San Fran, CA Transformers!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, there are mindless summer movies and there are summer movies which are just plain stupid. Transformers falls into the latter category. Its as if Michael Bay were to do a parody of himself coked and methed up. Once you get past the CGI and ridiculously bloated soundtrack, what' left is a soulless bland film that lacks any characters wort investing in. It's all eye candy and window dressing. Even the gee whiz factor of the transformers themselves bored me by the midway point and by the time it came for the final battle between Optimus and Megatron came, I was eying the exit. The only thing that kept me awake was the over-cranked sub-woofer in the theater.

Not the worst "blockbuster" movie I've ever seen, but it's up here with the American Godzilla, Elektra, Wing Commander, and Fantastic Four.
  2. DarthVader79 San Francisco FF Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Something about high school girls as well Matt. I think we should get a new rule. Discussing movies is as touchy a subject as discussing religion and politics. I should have put money on that bet.
  3. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    It's funny that as much as I want to call out the bashing going on here I just gotta keep in mind that it's an opinion. Should I call out someone in particullar then it just sounds like I'm picking a fight which adds to the increasingly negative environment here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion true, criticize all movies all you want... glorious and fine. As much as being articulate and using fancy vocabulary would help in what I'm about to say I'm gonna keep it simple because from what I'm getting from the negative comments it should be kept simple for those of us who can't follow complex and intricate plot:

I can see why the basher's forum was eliminated from TFN. It makes an environment that was built to share ideas, experiences, and a good time into people who want to share an over inflated opionion of something simple OVER that of people who just want to have a good time and like something mindless and fun. Now that this area has been turned into the official "bash the Transformers" section I can no longer sit back and watch others no longer post because they feel subconsciously insulted for liking the movie. No, no one has been insulted directly but the overall decline in posts here tells me something... Someone who wishes to post that they may have liked the movie now won't because it will seem like they are "stupid" to like it.

Transformers is #1 right now, MILLIONS of people think it rocked. I THINK IT ROCKED. Further more it's current, new, and fresh so people want to talk about it and share what's cool about it. It's not old, outdated, and boring like... :D well... let's not go there. Anyway, as I said, I think it rocked. The action was spectacular and Megan Fox is beautiful. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare out of this nor will it be the greatest movie of all time but it is a fun, mindless, summer movie. You want to think about something? Go to summer school, I hear CCSF has a nice automechanic program, maybe then you can make your own Autobots and create your own vision on how this movie should have been. That would be awesome and I 'd be down to see it! Until then, if want to have a good time, chill out, and NOT THINK then transform your thinking and roll out to catch this flick. Lastly if you want to call someone less intelligent for liking it? Then let's compare professions, stocks, 401ks... o_O SO finally... don't be afraid people! POST!
  4. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4

Can't really have that kind of rule Erick, it'd make the forums bland and uneventful. Furthermore it'd be an infringment on freedom of speech. What was the bet?! I still want to know! Also, I feel ya Matt, something about green-eyed brunettes, thus: Shania... =P~
  5. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    I will just add to Ming's post that when stating an opinion of something, remember to choose your words so that it reflects your own opinion and does not reflect on those whose opinions may be different. Personally I go to the movies to be entertained and I tend to like movies that are not "realistic", and while I have not seen transformers I have seen a lot in that vain. We have a very diverse group, with lots of different tastes, which I think only makes us stronger, but we have to remember that when we post. However, also remember that because someone does not like something you like, does not mean they do not like you.
  6. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    In my opinion I was not entertained.
  7. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    My favorite stuff from pop culture is mostly all from waaaaayyyyyy before I was 12. And some of it is from a long time, many decades before I was born. Maybe I aged fast, or am inverted to it somehow [face_laugh] (Would explain the really, really older stuff I like). Even Bridge to Terabithia, which I liked quite a bit, I thought more than a few parts of that movie were too contrived.

