main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transition From Summer to Winter

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So the nights are getting colder (and longer). Last night I took the first step in the transition from summer to winter - I turned on the storage heater. The next step will probably be putting the flannel sheets on the bed, or getting the portable heater out of the storage area under the stairs.

What have you done so far?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    We've started putting our heating on several times a day. Not looking forward to the bills!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I hear that. My place is all-electric and when I get the portable heater going I can just imagine the meter spinning.

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Here, in Leeds, the transition all took place in one week, it seemed. I can't feel my toes

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The weather report used the S-word today (snow). Apparently the wind is supposed to kick around to come from the north on Tuesday and there is a chance of 'it'. I think it's mostly up north - not in the London area.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Bitterly cold outside in Lincoln today. Very frosty. Although will hopefully be a nice starry night tonight :)

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's not too bad here. It was a bit chilly when I went for the papers around 8:30 am but there wasn't any frost. The cars were wet (dew or overnight rain - not sure which) but no scraping needed. Right now it's partly cloudy with a bit of a breeze. Temps are supposed to be around 14C during the day but tonight is supposed to be cold.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Since we've had double-glazing put in at the front of the house and new attic insulation this year, the house is warmer and holds heat longer. We have a gas heater in the living room so we can use that instead of central heating at times.

Still, much easier to sleep at night now.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I was actually able to sit out in the sun for a bit around noontime to read the Mail on Sunday. Unfortunately that didn't last long as it was too chilly when the clouds came. (Note - this was in a sweatshirt and sweatpants, not a t-shirt and shorts!)
    I just went out to dump the recycling bag and it was getting cold out since the sun was setting. It looks like it might be clear here as well, though there is still a bit of cloud around.

On the glazing - my place was single-glazed when I moved in and the wood windows had seen better days. The kitchen window was rotten in places on the bottom as well. I spent two winters freezing and mopping up condensation before getting double-glazing. It does make a difference! I also had the front door replaced a few years later as it was wood, old, and very drafty.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Front door here is quite drafty, just had it painted and a new letterbox put on which doesn't fit quite as well as the old one. Plus the rubber seal stuff around the inside of the doorframe got taken off in order to paint it, so that will now let air in too.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hopefully you can get sealant put back on it before it gets really cold. My old door was so bad you could feel the wind in the hall when the wind blew from the north. Plus it would warp so in summer it stuck and in winter is when it shrank and got drafty. I was happy when I was able to replace it. My upstairs neighbor still has his (which is the original door on the flat - from the late '70s) and he wants to get his done as well.

12. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I miss having double-glazing now. My flat is pretty cold this time of year, but thankfully the heating is working quite well.

I suppose to me the transition is mostly marked by putting away the summer clothing and bringing out the lambswool sweaters and other winter items.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    People were scraping car windscreens in my neighborhood this morning. Didn't see any frost on the lawn though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.