main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers: The Movie / The Phantom Menace (Parallels?)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Happy Ninja, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I was just over at the IMDB, and for some reason, I started looking up Transformers: The Movie, and I noticed this quote that a reviewer posted:

I rented this movie and watched it because it was just about the only 80s cartoon movie I haven't seen yet and I had heard it was actually pretty good. About halfway through the climatic battle, I came to a stunning conclusion. A revelation that suggests that this movie has been much more influential than anyone would want to admit:

It's "Star Wars 1: the Phantom Menace".

I'm serious, you watch these two movies back to back if you doubt me. You have an annoying kid (Danny/Anakin) who ends up saving the day. You have an apprentice (R.C./Obi-Wan) who must reluctantly prove his mettle (hahaha) when his master (Optimus Prime/Qui-gon Gin) dies. You have a final battle sequence that switches P.O.V.s around like nobody's buisiness. You have gigantic sea monsters made of armour and teeth. And you have a bunch of gibberish speaking locals (the Junkbots/the Gungans) who help the good guys save the world.

Then again, since Unicron is essentially a sentient Death Star, the influence is give and take.
    Do you think that is a fair comparison, or do you think it is a silly idea?

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think it's a fairly common recipe for a good adventure movie. It's not a coincidence, but I doubt Lucas has copied Transformers.

...or has he? [face_thinking]

Six episodes, Two trilogies, One Saga
    /LM

3. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Actually, I think that it was the other way around... ;)

4. bounty_hunters3000

bounty_hunters3000 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2005
    THAT IS KIND OF A WEIRD RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE TWO MOVIES BUT I GUESS YOUR RIGHT. GOOD THINKING.

5. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    How does Daniel save the day? He saves his dad (by blasting the lid to keep him from falling into the vat of acid), but that's pretty much it.

And wouldn't the "apprentice figure who has to prove himself after the death of the master (Optimus Prime)" be Hot Rod, not Arcee?

However, one could make a point for Wheelie being Jar Jar... :p

(To the poster above me: There's no reason to yell. Please lay off the all caps, thanks.)

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    And the destroyer droids do, in fact, "transform and roll out"...

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    More like both Transformers and Star Wars are both built on some very common story and character archetypes that hold popular and true for most audiences. :)

8. Alhon

Alhon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2005
    It's really scary you're actually looking for things like this...

9. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    deon't everything appear in a different order in the movioes they arn't that similar

10. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    ###And the destroyer droids do, in fact, "transform and roll out"...###

ROTFLMAO

11. joeypstyle

joeypstyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    transformers and star wars, two totally sweet things. they should make a crossover, it'd be RIDICULOUS.(probably not even in a good way haha)

12. Savoy

Savoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    There is actually a scene in The Phantom Menace that always reminds me of The Transformers - The Movie, right after the fight with Darth Maul when Qui Gon jumps on to the ramp of the ship there is a similar one in The Transformers - The Movie.

Also some characters have Light Sabre type weapons in the Transformers film.

Not only that but The Transformers - The Movie appears on this list of films referenced by The Phantom Menace.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/movieconnections

13. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    transformers and star wars, two totally sweet things. they should make a crossover, it'd be RIDICULOUS

Who's to say they aren't the same already?

- A ship load of droids crashed on a planet.
    - Without any hope of escape or rescue, they opt to continue their existance as a new society.
    - After decades of no memory wipes, they all develop divergant personalities.
    - Over the mellinia they name their planet Cybertron and incorporate the more efficent transforming mobility of the destroyer and starfighter droids.

And poof, you have the Transformers with a SW begining.

14. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, I thought it was common knowledge that Lucas "lifted" material from many different sources. Did Lucas rip-off The Transformers - The Movie? Yes, of course he did. It's quite clear.

http://www.echostation.com/interview/gurney.htm

http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/index.html

15. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    In the end, I ask you, does it matter? TPM was a good movie, I never watched Transformers, life has gone on.

16. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

17. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Episode One is in more correlation to the Seventh Samurai! Samuria/Jedi come to save a village(The Jedi saving Naboo/planet)and there are dead Samuria by the end of the movie(Qui-Gons dies).

18. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Actually,

The Hidden Fortress would be a much better anology story wise. Lucas mimiced a few things from Hidden Fortress in ANH...certian shots/music combo's are similar..homage if you will.. but the plot was very much different.

TPM, the plots are much closer... Two Samuri are trying to get a royal person back to her rightful place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.