main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Travel Question

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by PtrsonsZOO, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I have just about committed myself (no, not to there) to coming to Phoenix. I've got some time between semesters and after my latest tour of the armpits of the country, I should have enough frequent flyer miles to pull it off.

So, my question is, is there going to be anyone around for New Years?

2. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    We throw a party here in San Diego, however I would love to go out to PHX and patry there. Depending on my vacation hours and the goings on I just may do it... :D

I would love to come up your way sometime though too. I have only ever driven through Denver and I love the mountains.

3. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Hey Girls!! I'll be around and I'm sure most of the PFF will too! I would love to party with the both of ya!! [face_devil]

4. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I will be!!

5. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Oh, boy!! A visit from Zoo! Very :cool:

6. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    My wife will be working in San Diego on NY eve & day so I will probably be here alone. :(

7. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Yet another reason to make the trip. Now the real question will be, what kind of year end bonus do I get? If I get a good one I might stick around for a few days!

Any ideas on what to do for 5 days in Phoenix? How far is Grand Canyon from there? (I've never been)

8. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    My job cleared my working schedule for me for that week! :(

PARTY! :D

9. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    The canyon takes around 3 hours to get there from here. I'm not sure about what else is going on, Sistine and I usually try and coordinate our New Years plans

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Husband and I are in town for New Years. :D We planned it that way on purpose this year.

11. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    after my latest tour of the armpits of the country...

You went to San Bernidino? :p

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    NO even better, Fort Dodge, IA; Enid, OK; Willmar, MN and Sterling, IL.

Oh, yeah and Grand Island, NE (we just went under contract to buy the mall there)

EDIT:I'm also going to Madison, WI and Coos Bay, OR, but those are nice places to visit.

13. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, barring any heretofore unforeseen circumstances (oops sorry, I've been reading leases all day [face_blush] ) What I mean is, that unles something else comes up, I think you can pretty much plan on me being out there for New Years. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

14. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    YIPPEE!!! Can't wait to meet you in person I hope! Now the fun part will be you, me and Sistine chasing all the PFF men around at midnight for New Years kisses! [face_devil]

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Could be a very interesting evening. . . especially for me, since in RL I don't drink anymore. Sober people have much more fun at these kinds of events, because we can remember not only what we did, but what everyone else did as well.

"Hey, do you remember that time you flashed the Mounted Cop? Oh, wait you were pretty wasted that night. How was that BC Search, anyway?"

16. Commander_Choad

Commander_Choad Jedi Master star 4

Sep 11, 2002
    Pterson'szoo sez "Hey, do you remember that time you flashed the Mounted Cop? Oh, wait you were pretty wasted that night. How was that BC Search, anyway?"

And I sez "HEY!!!!!!!!!!! Void said he wouldn't tell that particular secret o' mine...." (or something)

17. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] I know what you mean Zoo!! I use my knowledge of New Year's events as blackmail for the rest of the year!! Pays to be sober around drunks sometimes!!! [face_laugh]

18. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

19. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    Personal Note:

Remember to keep an eye on Duron at the New Year's Party... [face_devil]

20. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    So, what is there to do out there? I've never been to Arizona. Well, that's not true, I have been to a reservation near the 4 Corners area, but that was more than 15 years ago.

21. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Well, it's hot here...

22. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I figured that part out. :p

23. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    We like to tip cows and swim in the quarry. ;)

24. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Okay.....There is the Grand Canyon to see, I'd advise against that in the winter time, the trails are ice covered...so hiking is right out :) (Funny story there about how my friend tried to kill me there)

If you have any interest in the field, there is meteor crater. 1st confirmed metor site on the planet. There's a neat sim that you can program the mass and velocity of a meteor, asteroid, or comet and have it crash into the earth and see what happens. We found one configuration that turned the planet into Alderaan.

Sedona is nice on the drive back from the canyon or crater, there's alot to do there that I can't remember right now but we can look it up. But I beleive Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon there is about the most beautiful area in Arizona

You seem to have an interest in aerospace ? There's the Pima Air Museum out in Tucson. A series of in and outdoor static displays of all sorts of aircraft, though mostly military, form WWI on up. It's big enough to take up a day on that itself. Including a SR-71 Blackbird along with a D-21 drone they tested with them.

Under the same association as Pima is the Titan Missle museum. The last Titan missile silo in the country decommissioned for tourists, awesome tour and experience. Sistine and I were there when the power went out :D The tour guide also sat me at the commanders chair and her at the exec's chair...with a nice shiny key in front of each of us.

Finally in Tucson is the Davis-Monthan AFB and the A-Marc...the Air Force's storage yard. They used to give tours of that, I think they're doing that now again, but we'd have to check.

There's hiking in phoenix without ice on the trails. I know one place that offers horseback rides through South Mountain to a great steak house and then ride back that night. There's shooting to do, our San Diego and LA friends are only 6 hours away, camping, and whatever else you can probably come up with.

25. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    There's cow tipping in Colorado.

EDIT:Wow, thanks Void! Actually, hiking is not really an issue for me (since I only have 1 real knee - the other is held together w/ chewing gum & bailing wire). I'll have to do some looking around. Shooting sounds like fun though, I haven't done a whole lot of that in recent years (since I haven't gone hunting in years because of my flippin' knee).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.