main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    No, no, no, Data is a robot, he was built to mimic humans and only comes close (in an artificial way) to sentiency with his emotion chip fitted. The Transformers had no prior contact with humans and only mimic the vehicles/tools that they transform into as a way of disguise. They have emotions and are free-thinking, Optimus Prime is as much a robot as Chewbacca is.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Except Chewbacca is not a machine and therefore can't be a robot.

3. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Clonetroopers are more robotic than transformers.

1, Clonetroopers were created en masse, Transformers are individuals.

2, Clonetroopers have little or no emotions, Transformers do.

3, Clonetroopers will follow orders by compulsion, Transformers can make their own decisions.

Just because it looks like your idea of a robot does not mean it is a robot.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    A clone can't be a robot because it's not a machine, robotic in behaviour as it might be.

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Does this mean Peter Crouch can't possibly do the robot dance when he scores because he's a human? :eek:

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I question Peter Crouch's humanity.
    No-one of such proportions should be good at football, yet he is.

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I would debate that (and have on frequent occasions)

he is adequate at best

8. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

Great ! post your responce to the creators of Transformers and see if they can rectify 25 years of history that these are not robots. [face_plain]

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Michael Bay won't care. He only likes effects, not plotline

[image=http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1110/1110_michael_bay.jpg]
    :p

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If the new movie is anything to go by, Sie is right. Michael "more explosions" Bay certainly delivered on the action front. The film has masterful CG and awesome battle scenes. Once again let down by the over-used and averagely acted (or not acted at all in Megan Fox'z case) human characters, the movie is called Transformers not Sam's Life Story, I couldn't care less what weak and puny humans do I want Robot smackdown.

I was disappointed by the much hyped yet limited appearances of certain Transformers, but ultimately they were all quite well set up as individual characters, some were even quite funny.

11. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Quite possibly one of the worse films ever made!

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Michael Bay already did one of those, it was called Pearl Harbour :p

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not really a fan so I won't bother going. Most of the reviews I have seen and heard have said it's a stinker though. I recommend spending your money to see the Star Trek film instead if you haven't seen it.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It does seem as though it has been aimed at people who saw the old animated series and know which robot is which before seeing the movie. I think a lot of people have struggled to identify each robot, especially during the fight scenes as Optimus Prime & Bumblebee are the only ones with distinctive colours or markings that make them stand out.

15. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Personally I think this film has nothing to do with Transformers!

The main reason why the fights are so confusing is because the designs are too heavy going with all the mechanical parts. Unlike proper Transformers which had far simpler designs, which made is easier to identify who was who and which part was which part. Credit to ILM for some excellent work, but sadly they've gone several thousand miles down the wrong road.

16. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Anyone can cherry pick;

"A robot is a virtual or mechanical artificial agent. In practice, it is usually an electro-mechanical system which, by its appearance or movements, conveys a sense that it has intent or agency of its own. The word robot can refer to both physical robots and virtual software agents, but the latter are usually referred to as bots.[1] There is no consensus on which machines qualify as robots, but there is general agreement among experts and the public that robots tend to do some or all of the following: move around, operate a mechanical limb, sense and manipulate their environment, and exhibit intelligent behavior, especially behavior which mimics humans or other animals."

...and as Richie himself says;

I was disappointed by the much hyped yet limited appearances of certain Transformers, but ultimately they were all quite well set up as individual characters, some were even quite funny.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I know Bay wanted much more realism and physics with his Transformers then the original robots had. Megatron originally (certainly in the cartoon) turned into a handgun, Bay dislikes the idea of a huge robot being able to morph into something so small. Same with Soundwave downsizing into a tape player, he is simply too large.

The main reason Soundwave wasn't in the first movie was because designers were divided on what form he should take. Eventually they didn't bother with him and they got round it in this movie too.

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    If Transformers aren't robots then what are they? A robot can be completely sentient, there isn't a ban on it.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Exactly, Data is a sentient robot who exhibits near human behaviour.

20. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't the term Robotic Organism a contradiction?
    Organisms are, as the term suggests "Organic", robots are not.

22. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001

It's a contradiction but you got the wrong end of the stick, an organism is any living thing; the Transformers are living, sentient beings which means that they can not be robots.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Why?

Data was a sentient machine, but he was a robot.

HAL 9000 was a sentient computer, but it was still a machine.

A Cyborg can be classed as an organism, a robot is not.

24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'll ignore the Robot "debate"

I'm going with

seen it liked it and screw the haters. I've gone in expectng confusing violence and recieved confusing violence. I'll wait till they're redone with a decent writer before I hope for a coherent story

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It has the same writing team as Star Trek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.