But anyway, this is the Transformers thread, so...I didn't think the transformers themselves were bad (as in they LOOKED fine, except for Megatron who looked like a tribal tattoo, what little we saw of him). They looked okay, and there was action in the movie. But it was not action shown in any sort of tension building way. Shown very straight forward. So, many people (I don't mean people from this board) have been saying not to expect too much, it's supposed to be about shutting your brain off, and enjoying the ride...but I found the action to not be that exhilirating because no reason was given to invest in or care about what happened to the characters. We had not enough time established with their plight to foster this. And the human characters were very generic, and some of them (not Sam, but others) didn't really have any admirable qualities. So, it's hard to care what happens to these people and the Transformers. I was waiting for it to end for a while before it even got to the big battle in the city streets. It's making tons of money though so I guess more mind numbing idiot fests will surely follow and audiences will surrender without argument to the increasing lapse of character. Woo-freaking-hoo. =P~
  8. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    You should all know also that I'm wearing glasses right now so that only make me more intelligent. :-B
  9. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually think Shia's character was alright, but his character seemed to be very similar in personality to the one he portrayed in Constantine and I Robot to me.
  10. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    That little comic was funny though.
  11. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    I will leave the group entirely if this happens. I am glad that JediTenken at least defended free speech. My opinion is about the movie. Some people like it, some don't. It appears that more like it, than not. But that's not the real topic.

A big part of this club IS movies. That would be ridiculous for people to not be able to say if they loved a movie, or thought one was stupid. And give reasons why. What kind of age are we living in anyway? People should be able to live with some people either liking something or otherwise. It doesn't take away from your own experience. It may be annoying, but whatever. Or are we all seeking validation through complete agreement? Anyway, my opinion has been stated. I'm leaving this thread. It's just a freaking movie. And I don't have to make my own movie in order to have a critical opinion about A MOVIE. And critical doesn't equal negative.
  12. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings..."

-Optimus Prime

So is freedom of speech. Thanks Optimus! Counldn't have said it better myself....

That's what I mean however, you've just called myself, Matt, Dale, Kevin, and anyone else who like the movie, idiots. Maybe not directly once again but we're in that category... Am I wrong? I think umbridge should be taken but then again that word annoys me, I call it an insult.

Hell I may just go tomorrow and see it again, and yeah I think we all know it's just a movie, but that was never the point. This is the point, call any of us idiots then expect a reaction. A NEGATIVE REACTION.
  13. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hmm, I wasn't thinking that when I wrote it. I didn't mean it was a fest for idiots.
  14. StarSmuggler Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think Skye is the one calling people idiots...

AWWW...I didin't know talking about movies online made life so tough for people...maybe we should dedicate a few threads to topics such as female genital mutilation, child prostition, world hunger...

I personally don't understand why negative reactions to this movie have ruffled so many dainty little feathers out there...I understand when, say, five year olds work themselves up into tissy fits over hearing people disagree with them...but I thought this club was 18+....unless things have changed in my absence??
  15. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4

First of all it's called sarcasm, and I see you're very adept at it Brit, although I'd call female genital mutilation and underage prostitution rather extreme... Overall however, I was making a point concerning the overly inflated use of critical language concerning a movie about cars that turn into robots. As for the idiot's remark... I'll copy it again:

However, I wouldn't say it's surrendering without argument though... I don't think anyone is surrendering just yet. ;) On a side note: I seriously doubt Erick was serious about banning movie topics here. Why? Because this WHOLE site is based off IS BASED OFF SIX PARTICULAR MOVIES (3 for the purests/OG folks). The point is this: the people who like the movie were insulted... Furthermore anyone else viewing this outside the club would see this club as a place where they can't like something mindless and fun without being classified as mindless themselves... although maybe your idea of fun is different... although I'll say it once again that female genital mutalation and underage prostitution is rather extreme but hey... whatever floats your boat I guess... OH WAIT sarcasm right? Silly me... I TOTALLY forgot.

Man... I wonder what's gonna happen after Harry Potter... lol

16. StarSmuggler Jedi Master

star 4
    As Skye referred to "idiot fests" and "audiences" separately, "idiot fests" seems to be in reference to films such as Transformers...
  17. skye_solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, I'm bad cop! I get it!

"Know your role!"

I can "bring it!"...and stuff... [face_dancing]

::salutes::

Aooooohhhhhh! (A Spartan was heard in the distance)
  18. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    So... am I to understand... that to hold an "idiot fest"... that it doesn't require the audience (i.e. people who went to go see the movie and liked it). Wow... that's a pretty sad fest if no one is showing up and liking it... Alas that is not the case, as Transformers is #1. So I think a couple people are AT LEAST going to these "idiot fest". Oh wait that makes them idiots. Right?

