main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Transformers] Stranger Than Fiction--A vignette of Leo's roommates--ROTF SPOILER ALERT!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DarthIshtar, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Author's note: So, I was watching Transformers a few days ago and when Optimus Prime mentioned that they learned English from the world-wide web, I got a plot bunny for the autobots having things like Myspace, Facebook and especially a blog. Then I had an idea that it would be government protected and someone would go "Why the heck is someone's BLOG protected by the CIA?" And then I saw the movie, met Leo and his roommates and...well, this is where that ended up. And no, I have never read "The Veiled Threat," but thanks go to RK_Striker_JK_5 who read a joke I made in here that turned out to be canon.
    It was late, or early, depending on how you thought about it. Fassbinder was trying learning by osmosis with his Norton anthology and I was about to sign off?I had to be up early for my eleven o?clock?when I got mail.

?Sah-weeeeeeeeeeet,? I crowed.

?Nghh??

I ignored Fass. He was never much good until he?d been awake for a few and had a Red Bull. My last email of the night was from allklugedup@aol.com, this hot Asian girl in Texas. She?d traded me a year of hosting for some of her mad skills, but I hadn?t talked to her in weeks. Best not to mess with an artist at work.

?Fass,? I hissed.

He groaned and rolled his head to the other side so he was now drooling on Coleridge.

?Fass,? I repeated.

He wasn?t responding, so I decided to sneak a peek. What I found in the e-mail DEFINITELY warranted sharing. I picked up the nearest of his X-files novels and smacked him heartily upside the head with it.

?FASS!?

?OW!? he protested in a bewildered tone. ?Whadja do that for??

?Shut up. We?ve got first contact from Kluged.?

?Sweet,? he said, instantly alert if not awake. ?What she say??

?She thinks she?s cracked it. Get me a Bull and we?ll try it out.?

?It,? of course, was the code we?d been working on for a coupla months. Ever since the first Youtube videos started popping up with giant robots getting Godzilla on Mission City?s butt, we?d been looking for evidence that it wasn?t just some teenage wannabe who knew his way around stop-motion animation.

There was a ton of stuff. Theories about secret government projects, alien contacts that predated Roswell and even a website for fangirls who thought the badass one was hot. But there were no government fingerprints all over it. Usually, there was some kind of data trail that sounded like a CIA front.

We never expected to find a government filter on a blog. Friends-only we?d run into. Password-protected we hacked with ease. When you had to have a 32-character cryp key to read about someone?s trip to Arkansas, that was different.

That was where Lian came in. She was the best cryppie I?d known and she was all about reciprocity. I scratch your Linux, you scratch mine, that sort of thing.

?What?s she say??

??Hey, Sharsk and Fass,?? I read. ??What a lot of cruftsmanship. This thing was so kluged up by amateurs I?m half-tempted to send them a resume. They probably think Javascript is something invented by Starbucks. But here you go. You might be disappointed. You owe me. Lian.??

?Disappointed or not, if this works, I?m naming my firstborn after her,? Fassbinder announced.

He popped the top of a Red Bull and handed it over. I chugged it?I needed liquid strength this late at night?and then opened the email.

?Okay, got the site cranked up,? Fassbinder announced. ?Username and password??

It was case-sensitive and was probably made up after someone fell asleep on top of their keyboard, but it just might work.

?Got it??

?Got it.?

I spun my desk chair around and squinted at his laptop as if that was going to make it go quicker.

?Anything??

?Still loading,? Fass muttered. ?Either the government?s got the server from hell or it?s really graphics-heavy??

?Or maybe they?re tracking us,? I said; Leo wasn?t here, so I had to play devil?s advocate.

Fass nodded distractedly and waved his hand at the screen like he was mind-tricking someone. ?Cruncha cruncha cruncha?and we?re in. Whoa??

This? The US g

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Awesome. :D I love you actually injecting personality into Fass and Shar, there. A blog... perfect way to throw off suspision! :D

3. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    good job with dialogue-- very college student. :D

4. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    That's pretty good, I love the dialogue and the little hints of strangeness, they didn't get. Difficult without knowing, what to expect, but I love it, that I could recognize the mechs immediatly.

A pickup Truck on the top of the colliseum? Oh dear :oops: but... it's funny.

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    This is one time where I need to see the movie to review properly... liked it. :) (And yeah... the BtVS phase finally wound down. [face_dancing] )

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    RK_Striker_JK_5?Thanks! I had way too much fun with this and you know how addictive this has become. ? The blog idea came before the movie and it made me laugh so hard for them to have those conspiracy theorists!

SpiritofEowyn?Thanks, I?m used to it. :p

Cem_Fel?Thanks, Cem. Yes, they didn?t get a lot of it. LOL, the pickup truck on top of the Colliseum was just a random joke that I thought up originally as a ?semi? on top of the Colliseum. Then Striker went ?Oh, I didn?t know you?d read that comic!? It?s in ?The Veiled Threat,? I believe it?s called.

DaenaBenjen42?Yes, you do need to see the movie! ? Thanks. And yay for past phases!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.