main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trek Expo Backdrop

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by DarthPaul1971, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPaul1971

DarthPaul1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    Ok, I just started this so we'll have a place to talk about prepartions and status of the backdrop.

We need to get ahold of Derrick, the other IMAX guy, to see about getting some of that free plywood he was talking about. If you post here and I forgot your SN sorry. Once we have the free stuff we'll know what we'll need to buy so we can get you that price list you wanted Lisa.

Gary, please let us know if you were able to get ahold of your friend about going the vinyl route. It'd be cool to know which way we are heading on this, either vinyl or paint. As far as I know this is still up in the air. Thanks.

The Expo is fast approaching and this will be the place to talk and receive updates on the backdrop....oh yeah, if you want to volunteer to help when the time comes you can do that too. Thanks to you all that have already said you'd help.

2. tx1573

tx1573 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    Available to help out Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturday nights on getting anything we need done. Let me know. Also anyone wearing armor or costumes for Expo would be great if we could all plan around doing some group shots or staged demos for the people. Just a thought.

3. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2002
    I said this at the meeting, but I want to make sure it's on the record that I'll be able to help any night as long as it's not the 21 or 22 of may becuase I have finals.

4. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I am currently one handed again due to the 2nd carpel tunnel surgery. so not going to be much help for a couple months :(

5. gw2tulsa

gw2tulsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I have an e-mail into Kelly RE: Vinyl Printing. I suspect he'll get back with me tonight or tomorrow. That will give me a better handle on just what route we want to take with things...

-Gary

6. Shadoe42

Shadoe42 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    oh yea not to muddy the waters here but another backdrop of the same type would be to build the Falcon cockpit hehe with the windows looking out over the deathstar battle. or build the thing so you could take pictures in the cockpit hehe something to think about for next year

7. gw2tulsa

Apr 6, 2002
    FYI, I told Kelley out intentions last night and hope to hear from him today. Did we have an image of our current painted mockup. I could forward that to him to better explain it I think...

-Gary

8. RogerRoger517

RogerRoger517 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I like that ideal Ed. If I understand your suggestion, you would have a background which could be on any tarp or canvas, then the frame of the cockpit that would set in front of the background. Throw in a couple of chairs for the cockpit seats and your set.

9. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    Ok, Gary I'll snap a picture of it and send it to you if you pm me with your email addy.

10. gw2tulsa

Apr 6, 2002
    Paul, just use gw2tulsa @ cox.net ,but remove the spaces... :)

-Gary

11. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    Gary, any word from Kelly?

12. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
  13. gw2tulsa

Apr 6, 2002
    sorry about the silence guys. Bree and I were down in Norman all weekend.

I think the vinyl thing it out for now. Kelly had a death in the family and will be in limited contact until it gets worked out.

I think we need to focus now on what we can do here at home...

-Gary

14. IMAXPoe

IMAXPoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    I talked to Derrick, the other IMAX guy, on Friday and told him to get in touch with Otto. That way you guys could check out the plywood he has.

Otto: Have you talked with Derrick yet?

15. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    not yet, but we now know what we are going to have to do. Paul I'll call you later about this.

16. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I talked with Derek when we went to see reloaded Saturday... he doesn't have net access guys, Otto i'm gonna PM you is number so you can call him.

17. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    Rocken Thanks I 'll call him asap

18. Slowmo

Slowmo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Out of curiosity, when is TrekExpo? Not being in Tulsa anymore I don't really get the word on things like this. I am comming to town like the 16th-22nd of June and wondering if it's during that time. I need to figure out if my Fett armor should be part of my traveling package!

Doug

19. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Behold... Webpage design at it's best!

Trek Expo

20. IMAXPoe

IMAXPoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    I talked to Otto yesterday when I ran into him at Vintage Stock.

Not literally on the ran into for all of you getting ready to make a joke about avoiding him.

He said he could get a canvas for like $27. I don't know if it would be cheaper then to build a wood or pvc frame for the canvas?

Question for Paul: Easier to paint canvas, smooth sanded plywood, or canvas with plywood backing?

21. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    hmmm either is fine. To tell the true I've never painted on canvas other than the normal artist type canvas, so I don't really know if it would be better or not. What type of canvas is it i.e. tarp type or something lighter? Plywood would work fine though. I have some putty that we can use to fill in any knots or cracks in it. Sand it and prime it and we shouldn't have any problem. Although if you make a wood frame then stretch and staple the canvas to that, could work also. Might be quite a bit lighter to manipulate that way. Again, it depends on what type of canvas it is. Whatever we decide will be fine and look great I'm sure.

22. MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002

MaStErOfThEfOrCe2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 2, 2002
    NO MORE FINALS, NO MORE BEING CALLED A STUPID FISH, WE RULE THE SCHOOL!!! Sorry, had to let it out somehow. Well, I survived the my first year of high school and passed w/ strait a's and a 4.3 grade point average. Can you all say STAR WARS SUMMER!! Aside from my summer reading for my pre-ap classes next year, I can devote my whole summer to Star Wars.

I literally can't wait to get started on the back drop. I think a canvas stapled to a wood frame would be easy to both move and paint on. I also have never painted on canvas, but had planned to do so over the summer, so I guess I got my wish. So whenever you are ready to start PM me.

Sorry for the long post.

23. Maumi

Maumi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Shelbi,
    I am very proud of you!!! 4.3 That is great!!! Go Shelbi, Go Shelbi!!!

24. DarthPaul1971

Jun 24, 2002
    Otto, still waiting on that call.

25. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    So, what's the holdup at this point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.