fixed yet. They've been busy hunting down Decepticons with NEST, so that's ok.

But now this film specifically shows that a lot of time has passed since the second film and that the Decepticons have basically been gone for most, if not all, that time. So, the Autobots have been so bored they've been helping the US track down human terrorists.

So, you're telling me, with all that "down time" (where Bee is not even busy helping/hanging out with Sam, mind you), Ratchet still couldn't bother to finally fix his voice? Something he had already made significant progress on in the first film?

6. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Clearly the filmmakers decided Bumblebee was better with a radio voice. I'd like to know all the movies he was using to speak.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At one point I thought it actually was Bee talking (when he said goodbye to Sam) and I was like "Ah, that's a great little character moment". But then they showed he was still using radio/movie lines, so so much for that.

Hopefully the TV series will get Bee's voice back during it's run. I think it's been said that even Hasbro is tired of voiceless Bumblebee.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Am I the only one that thinks that Transformers: Prime kicks the movie's ass six ways to Sunday, in pretty much every aspect? Doing that while using a lot of the elements of the films, except they actually work.

Bay, maybe if you'd given the bots some more character development(and Arcee more than 4 seconds of screentime), you'd have delivered a series half worth watching more than once.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I will say one thing negatively about it....

It's the worst-designed version of Starscream I have ever seen.
    [image=http://mimg.ugo.com/201102/0/8/0/172080/cuts/transformers-prime-starscream-bot_288x288.jpg]

It's even worse than Bay's "Gorilla Rooster".
    [image=http://files.myopera.com/Thm-kirby/albums/609110/1TelaCapturada0556.png]
    Cock-a-doodle-doo

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Damn, I must be getting too damn old for my own good, because I tried watching Prime on YouTube (no free Hub on my cable provider's basic service thank you very much) and just couldn't stand it. The only redeeming thing is, as always, Optimus Prime Voiced By Peter Cullen. But the obligatory silliness of a kiddie oriented show ruins it for me. Hell, I disliked Beast Wars when it first came out but it grew on me the closer it tied to G1 and when the stories were a bit more serious and mature.

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    So, has anyone here picked up the new Transformers Headmasters DVDs that were released this week? For those who don't know, Headmasters was a Japanese only series that continues after season 3 of the US series (ignoring the Rebirth finale). I can't get it because I'm in South America for a little bit yet and was just looking for thoughts from people who've gotten the set.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm looking forward to picking up Headmasters- never saw it, and curious to see what might have been. I've seen clips on youtube (Soundwave's new form vs Blaster in a cassettes brawl that is close in brutality to the Prime/Megatron fight in the movie, as well as a hilarious Galvatron vs Rodimus and Optimus Prime "TWO Primes? This is bullcrap!" moment), but thats about it.

Prime gets good far, far faster than Beast Wars. Beast Wars took almost 2 seasons to be watchable on a regular basis- and even then, Prime's pilot wasn't anywhere near as wretched as BW's pilot. There is still some occasional kid silliness but they've done some good work with the bot characters (check out the Starscream clips I linked to earlier).

ALso, to it's credit, they've done some good human threat plotlines recently with the "MECH" organization. And, while Agent Fowler is goofy, he's not terrible.

The Starscream design doesn't look that bad in the actual show. It's not as "scheming prince" like as the G1 style, but it's nowhere near as awful as that Bay design. The eyebrows on the Prime design kinda throw me off, though.

[image=http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/93/DarknessRising3-interrogateFowler.jpg] [image=http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/b/b6/Masters%26Students-SoundwaveStarscream.jpg] [image=http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/91/StarscreamPrime.jpg]

13. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    The space shuttle was added to the ship so the U.S. government could maintain "operational (or was it military?) control". Frances McDormand's words

He did. It's a shot where Lennox, his NEST troops and the Autobots are running towards the camera, and Ratchet is firing his gun from behind. This shot was in the TV ads.

He was. He's saying "Get off me" when a Decepticon drone (or was it Barricade or Soundwave?) pushes him to the ground.

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Today, under protest, we went to see this.

I give it 0 out of whatever you choose to mark it out of.

Just. Bloody. Terrible.

15. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Peter Cullen attended today's final space shuttle launch...according to this NASA VIP list:

http://www.space.com/12213-final-shuttle-launch-nasa-vip-list-atlantis.html

16. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    [face_laugh]

17. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    So, they were sending humans to Cybertron? They may have some feeble explanation, and I appreciate you digging it up (not trying to be a jerk here, really), but it's still beyond stupid.

edit: I mean, how would sticking a shuttle on it grant them control? Were they going to jump out into space and into the autobot ship to check on them? And it was stuck to a booster jet (or whatever they're called), which was between it and the main ship. Those fall away after the atmosphere, correct? So they just wanted to be along for the ride until they got to space?

llllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

18. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Dude... Simple explanation: Bay wanted to pay homage to the shuttle and film one on the pad one last time since the shuttle program will be coming to an end on July 20. There you go. :)

Bay could've just as easily CGI'ed the Autobot ship, minus the shuttle, onto an empty launch platform at Kennedy Space Center...instead, he waited till September of last year to film Discovery since it was transported to the pad around that time to prepare for its final flight

Don't bother analyzing the storypoints of Bay's films. Guessed use to the fallacy of inventing a major fictional city (Mission City) to fight in at the end of Transformers 1, when Bay should've used Las Vegas...which is actually only 20-30 miles from Hoover Dam ;)

(Nevermind the fact that Mission City would be acknowledged as Los Angeles in Transformers 2, anyway...opening up even more ridiculous plot inconsistencies)

19. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    see, now THAT's a reasonable explanation. And it falls in line with the reason bay does anything: he thinks it's cool.

still stupid, though.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Why didn't he just have SkyLinx, AstroTrain, or Blastoff(with an obvious and unnecessary name change, par Bay's course) be a character in the new movie, if he had to have a shuttle in the movie? Seems like a logical chance to add in another established bot.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Read a blurp today that said Bay and Shia are done with Transformers but that a rep for the series said there might be another trilogy, implied that it would be done without Bay and Shia. It would not be a reboot, but a continuation. Take as rumor until further notice.

22. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    That comment was by Don Murphy, one of the producers on the TF films. He actually worked on the Transformers franchise before Spielberg and Bay came onboard.

To ASG: I agree. I and a lot of other folks were hoping that the shuttle would either be Skylynx or Astrotrain in DOTM

23. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The good news is that because the franchise has used time travel as a plot point every so often....a new Transformers movie could wind up doing what JJ Abrams' Star Trek did and be a reboot, a sequel, AND a prequel all in the same movie. :p

EDIT -- Yeah, we were all counting on Astrotrain being the shuttle. Supposedly one of the DOTM prequel comics has Shockwave and Astrotrain arriving together, causing the Tunguska Event.

24. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    With JJ Abrams directing! :)

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I read as it having a shuttle on it makes it part of a different government department as a simple alien space ship. Like classifying it as part of the NSA rather than NEST, or something. Not that they intended to send human observers along (which they clearly didn't.)

Anyways still a very very stupid movie. My brother's relationship with me is now strained for making me see this. :p