main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Trek in Decay...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toranaga81

Toranaga81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2003
    Take a joke Tenken. I'm a nerd myself. I love fantasy, LOTR, Trek whatever. It;s awesome! Happy Birthday by the way.

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Can't tell on the board here should be taken as a joke sometimes, since it wasn't funny. However, I apologize for the long long counters. I'm as precise and accurate as possible. Scary ain't it? Gotta watch for that... Anywho, no hard feelings and there no use in beating a dead bantha anyway so I'm dropping the subject. Thanks for the b-day wishes. :)

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Folks, in the immortal words if William Shatner; "It's just a TV show!'

And Star Wars is just a movies series.

I don't debate Star Wars and Star Trek. There is nothing to compare. I don't compare Tolkien to James Joyce.

They have nothing to do with each other. We don't debate the Star Wars series with the Bond series do we, or Dr. Who?

As far as Trek dying, I think that it can be blamed on the brain of Rick Berman. He took Star Trek and turned it into a sci-fi show no different from Lost in Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

To me Trek is Science Fiction, and witgh over 30 years of science fiction in my background, I think I speak with a little more clarity. Star Was is one of the most entertaining and succesful movie series of all time. But even it has it's flaws, especially lately. It may be possible that in 10 years, people will be crying over the death of Star Wars, especially, if Lucas really does plan on ending the Saga with episode III.

So what will Star Wars fans have left supposedly? Six movies and a lot of toys. I will not count the books for either series. Now, we will all agee that the Star Wars movies have had bad moments. And we all agree that the Star Trek franchise has had bad moments. (In the case of Enterprise, a bad seies.) But if you look at the voume of Trek out there, it stands up batter than many other entertainment franchises.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually I think LOTR wins that race thus far because that is truely the oldest and currently influential franchise in main stream media. Treks not standing anymore and is well in decay as afore mentioned.

SW is definetly in the fight and I disagree about the books. They're linear and make sense, they don't skip around to 20 different adventures that have nothing to do with one another and has a flowing story arc and timeline. The New Jedi Order will end yes, but I must say the best book I have read thus far EVER is "Traitor". It's been a big inspiration actually. Anyway, in the words of Jedi Master Bodo Baas "Many great battles yet to come, many trials, and many tests... Even though men can forget it's name the Force can never die..." (Dark Empire II)

5. Toranaga81

Jul 13, 2003
    I did forget to mention a couple things that Lucas ripped from Trek. Cloaking Devices? Shields? and how about photon torpedoes????? Lucas even admits his heavy influence from Trek. Therefore, Wars would not be what it is without Trek.

6. Rogue6

Rogue6 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THREAD I HAVE EVER READ ON THESE BOARDS!!!!!!!!!!

Toranga81, I agree with much of what you have said regarding Trek and SW.

JT, my friend, I too agree with your pts of view, but as we've talked about before, YOU TYPE TOO MUCH!!!!

Your thoroughness should be commended however, as I know you are a 'die hard' and pride yourself for knowing far too much about certain things. However, much of this 'debate' may have been unnecessary if some of the statements weren't made/or taken personally.

This is very entertaining, so I better put in my 2 cents.

I am a child of both ST and SW. As JT knows, I am a big fan of SW and he also knows my interest with ST. While I respect JT's 'dislike' for ST, he does his best to respect my views on ST. So to read this 'debate' about the two is something else.

There is a lot of truth to what everyone has said in regards to ST and SW, characters, mythology, storyline etc. What needs to be understood is that while it may be fun to 'debate' and argue both sides, they are two entire different story's with certain similarities. Perhaps the overlap conjures up arguements of 'who was first' but is that necessary or just a childish ploy?

I like both Trek TV and Movies and I enjoy the SW movies, both original and prequel. I think the modern versions of both don't quite meet the lore of the orginals, but hardly any sequel or reproduction does. What we have to understand with the modern stories are that Gene and George's visions can be fully illustrated with modern technology. Perhaps some of the story and lore was exposed and visualized with CGI, but we lost some of the mystery and imagination we would create in our own minds.

I have enjoyed everyone's opinions and I respect what everyone has said.

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Dude, this bantha dung again? Leave it alone already this has gotten pathetic and boring and no one besides you cares about Trek here because as we have stated, it's in decay and/or is dead. We both got a note from the new RSA and you want to start this trivial stuff again? If the ideas are out there, then they are out there to be borrowed and used. Trek ripped all it's stuff from other sci-fi from the beginning so don't even go there.

If anything even if Star Wars "ripped" whatever they know how to use it effectively. Hmmm... X-wing, TIE Fighter, and XvT sim games are best sellers LucasArts classics and as for cloaking devices, SW ships don't need to play hide and seek and never once have they used that technology in the movies. Even if we did in certain SW novels we have better tactics. AND btw it's PROTON torpedos in SW not "photon". If your gonna make a point get the facts right at the very least.

8. Toranaga81

Jul 13, 2003
    All Lucas did was change the H to an R, or whatever. So if this is so pathetic and trivial, then why do you waste your time replying?! Because you can't stand it. Anyway, I did say before that Trek and Wars are almost too different to debate, but you must admit that without the great Trek, that we would not have Wars. Therefore you owe your allegiance and respect.

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm afraid your mistakened as to who your addressing since you seem to think you have some status with me that you can frustrate. "great Trek" what a joke... so great that it's in decay. But your right about one thing for once, I've dealt with your petty and trivial concerns long enough concerning the validity of Trek in which it has none. I owe them NOTHING and I owe you nothing as well. Your arguments are flawed and your accusations have very little or no merit. Oh by the way open a physics book if you care to enlighten yourself on what a photon is and what a proton is. If continue to press the issue then so be it, but your actions have been noted and filed for future reference. I'm dropping the subject before it does get out of hand, but if you want to take this debate up in person, I'm game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.