Hmmm.... something is not adding up here... If people are going to fests as describe, and in these fests the people become an audience of idiots... then aren't THE PEOPLE... idiots? So further more as Matt, Dale, Kevin, myself were apart of these people. Well geez louise... I think we were just called idiots... OH GREAT BASHERS! Please enable the help files further because I think the idiocity has kicked in here... You say we weren't called idiots and yet... there it is!

For bashers so flashy with decimating a mindless movie with open disgust and SAT vocab you guy sure have missed the hint that people would get insulted by being called idiots.
  19. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4

Funny... I've said nothing like that in any of this... interesting indeed.

I was insulted before, but now... it's beyond that Anne. Congrats, you've just lost a friend.
  20. StarSmuggler Jedi Master

star 4
    I was trying to point out that FGM and child prostiution are topics outside of the "Movie/Star Wars Fandom Wonderland" bubble that we could discuss and that I would completely understand emotional responses to such issues...not some ridiculous movie..for crying out loud...

I don't think posters on this board need a long-winded litany about the deep, dark, hateful souls of bashers and how a fim's hype or box office popularity makes it quality worth paying for...Snakes on a Plane...need I say more??? Some people enjoyed Transformers...other people thought it had all the entertainment value of a turd covered in flies...so what???

Sesame Street tries to teach children that it is ok to be different and have a different opinion...what is Elmo able to understand that posters around here aren't???
  21. StarSmuggler Jedi Master

star 4
    this is sooo unbelievably juvenile...maybe I am on the neopets fansite after all...better go feed my little Dragonbit before he gets his head lobbed off for hating Transformers!
  22. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4

Obviously the bold letters were missed denoting that I got your sarcasm in your previous remarks Brit...

I can see the failure here now... So dead set in criticism and bashing that they don't even realize they've insulted people. So wrapped up in their own "cafeully" worded turn of phases and saying it's "childish" when it's a serious issue that they don't even realize that people are being turned off from this club by their own essay-like attacking comments. Well... I don't see the point in lingering here anymore because situational awareness seems to be a lacking quality of a bashers. They don't seem to care about who's been insulted or the quality of the club as long as they can seek solice in the negative aspects of validating each other's criticism. Yeah, I can very much see why the bashers forums were deleted. Good...

Anne, you directly insulted me, the things that bring joy into my life, but most importantly my Rogues with that mock salute... The first two... I'm okay with because you don't have to like The Rock, 300, or even myself. I honestly, as of this moment don't care. But you insulted my Rogues, my best friends and the people I love most in this world. You have insulted their honor, along with my honor and the honor of every man and woman who has served under my Rogue Squadron's crest. Unforgivable...
  23. Rogue6 Force Ghost

star 2
    Here we go again............

Forum, IM, Email, Chat, online banter: the tone/meaning is often lost. Thus don't 'read' too much into words. Besides, some people get to take a long while to compose their thoughts and share them, while other times people are quickly reacting and reposting right away.

While it is nice to have a 'forum' for discussion, online forums provide a double edged sword.

I don't think anything 'said' online, should be taken entirely seriously. If it is, maybe it's better to nip the issue in the bud and talk to the person, rather than air out the 'nastiness' in public.

my 2 cents -

Optimus_Prime_
  24. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
  25. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe so Six but the issue has gotten bigger than that. When it comes to throwing out cleverly worded comments and both parties know it's playing around then that's one thing. When someone insults someone's honor, character, intelligence and friends knowing full well what context the language is intended for then that's another story all together. I think I've played fair and brought up serious and valid points but what did I hear in return? "Just bring it..." and a whole lot of other mocking tones my character, the things I like most in this world, and an mocking gesture to my Rogues to boot.

Out of all the people here, out of all the millions of civilized things someone could have said to justify their position, you DO NOT want to say "just bring it" to of all people ME because I will do just that and I will JUST BRING IT. So yeah if they really want to go there then let me paraphase a quote from 300 since we're so keen on quoting thing: I choose my words carefully, perhaps they should have done the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.