main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Transsexual/Transgender: The Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Asking questions about your treatment of other users isn't cyber-stalking. I certainly have no desire to stalk you or dig up information about you or your past. All I wanted to know is why you treated another trans user badly. If you can't handle that, then I will leave the thread, but don't pretend that I'm acting malicious or unfair towards you because there is nothing further from the truth.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Mate honestly? Nobody gives a **** about your past. You are the one haunted by it.

This place can be brutal, but if you take the time to be part of the community they will one hundred percent have your back.

Your posts are basically:

* You went to a university in Texas that has professors you namedrop (and Mrs Fitzgerald)
    * Here's anecdotes about said university
    * Here's anecdotes about Hooters girls
    * Here's anecdotes about your girlfriend
    * Here's you making a snap judgement, and
    * Here's you melting the **** down over being told you're wrong.

Nobody cares about your anecdotes and your past because you use them as crutches and shields. We're actually pretty indifferent to whatever people have done outside of this place, in that whatever baggage you - and we all - are carrying doesn't get you judged here unless you put it out there in a confrontational and antagonistic method. You basically invite people to dislike you by being inherently unlikeable for no reason. Don't?

So, yeah. Stop namedropping your university, your professors, all of it and try having opinions that define who, not what you are. Your time here will be a lot better and you might find that peace that seems to elude you in real life.

The above post will not be brought to you because of the ignore feature.

anakinfansince1983 and hudzu like this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

Happy to help

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Fanks bruv [face_love]

Seriously though, literally nobody here has been "ew, trans." Anyone who has would probably be psychologically tormented and driven away by the wider JC. So looking at the entire forum as a manifestation of Zola's "J'accuse!" letter is a projection of insecurities, not a reflection of reality and so long as that disconnect exists Satele is going to alienate and feel alienated. It's a wholly unfair proposition for both the wider JC and Satele.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    You are wrong, Point Given. My humanity does matter. So does every single human being on this planet. You defended a bully attacking me, and I actually admitted a mistake, something that you haven't done. I do hope you have a nice life.

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I think that cross-dressing is an art that anyone can do. I'm not an expert. I do know that drag queens are not necessarily transgender individuals.

I haven't seen Rocky Horror since 2003. I prefer not to watch it because my second girlfriend who raped me liked Rocky Horror. Sorry. Are you talking about the old time Rocky Horror? If Cox is in it, I assume you mean something new.

7. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Right, but experts aren't a monolith and Izzard clearly blurs the line between those in his personal identity. It's just kind of silly to come into a thread about trans issues and, with your first post, pick a public figure no one else had been talking about and misgender him.

I assumed when I saw the news she had been cast that they were genderbending the character - just making Frank N Furter a woman. I am also making an assumption (which could be incorrect) that Laverne Cox wouldn't have taken the role if she had concerns about the gender presentation in the script or whatever treatment she had seen so far. I know trans actresses generally get put in difficult positions of being offered demeaning or problematic roles and having to make difficult decisions in accepting these roles, but I think Laverne Cox is in a position (both financially and as a well-known actress & activist) to turn down a role if she thought it was going to portray her gender in a harmful way.

Also the way dp4m originally stated it "someone brought up a good point today that it may be offensive to actual trans people " is classic concern troll language. If an actual trans person has concerns about it, I'd rather listen to that.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    ....so you have fatburt on block too or what?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I think it was a trans person, but your point is noted. I just generally trust the people here more than Rando io9 Commenter #23, which is why I asked. :p

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    PG never admits mistakes with me either.

All I want is "sorry Ender, I was wrong to ban you for those times you clearly broke the rules".

Do I get them?

No.

dp4m likes this.
  11. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    we need to talk about this. am I being mocked by restaurant staff all the time?

12. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    Hi, shall we please stop the way this is going and actually discuss trans issues?

This is making me uncomfortable...

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay, first thing first: do not threaten the moderating team, especially if they are just doing their job. Who the hell do you think you are? And what the hell do you think this is? This counts for strikes one and two.

Second, and this goes for everyone: this is a really worthwhile thread, and I'd really hate to have to lock it because it becomes a clash of egos and personal issues.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  15. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    God yes. In our open kitchen, it can be a dead Tuesday afternoon or a 50 minute wait list Saturday night... Either way, we're busy making fun of crappy celebrity dopplegangers, gaudy bitches, loud bitches, kids who sit there doing weird things, people of all different nationalities, fat people, anorexic people, people on awkward dates and even servers. Especially servers.

It's basically the Cards Against Humanity version of Guess Who?

But in my experience, the servers are usually too busy complaining about tips/sidework/getting written up to join in on this.

I honestly sometimes I feel like I get paid to make fun of people.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I love David's orangey modness.

So seriously question:

Jezebel devoted a few hundred words to proving that they don't care about Ricky Gervais' Caitlyn Jenner jokes.

http://jezebel.com/ricky-gervais-loves-that-youre-offended-by-his-trans-jo-1752450014

Is this actually an issue though? Like, to me, it's just Gervais winding notoriously uptight celebrities up by taking the piss in the time honoured British tradition.

However, given that a large sector of our output these days is manufacturing brief outrage, I find I'm actually unable to get a sense of whether we have a real problem or just people finding something to hang their offended-weather coats on for a few hours.

halp?

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It's whatever at this point. I moved on.

18. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Satele it is not your prerogative to move on when you are the one who has hurt other people. You don't get to attack and dehumanize people and then say "I've moved on." because the people you have harmed probably have not moved on.

To me, the joke was more a low-hanging cheap shot at women drivers than it was about her being trans. Gervais specializes more in low-hanging cheap shots than he does in time-honoured taking the piss. I always found his standup (not necessarily his show-writing) to be way far down the less clever end of British comedians.

Darth Guy, solojones, Zapdos and 2 others like this.
  19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    you can't see content from an ignored user even if that user is being quoted. It just won't show up in the unignored users post. For example, to me, it looks like dani is talking to herself.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jezebel writers tend to get offended by everything- I wouldn't take them seriously ever. That said, Ricky's equal-opportunistic with his insults. No one is safe, and everyone will get offended anyway. That's his schtick, and by god we love him for it. It's not even a British thing- it's a Ricky thing.

With Jenner there tend to be so many comments about her because there's still a relative minority of major trans celebrities. I imagine as more trans actors/celebs whatever become prominent those types of comments will diminish in frequency.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    All of you guys are over-analyzing this. Trip called me insane for talking about social constructions. If I genuinely hurt someone, I am sorry. Notice how I'm the only person who ever apologizes for anything. No one ever apologizes to me.

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I am not a Jezebel writer!

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's basically what I thought; as I said, they spent a bit of time convincing us (or, themselves) they didn't care which is adorable but obviously not the case.

EDIT: lol, Todd. The ignore feature is so unintentionally fun as well as a crutch!

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Satele, I'm sorry.

Boba Nekhbet, Zapdos and Ender Sai like this.
  25. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Actually, the only person I want to apologize to is Dobrolous, who has been sincerely pleading with us not to just be dicks, because they have things to figure out/share. I feel pretty bad that I've taken part in some general ****ery that's incidentally hurt someone who may need some help (and i'm not just saying thos to keep being troll-y, i do feel bad). I'm willing to not keep pushing buttons if it means we're going to have an actually productive discussion instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.