Trek Exhibit planning thread

Discussion in 'Louisville, KY' started by jedimika, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Just thought I would start a thread to plan our outing to the Trek Exhibit once it opens. We might want to let the crowds (?) die down a little first but I just thought I would make you all aware of some additional items.

Some of you met Jason/Darth Shrek/RebelHawk at the diabetes walk at Churchill Downs last year (he was the Anakin Vader).He?s also a Trek fan and will be doing some volunteer work for the museum with the exhibit and organizing other Trek fans. He let me know that if anyone was interested in helping out I could give them his contact info. You would have to go through a museum volunteer orientation. He also pointed out that in addition to the big premiere party on January 22nd that there is an IMAX film Quantum Quest playing in conjunction with exhibit. This animated film stars many celebrity voice talents that we may be familiar with including Mark Hamill, Samuel L Jackson, Hayden Christensen and James Earl Jones.

So if anyone is interested in volunteering let me know and I?ll put you in touch with Jason. If anyone has any ideas or preferences for when we attend post up. It?s also possible there will be future ?special events? during the run of the exhibit we may want to attend and Jason has promised to let us know of any developments. We probably won?t be able to find a day we all can go together but we may find one that works for the majority.

The Exhibit (runs Jan 23-May 22) http://www.louisvillescience.org/site/exhibits-temporary/star-trek-the-exhibition.html

Premiere Night (Jan 22)(Must be 21 or over to attend) http://www.louisvillescience.org/site/events-article/science-with-a-twist.html

Quantum Quest http://www.qqthemovie.com/#/home

2. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    I think this would make for a great outing. Thanks Mika!
  3. Kepare Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, the official open date it the 23. Best. Birthday. Ever.
  4. LordZannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Premier party on the 22nd?? That sounds like it would be fun to go to! But I don't think we'll be there for that. To get in earlier than 9:00pm. is 100.00 and over. [face_thinking] If it was Star Wars... would highly consider that amount..... But if we as a group decide to go to the museum on another day as well, as for what day the gang decides is good for us. [face_batting]
  5. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    For 100 bucks, I better get my own holodeck.

6. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Was at my comic store today (Comic Book World) and they have a box for a monthly drawing for free tickets to the exhibit. Hope the upcoming snow doesn't mess with their Friday night shindig too much.
  7. 11-11 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    So when is everybody going? I want to come too!
  8. Kepare Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm in Indiana this weekend, since Saturday is my mother's b-day and Sunday is mine, but I aim to attend next weekend.
  9. LordZannah Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm thinking towards the spring when it warms up some. Maybe we can do the exhibit, combining a dinner out that same evening? Thoughts? [face_thinking]
  10. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Yeah, like I said in the first post we'll probably never wrangle all of us into the same weekend. I'm for letting the weather warm up a little so I don't have to lug a coat around the museum unless they have a coat check? Kepare since you're going early can you be our scout (or Red Shirt if we're going with Trek venacular)? See if they have a coat check and see what restuarants are in *easy* walking distance? And any other intel you can supply like if it's even worth the price of admission?

11. Kepare Jedi Knight

star 1
    Roger wilco. I'll see about getting some pictures of the area, too. Depending on how far away it is and prevailing weather conditions I may not be so reliable on parking, since I might just walk, but otherwise I can report back.
  12. Relin Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    If you're wearing a Red Shirt, Do Not...I repeat...Do Not go down with the landing party. I got a bad feeling about this.
  13. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    And for the love of the Prime Directive stay away from big Styrofoam boulders!

Jammies
    \saw a blurb on the news.. they have models. I'll be there; but it is Trek, so I am not in a big hurry.
  14. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3
    They did have a place to put your coats the last time I was there. Not really a coat check per say, but you can hang it up so you won't need to carry it all over the museum with you.
  15. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Someone mentioned on another forum that photography of the exhibit wasn't allowed and sure enough when you look at the fine print on the web site "Please note: Photos are not allowed to be taken inside the exhibition. Photo opportunities will be available for a fee." That's about a deal breaker for me. They also said that the props and costumes weren't screen used, just reproductions but I can't find anything confirming that.

16. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3
    Wow...no photos for free? That is a deal breaker for me! I don't think I'll do this. Someone has given way too much credit to Trek to be charging for pictures. Especially for items that had no screen time...lol!
  17. LordZannah Jedi Master

star 2
    And to think that I thought it was a sad day when movie cronies made fans purchase signatures. Star Wars is by far a much more worthy saga, and we were not charged for pics at the Childrens Museum two years ago, nor were they charged down South for the other one that was going around last year.... the name of which escapes me. Someone in Hollywood has a big head about Star Trek. Too big of one meesah thinks. [face_shame_on_you]
  18. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The "Photo opportunities will be available for a fee" I don't have a big problem with if it's something special like sitting in the captain's chair or standing in the transporter area and getting a professional photo done. For me it's not being allowed to take pictures of any of the other props, models or costumes. This seems pretty restrictive when you're trying to bring in the fan base and use this as a way to get kids excited about science. Maybe they'll lighten up on it as the exhibit goes on?
    I'm also hearing the IMAX movie is really geared to kids and of very little interest to the adults.

19. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    Meh-- it'd still be neat. At least it is getting some national news to our town.

An aside: if anyone wants to see prop model replicas that weren't used on film, I know where you can go. But please, no flash photography at casa de jammies.
  20. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
    OR

We can go and cover everything with Star Wars stickers, steal spock's ears, paint "TREK DROOLS, WARZ RULES" on Kirk's chair, and replace the trebles with Ewoks.

REBELS! WOOO! REBELS!
  21. jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  22. LordZannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Mika, I agree with your statement above about the photos. I wouldn't mind so much if they were charging to take professional photos with props either. But these aren't even the real deal. Just WHAT are they thinking?? [face_not_talking]

Jammies!!! [face_laugh] I've got yer six!! Lets do it!! [face_laugh]
  23. mindtwister_138 Force Ghost

star 3

I'm in! WOOO!!! REBELS!!!
  24. Yoda_Jammies Force Ghost

star 4
  25. VoxDeamonicus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    red leader to gold leader, we're to begin the assault
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.