main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Dobrolous, Jan 12, 2016.

1. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    true facts

2. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    and... what exactly your problem with that?

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I know they're probably calling it a unicorn to indicate that everyone has their own unique coordinates on these axes, but it's an unfortunate name given what unicorn means in the polyamory community (which is definitely part of the plus in LGBTQ+). Lol.

hudzu likes this.
  4. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    originally it was a genderbread but that got approbiated by some cis man for his book...

5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

6. LambdaChop

Jan 12, 2016
    literally everything tbh. it's like someone saw the old genderbread man infographic and was like, "yknow what, this isn't nearly insipid and confusing enough, let's make something even worse!". it's like an asexual space alien whose knowledge of the earth-people was purely hypothetical decided to have a go at explaining "human gender". it's like whoever made it is trying to confuse the crap out of normal people and not be taken at all seriously. i mean... a ****ing unicorn lmao (which tbh i have no idea what it means to poly people, i'm just offended at the sheer lameness)

most of all though is it's twee snowflakey overcomplicated queer nonsense being disseminated by self-appointed activists to explain transsexual kids. which is like... not even a difficult concept to get across and certainly doesn't need chart that has like fifteen different ****ing sliders and reads like a character sheet for a tumblr rpg.

harpua and Point Given like this.
  7. johnodd4

johnodd4 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2016
    Honestly The discrimination just needs to stop period.

See my main issue has always been people butting in where they should honestly shut the heck up. See i don't expect people to understand me being gay and nor should i have to explain myself to anyone i am me happy and glad and thrilled to be me and for the first time this year i haven't had to hide it because of great friends and family who truly see me for me.

Thats the way it should be for everyone.

and it honestly should change for the better i hated the bathroom debate here is why...

And people should do there research before talking out of ones own behind.

Research:

1. you will find most trans people associate with the sex they are becoming not with the sex they currently are society see's it as the sex they where born with which is wrong and messes up the whole issue so for example people think your male transistioning to female so you should use the mens restroom due to the sex you where born with versus what you are transitioning to.

2. People are worried about there safety in a public restroom.

Honestly a recent study found most people that where straight and walked into a public restroom found more going on the restroom between 2 guys versus transgendered individual's.

The government says its a risk to our citizens but there is a higher risk of sexual assault in a public restroom from a same sex issue then transgendered individuals

there is a lot of miss information.

what shocked me is where i live at i walked into a fred meyer one day and had to use the facilities and walked into two guys that couldn't wait for a hotel room.

and they thing transgendered people are bad what if a child walked in on it in a public restroom no doubt.

so honestly i look at it this way if you are attracted to men and happen to be transitioning from male to female and are attracted to guys then why not let people use the bathroom in peace and quite.

and who cares if you don't like it then a old saying comes to mind.

"stand tall and proud and if people make fun thats what rainbow colored middle fingers are for"

8. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Great research john

9. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    who says it is for kids? It perfect to show on a spectrum where you would put your gender and sexuality. I myself am nonbinary,-neutrois. and identity is only at the top, and the only difference is that it is a spectrum and not too binary crossing boxes on each chart(or moreas for sexuality) It takes absolutely nothing away from whatever you are. I also saw other nice charts whic were literally a spectrum whch included the stregths of one gender(like apathetic about, feeling very strongly about- male female spectrum plus agender..) and no it is not just for kids or "special snowflakes(who by the way don't take anything away from you)

10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Aren't nonbinary and genderqueer the same thing?

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For this general topic, it's like an infinite rainbow of possible labels. I don't think anyone can keep track of it all by this point.

13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Soooo...the answer is no?

Just to clarify why I was asking, I read this sentence regarding the two terms.

Genderqueer (GQ), also termed non-binary or gender-expansive, is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine‍—‌identities which are thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity

14. a star war

May 4, 2016
  15. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Talos, as admirable as it is that you are making the bare minimum attempt to educate yourself, right now would be a good time to learn that googling something and reading one definition does not equal mastery, or even basic understanding in some cases.

