main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers Movie Score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Though that's probably the only real track around (if you go to the Burger King site). Which is a total shame that the only place you can hear a piece of the score is at a fast food restaurant's website.

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Just saw this ridiculous film.

Wow! To say that this music is too dull and derivative of past scores to warrant its own album release would be an understatement.

3. jazzautbot

jazzautbot Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2007
    Hey everyone! The score soundtrack is taking longer than we all would of thought. In order to show our desire and support for the Score soundtrack, an online petition has been created. If you want the score soundtrack sign the petition. Click on the link below, or if it doesn't work just copy and paste it into the address bar.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?tfmjabcd

Thanks everyone and have a great day! We'll get this score soundtrack soon enough!!!

4. packerfansam

packerfansam Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2007
    That is just...sad.

5. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003
    Even more sad is this:

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=11235

At this time, there are no immediate plans regarding the release of the Transformers soundtrack score.

SonyMusicStore Customer Service

That's 4 times Sony Music has effed it up (1st was that copy-protected CD debacle, 2nd refused to release Ep II complete score, 3rd refused to release Ep III complete score). Sony Music is really really pissing me off.

6. jazzautbot

jazzautbot Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2007
    www.petitiononline.com/tfmjabcd/

If you want the Score released sign the online petition. I agree that sony is doing a terrible job!!!

7. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't get it... how is this score good? Haven't you already heard this pretentious muck in Black Hawk Down and Pirates? Whenever an MV composer writes a new score, the easiest way to approximate it is to throw together a mix tape of random past Hans Zimmer works.

8. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I want this soundtrack just for the music in which the autobots come to earth! That musics a highlight of the film for me.

9. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003
    Some more promising news:

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/2007/07/chandra-cogburn-transformers-score.html

10. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't get it either, this score is recycled crap. There is no way around that.

Go find better scores to listen to.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    OMG that's one of the best cues of the year.

12. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Er... slow year?

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Just a hunch, but I'd guess this is a case of the onscreen action making the cue seem much better than it is.

Generic and repetitive as the Media Ventures stuff is, it generally works. The MV guys keep getting hired because, although their compositions have the musical nutritious value of cigarettes, they DO pump the adrenaline in a generic way.

I think that for a lot of people, the Transformers flying to Earth was going to be an exciting, emotional experience regardless of what music was attached. It so happens that the Jablonsky cue is what was used, so that became inextricably attached to the emotional content of that scene.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I never read this thread before seeing the movie, but now that I did, I must only lol - every movie I thought of while hearing parts of the score was mentioned on the first page [face_laugh] Though Rock, Batman Begins and Terminator were what I thought to be the most prominent ones. Only... Terminator? Why that??

and thanks to the poster above me for reminding me what scene that was that good one of the three or four nice cues: Their approach. I actually really did like it, though I'm not sure it was for those precise reasons. I'd definitely like to hear that cue again, though.

oh yeah, and the choral stuff for Megatron was actually a nice touch, even though it's not brilliant.

I'm pretty sure Michael Bay makes movies to fit a usual MV score :p (though, really, he makes the same movie every time anyway ;))

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Jablonsky is a risk-taking, edgy composer. He doesn't just rip off MV movies, he'll rip off ANY movie, which is why he's a great composer.:p

16. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    I could be totally wrong, but as of now Sony will not release the TF score album.

If you look, you can find a few leaks from the engineers over at sony with some of the score cues, but as it stands there is a bit too much political B.S. over at Sony and with the contracts for the music cues.

As of now, they are leaving a score album release alone and dont have any future plans for her release.

If anybody wants the TF score, give it a year or so and I can promise you faithfully somebody over at Sony is going to leak it, same with Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, ect. ect.

P.S. The online petition doesnt hurt, but doesnt help. sorry.

17. sithlordarthmaul1

sithlordarthmaul1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2007
    You do realize that with out the score or a right score, any movie would suck cause it doesn't bring you into the movie or put you in a certain mood. Imagine Star wars without music, or Indiana Jones, or LOTR, anything you need the music, but the music has to be good otherwise it won't fit the on screen situation.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You do realize that there are films without scores that don't suck right?

19. sithlordarthmaul1

sithlordarthmaul1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2007
    I don't think i have seen any movies without a score.
    Can you name 3 that don't have a score please?

20. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Fritz Lang's M

Woody Allen's Interiors

Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon

Sidney Lumet's Fail-Safe

Fail-Safe is actually a pretty good movie. The editing is tight, the pacing is good, and for a thriller, it's up there with any of the best. Unfortunately, it didn't get noticed because it was released a few weeks after Dr. Strangelove and followed almost the same plot, minus the black humor and satire.

21. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003
    I didn't really find the flying to Earth that exciting or emotional and still liked that cue. It was a nice choral bit that to me had absolutely nothing to do with the content of the scene.

From what I've can tell, there are really three groups. One is the MV-supporting group who love that synth-bombastic approach they use no matter how repetitive it is. The second are the MV-hating groups which will hate their work no matter how good they may sound. And the third is the muddled middle. Those in the middle tend to be more casual listeners who go with what their ears register to and have no strong opinion either way. As for me, I prefer the symphonic "old-fashioned" music but I will enjoy a little electronic-synth track from time to time so I end up probably in the middle.

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    That bit about electronics is sort of a misconception. I prefer the symphonic approach as much anyone, but I don't inherently dislike electronic music. Hell, mindless dance beats like "Sandstorm" can be catchy. I see two major problems with MV-style music:

1) It is cheap/shoddy/dull. Electronic music is an exciting genre; almost any sound can be produced by the right synthesizer. MV-style scores usually attempt only the barest innovation in this genre, sticking to tried and true faux-orchestral muck. For electronic music that actually pushes the limits of sound and programming, check out the excellent Half-Life video game scores by Kelly Bailey.

2) MV music is orchestral music on steroids. This sounds cool until you realize that people on steroids are adrenaline-charged *******s. Say a guy starts taking steroids to grow muscle mass, and after a while all he can do is compare himself to other body builders and insult guys smaller than he is. Now, replace the man in the example with the score to 300, and...

Okay, I lied; there's a third major reason. The third reason is that dozens of composers and arrangers work interchangeably to complete one man's score without any thought to unified vision or creativity. It's simply unacceptable. Writing good music isn't easy, though Hans "I can write that in my sleep" Zimmer may disagree (the quote refers to the "old fashioned woodwind runs" he wrote for At World's End). Reading interviews with Zimmer, you notice that Zimmer is a casual, easy-going guy. In fact, he's so easy-going that he gets lazy and has others write music for him, and when these others break out into their own, they hire their own others to write their scores. It's like a pyramid scam.

23. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Thats not entirely true. Zimmer founded Media Ventures to replicate the situation he had with Stanley Myers over in Britain. The whole point is to bring in young, inexperienced composers and apprentice them to older composers so that the young guys can gain experience to eventually break into the business on their own. The collaboration is one of the necessary parts of that model. Give the young guys a few scenes to score here and there under the guidance of the head composer so that they can build their confidence and eventually get their own film. Now while I don't necessarily agree with what comes out of Media Ventures, I do like the idea of the company. When you think about it, what they are doing isn't so different from what Alfred Newman and all the other heads of the music departments did during the Golden Age. 20th Century had a huge music department during the 40s and 50s with hundreds of staff composers. In those days the studios were tuning out literally hundreds of movies a year, which would give the lead composer only a few weeks to come up with 40-50 minutes of score. In situations like that collaboration was necessary and unavoidable, though granted most of the collaboration was with the orchestrators. Even Andre Previn got his start working as an orchestrator, composer, and conductor under some of the big names at MGM when he was 16.

As for your last point about the "pyramid scam," this says more about the composer himself than about where he came from. A few talented composers have come out of Media Ventures and write the entirety of their scores. If only we could have a Media Ventures where the old hats are John Williams, Howard Shore, Thomas Newman, and Alan Silvestri. That would be quite an awesome music consultation company.

24. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Andy, good points, but a lot of terrible scores came out of the fifties, too (though I have admittedly heard few). Most of these scores are totally forgotten and unavailable in the digital format. One advantage the fifties had was greater competence in music theory, arrangement and orchestration. However, I would not argue for a second that every score from that period was exceptionally creative. Film goers were addicted to certain, stereotypical sounds in film music then just as they are today.

Media Ventures does indeed give up and coming composers a chance for experience, but it's still a fact that the head guy gets a lot of his music written for him. One function of the apprentice system has always been to alleviate the workload of the master. This is reasonable in manual production, but in art? Also, how valuable is the experience if it teaches composers to write in cliched, predictable patterns?

25. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Just as a side note, shouldn't we be calling it Remote Control Productions? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.