main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Transporting costumes and props

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by RogueRebel, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm not sure why this is unlocked now, but I just have to say something about weight.

Gone forever are the days when you could cram all kinds of crap into your luggage. First the airlines tacked on a rigid 50 lbs per bag limit and now they just charge extra. Bummer. And BTW, you're limited to 50 lbs per checked bag for taking a bus, too, now.

So, when making your weapons, think seriously about weight. A solid resin blaster is heavier than you think. Go for hollow weapons whenever you can.

2. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    I think this got unlocked because of yours truly here.
    I'm hoping to go to San Francisco this halloween and am looking to transport a couple of costumes.

Alot of people have mentioned shipping my stuff to the hotel I'm staying at. How does that work? The problem with me is I am Canadian. When shipping some of my personal property across the border, would customs at either end try to do something stupid like charge me duty fees for transporting my own personal property?

Would something like Magneto's helmet be allowed as a carry-on, or would I be better off checking or shipping it?

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I had somewhat of a problem carrying my TIE armor as carry-on. I forgot to take out the battery that powere the lights on my chest box, and it looked suspiciously like an explosive device. They told me that if I removed the battery, it would just show up as a black non-threatening rectangle. [face_blush]

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    *Gasp!* Bite your tongue! Don't ever say that! :D

I'd recommend carrying a helmet on with you - would it go in a backpack, protected/packed around with some clothing? Obviously that's cheaper than shipping it, and it's in your hot little hands the whole way. If you were to ship it, send it overnight despite the cost, then you always know exactly where it is along the way. As for customs - when shipping, you fill in the Customs Declaration form describing the contents and their value. For a helmet, I'd put "used handmade costume helmet". Same for the way back. If you're carrying it on, I don't think it would look suspicious on the xray, and if it does, I'm sure you'll be waved through once they actually have a look at it.

I personally had a problem with Canada Customs on the way back into Canada once a couple of years ago, with a resin Princess Leia blaster (which I had in my carry-on). Despite the fact that it was totally resin and one solid piece and couldn't possibly be used as a weapon (except as a club, but uh, it doesn't weigh much), they "needed to check if it was allowed to bring such an item into the country". :rolleyes: It went through the USA screening just fine a few hours earlier!

5. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Why not just have it as checked luggage?
    I've been transporting heavy armor and props for years, and have found that cheap footlockers from K-Mart work perfectly. They're durable enough to survive the baggage handlers, and by themselves, weigh maybe 15-lbs. Fairly inexpensive, too.

Of course, I've never had to travel over the border.....

6. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    I'm also worried about my lightsaber hilts- checked bag or carry-on? Batteries in or out?
    I don't want the TSA freaking out over the things.

7. Furiafelina

Furiafelina Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2008
    :oops: bummer!!

Can't you go and ask them at the border prior to travel?

Man! I'm planning to travel for the next Celebration, it will be my first, if this is how it is... #$%@!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.