CT-867-5309 and harpua like this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

I'm amused by the fact that you are utterly incapable of telling the difference between a person making an honest inquiry into something and and a person claiming mastery over something. If I was insinuating that I was a master because of reading one definition, I wouldn't have framed my first post in the form of a question.

EDIT: Also, the definition is what made me ask. Not what "convinced me that I was a master".

17. LambdaChop

Jan 12, 2016
    Talos156 - in my experience "genderqueer" is typically a modifier for a binary identity ("a genderqueer woman"; compare butch, femme, etc) whereas "nonbinary" is an identity in itself ("a nonbinary person"; "such and such is a nonbinary identity"). i have seen them used interchangeably in either of these senses but i think mostly that's how they differ.

I mean the article was about how this chart is being used to explain gender to the faculty and staff of this school district and presumably will be presented in some fashion to the kids they teach, so...

the thing is this model doesn't make any sense to me. These things aren't spectrums. Or, I mean, I guess if you really wanted to think of it that way "gender expression" could be conceived of as a spectrum but like, why? why label yourself as +2 masculine, +6 feminine and +0 other? who cares? why not just, like, do your thing? if it's relevant in a descriptive sense, i mean, what's wrong with butch or femme or whatever, terms gay and GNC people have used for like, a century? and what even is "other"? how on earth do you have a gender presentation outside the bounds of masculine or feminine-- i.e., things stereotypically associated with either the only two sexes humans come in?

ok but what does ~identity~ mean? i mean, fine, i guess i can say "my gender identity is female" as a shorthand to explain why i take a cross-hormone regimen that flipped all my secondary sex characteristics from male to female and am in the process of switching the sex on legal documents & such (i don't, because i feel like it's a clunky and misleading way of putting it, but i mean as a model it's not terrible), but like, if your "gender identity" is not a thing that has a material impact on the way you interact with the world... what does it mean?

it absolutely does take away from us. Like in this specific instance we have people using this godawful chart to explain their transgender policy, when the chart itself has like, ****-all to do with explaining transition and is like embarrassingly childish and opaque besides. So you're trying to address a potentially important issue-- what happens if a kid in our school district transitions sex?-- by using this dopey queer unicorn chart that's just gonna leave people being like "whaa?"

Talos156 and Point Given like this.
  18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, my first reaction to the chart is that it was pretty silly.

19. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    I think If is started calling myself butch then I would need to identify as a lesbian, I dont think I could use "butch" without being lesbian. (I take T to make my appearance more neutral too(oh and besides it it seems to make my mental health better too..) If it is an issue with nonbinary or similar do you know micahs blog? https://neutrois.me/ ? Otherwise I don't really understand your issues either way.

20. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    you can label yourself whatever you damn well please. i totally get how avoiding strict labels can quell the inner doubts and insecurities (and what a bitch they can be), making the whole thing easier to bear. but if you wanna be butch, be butch. lesbian, straight, one of those people that are only attracted to dragons ****ing cars, it doesn't matter. be whoever you want to be. screw labels.

harpua and DarthTunick like this.
  21. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    what in the hell is this
    http://www.dailydot.com/irl/reassignment-film-michelle-rodriguez-forced-gender-surgery/

you know we've hit the point of cultural acceptance when we're thoughtlessly making faceoff/machete style revenge films with absolutely no cultural sensitivity (and this after walter hill broke ground with his dynamic representation of cultural minorities in The Warriors)

harpua and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011

I swear this is a plot of the Punisher.

23. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    according to the internet, it was Ennis' "Welcome Back, Frank," with a trans russian assassin

admittedly i was hoping for the punisher himself going through some sort of hoky transition, because there would be so much inherent cultural commentary/analysis in something like that

24. a star war

May 4, 2016
    LADY PUNISHER

25. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Punishette

harpua likes this.