main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers Movie Score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  2. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Bingo! That's the biggest problem with Zimmer and his factory. On paper it sounds great -- he's giving young composers a chance to spread their wings -- but if they all end up sounding the same in the end, what's the point? As an artist myself (photographer), I found that the most important thing for me was to learn on my own and develop my own style. Was I influenced by my favorite photographers? Hell yes, but having influences is different than trying sound like someone else. If you are working on a score -- a single work -- that is being primarily written by someone else it's next to impossible to have your own voice. As Cerrabore said, it's teaching these composers to write in almost cookie-cutter patterns. Trying to shake stuff that's been ingrained early in your career is hard. Not impossible, but certainly difficult.

3. SithLordVengeance

SithLordVengeance Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2006
    People can rest easy now...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000VFGQHK/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-3087601-4223163?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

4. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Why, why, why, on earth would you spend $18.98 on a score that is 90% temp music?

5. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    what do you mean temp music??? It's all music from the film.

what i wanna know is will it be sold in stores?

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It's in the film, but blatantly ripped in large part from other films such as The Rock.

That said, I enjoyed and will probably get it when it's released, which will be the first or second week in October, I believe.

I'm more curious, though, about Jablonsky's score to Dragon Wars. I'm hoping for more Steamboy and less 90s Media Venture style.

7. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    Yeah, I know what you mean ,I am personally sick of the lack of creativity that is comin outta todays modern composers. It goes past inspiration to the point of rip off, very sad.

Anyhow, here are some D-War samps. from jablonky

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=712

Also, second week in oct. Oct. 9th is the TF score release date, and if it dont contain the original trailer cue from the launch trailer which also partly appears in the film it aint really too much worth buying imho.

8. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    Does anyone know if there's sheet music of this score available?

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Here.

Just mix and match, and eventually you'll get the Transformers score. It's the Media Ventures way.;)

10. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    Ha ha. :p

I found someone's piano version of a couple of TF themes on youtube. Where in the movie does the first part of that music come from?

11. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Prime's opening narration.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The score's out, btw. :D

13. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    And it's hard to find in stores. A lot of them are out of stock.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I got mine off of iTunes

15. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
  16. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Soundtrack "critics" have never been kind to Zimmer and his accomplices since the late 90's because of the lack of creativity. Oh well, I just enjoy listening to a few of the nice sounding tracks on the CD and that's fine for me. If I wanted to listen to unique, original works that get me thinking, I'd go to contemporary classical music not necessarily film scores (unless it's John Williams, a former UCLA attendee. Go Bruins!). The Transformers score is just like the movie, a nice simple bit of entertainment where you just relax and go with the flow. There's no need to over-analyze it in terms of its artistic or innovative value. It's almost as silly as holding a lecture series on the aesthetic value of TV commercial tunes. Just understand that it's just something simple to enjoy and leave it at that.

17. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    To me, Transformers and other Remote Control scores are similar McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. -- cheap, tasty, fast, and merely adequate. When you go to a fast food restaurant, you go because it's fast and will only cost a few dollars. However, not very many people leave a fast food restaurant and say, "My god, that was a great meal. I'm stuffed and couldn't eat another bite." It's simply OK and gives you replenishment. You would feel so much better by eating a well-balanced meal that took time and thought to cook. Similarly, Transformers and many RC scores work in their respective films, but that's all they do. They rarely make the film better or add something special. A score from a composer who will take the time to come up with interesting original material will do more to help the film than a McScore.

A hamburger from McDonalds is basically the same as a hamburger from Burger King with a few differences here and there. The same can be said about RC composers and scores. There's nothing wrong with fast food once in a while, but eating too much will lead to harmful consequences down the road.

Probably the strangest post I've written in a while, but I stand by it. :p

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll agree that it's not amazing, but I am enjoying it thus far. It's been stuck in my head all week.

19. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Excellent post. I'd like to see you incorporate heart disease and obesity as well, though.

And may I quote this at JWFan.net?

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Sure, not a problem.

As for heart disease and obesity I had thought about adding that, but thought it might be going overboard, but as you've asked, hehe:

America definitely has a problem with heart disease being the number one killer in the nation. The problem stems largely from poor eating habits such as going to McDonalds four times a week and not exercising. Fast food is literally killing people in this country one by one. RC is in a way killing film music as well. As more and more directors go the quick and easy route with music that simply works in their films without adding anything special, they will eventually kill intelligent film music.

21. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    My god. The McScore. Brilliant.

22. More_Friendly_Robots

More_Friendly_Robots Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2007
    So apparently Skorponok is the Kraken. Who knew?

23. andy1044

Aug 26, 2006
    Also, Optimus is the Terminator.

24. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    This is one of the best posts on this subject I've seen and sums up my feelings exactly.

25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just wanted to add Hitchcock's The Birds to films with no score (and it works brilliantly there).

Saw the film last night for the first time, and I was totally reminded of Terminator music

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.