main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Travel Stop for Family, Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarkLordSid, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm looking for some info on places to stay in July for family.

Me mum is coming up with my niece for a visit and they want to stay in The City in mid July during the week (Tues-Thur, maybe Frida). Mom's retired so she doesn't have a ton of cash, but would like to stay someplace nice not far from the muni/cable car lines. Years ago I remembered staying at a little B&B somewhere near the cable cars, but I can't place where.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated, including not only accommodations but moderate prices dining nearby as well. I know all the attractions to see, but I've not stayed overnight since the "Man in the Mask" show about a decade or more ago. And since you folks are the locals, figured I'd check to see if you had any ideas.

I know it's a little nuts making plans less than a month out in the summer there, but it's her last minute graduation present for my niece. Mom's taking her on a grand tour of the west (after the City they are coming south to spend some time with us, then off to Monterey, then over to Vegas to see my great aunt).

I've suggested they get a City Pass which gives them five attractions and unlimited muni/cable car use for their stay for $49 each. My niece has never seen the ocean or the state at all, she's also coming out to check out the art college, she's got an art scholarship and they are putting the hard press on her to sign up. I'm going to meet with them on Friday and drive them around to what they can't get to without a car.

Thanks in advance for any advice, if you have specific insider info (don't want to broadcast your best tips, heh) feel free to PM me too.

2. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    there is the phoenix hotel, very rock and roll and eclectic, very sf. they have a neat pool and free breakfast by the pool in the morning. it is affordable but located next to the tenderloin but so long as they dont stroll that way they should be fine.

there is a really good and really affordable vietnamese restaurant across the street called "mangosteen" after the exotic fruit, and the color theme inside is just like the fruit.

from there, they can take a short stroll to the civic center, asian art museum, and to market where they can catch a ride. it is also a short stroll to van ness where there's loads of places to eat.

hope that helps!

3. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Thanks, but she does like to walk about a bit, think I'll have to find her someplace a bit safer. Still, thanks for the suggestion!

4. elmoizme

elmoizme Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    How much is she willing to spend? Chain/Brand Hotels in SF are $$$$$ Most places in Union Square and the Wharf are $150 and up a night. Most bigger Hotels are in the $200 and up range. You can find some privately owned places for under $100 a night. Those are rare. Otherwise, staying outside of the city will be the cheapest. You try searching Hotels.com? They're showing the Best Western for about $113 a night down at the wharf. And it's about a 15-20 minute ride to downtown on the cable car

5. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm not sure what her budget is either, but under $150 is probably a good bet, and I'll have her check out the site and Best Western too.

Thanks again very much!

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I just finally got my mom and my niece back on their way this morning after a showing them San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Jose over the weekend.

Both had a great time and my Niece is just in awe of the area; she?s strongly thinking about taking advantage of her art scholarship and moving out here.

We even got to see the Letterman entrance briefly, I accidentally drove in the employee exit and in the process of getting turned around by the kindly parking guard got to see the fountain for the first time.

Sometime I'll have to come up for one of your meetings, if that would be okay, good way to see all you folks again and get a group shot next to the little green guy.

And despite the homeless, the housing problems, the traffic, the congestion, the taxes, etc. you folks will always have a beautiful city to call home, and for that I envy you. Well, maybe I don't envy the traffic, but there sure is a lot to see and love there, from the museums, the bridges, GG park, the ocean and the bay, and all the rest.

In any case, thanks once again.

7. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    sure thing, so glad your family had a lovely time. i just moved here a little over a month ago from the peninsula and there is sooo much to do and see. i love SF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.