main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Trbute thread] Cat Companion: We had 18 great years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valairy Scot, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In the midst of the terrible tragedies facing so many, not just Sandy, which is but the most recent, there are also personal tragedies that hit closer to home.

18 years ago, the day before Thanksgiving, I brought home Sam, a medium-long haired part Siamese . We both were nervous, I think: we simultaneously headed to our respective litter boxes and stared at each other. :) Well, if you're going to bond, that's as good a way as any.

Sam wasn't a lap sitter, he could be an aggressive boy, but he was also the most affectionate cat I've had the pleasure of sharing my life with. He was always talking to me about whatever he thought I should be doing for him - or not, as it may sometimes be. Not quite two years ago he was diagnosed with kidney failure - 10% function. He did well on a prescription diet.

He started to feel a bit bloated a couple of weeks ago: vet had him on antibiotics which seemed to help. Kidneys were no worse; white blood cell count was quite high with no clear reason why. Then he faltered; we started a second round of antibiotics and tried upping his laxatives (possible constipation issues). Late the day before he died, his rear legs were too weak to support him which is a possible side effect of cat constipation and the pumpkin was supposed to take about 48 hours to act. My plan was to take him to the vet the day after if he had no relief.

Being unemployed, we cuddled most of the day (he was too weak to protest). He died that evening.

I occupied myself with "doing" - washing kitty beds, throwing out litter, returning cat food. Right now there is little visible sign of his presence in my condo but he is present in memories and photos. In his honor, in tribute, I will eventually adopt another cat when the right one chooses me.

This is Sam at various times in his life. RIP, Sammy boy, you may have earned the nickname "Monster Cat" in your youth, but the great times far outnumbered the others. @};-

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sleep well, my O:)[face_devil] and say "hi" to "Daffy" for me. Thanks, my big boy, for those wonderful 18 years of love and the occasional nips. [face_love]

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    @};- My condolences on your loss.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    :(

rip sam.

4. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Oh, what a cutie. Sending you lots of [:D] because I know how ridiculously, unexpectedly hard it is to lose a pet. :( I lost my cat last year, and I still miss him.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That's a lovely long time to remember.

RIP Sam

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm really sorry. I'm a cat person and know how upsetting this can be.

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, losing a cat you grow close to is like losing a family member.

8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm really sorry. He was adorable!

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Ok this made me teary eyed, what a wonderful eulogy. My condolences and may Sam R.I.P.

10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    One of my greatest fears is going to my parents' house some day to find that one of my cats has died and is no longer there, so I know how hard it is to go through this. Just be glad you had so many great years with him. My sincerest condolences.[:D]

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sam seems like he was a great cat and friend. I can tell you really loved each other a lot. We just got a Maine Coon kitten recently, after our previous cat passed away about 2 years ago.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  14. junior senator

junior senator Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 1998
    I am so sorry. RIP Sam. :(

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Thank you everyone. As pet people know, a pet is a member of your family as much as any human. I knew Sam would tell me to remember how we were able to share his last days and he would want me to move on...so with heavy heart and yet a bit of hope, I decided to look at cats and see if I was ready.

(As yet unnamed) became my newest family member late today: she's 1-1/2, affectionate and inquisitive. She's napped on me after a few hours of exploration and has a soft meow and gentle paws. I'm going to start a "come up with names for her" thread separately.

Just as blue-eyed as Sam, it's nearly impossible NOT to get a red-eyed cat in photos.

[​IMG][​IMG]

She's only 7 pounds with the silkiest, softest short fur.

MrZAP and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Erm wow you moved on fast...

MrZAP likes this.
  19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I made my peace with Sam's ill health during the last few months. Please don't think this means I am forgetting Sam or not mourning him. I mourn him with every bone in my body, but mourning won't bring him back.

Sharing my heart with another (homeless) cat who chose me honors what I shared with Sam. I would not have taken "just any cat" only the one who was meant for me and vice versa.

Hearts are large enough to mourn and celebrate both.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I have that philosophy with romantic relationships.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you have a thing for homeless guys?

22. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Just found this too...loved all the pics of Sam...he was a beauty! And you already have my posts on the other board about your new cat...who is also a beauty.

23. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
  24. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful cat.

Wish you many years of happiness with your new kitty.

25. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    It is possible to color correct red eye you know. It's a pretty easy process.:p

Glad to see you're doing well, and I hope and trust that this new cat will be a great friend for years to come.