main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

trekkies vs. star wars fans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DIRK_DIGGLER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DIRK_DIGGLER

DIRK_DIGGLER Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    I have just watched the movie trekkies. Now I have been a SW fans ince I was 5 years old. And I have nothing on these people. I think star wars is better than star trek. But I think star trek fans are more "hardcore" shall we say.

Your opinions?

2. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    Actually, I think we are more hardcore. Have you ever seen a trekkie go to a movie in the wierd lookin costumes?

3. Jaster81

Jaster81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Trust me, it's about the same. There are varying levels of degree for both Star Trek and Star Wars fans.

4. jedi_zach

jedi_zach Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    Star Wars is better period.I mean look at all the different stuff with star trek at least star wars keeps to the same story line I mean:Star trek deep space nine:Star trek Voyager:Star trek the next generation and fifty others none of them with the same characters or story line its so stupid.The only thing star trek has the same between all the shows is the title and all the different shows put me to sleep.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz???????????????????????????? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz???????

5. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I dunno...I'm a big fan of both...

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I've been hooked on Star Wars since 1977.

I like Star Trek, although I'm not what I could call a Trekkie or Trekker.

The Original Series is fun, the Orginal Series movies I like were all but 4 and 5. Although I should say at least ST4 is kinda funny so I can watch it without griping to much.

I could not get into DS9 at all, I watched Voayager for a couple seasons, The Next Generation was great overall.

With the right people I could easily go dressed to conventions for either SW or ST. :)

7. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I can only get into Next Gen. The old series just looks bad to me, and the new stuff just sucks.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The first few Star Trek films are alright, but everything else looks like junk.

Star Wars goes with quality over quantity.

9. jedi_zach

Nov 19, 2002
    The only thing I ever liked about star trek was the movies:The wrath of kahn-Seach for spock-A voage home.I look at it this way star wars have sith for bad guys star trek has aliens that only shoot blasters from their ship.Every show for star trek the only thing that ever happens is they go into a meteor shower or a magnetic storm and their all falling around their ship like it hurts them and it looks so fake.The weapons for good guys on star trek dinkie little no special effect fake blasters on the other hand star wars good guys have new age technology lightsabres.

10. Annika20

Annika20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2002
    I am a fan of both, for different reasons.

Trek is more realistic, becuase it is Sci fi and not fantasy, like SW...so that's why i like trek, it presents a good vision for the future.

Star Wars is awesome for different reasons, it is cool because it deals with philosophy and religion and all that great stuff...

So you can definitely be a hardcore fan of both, because I am...

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    trek did give us cell phones, but can you find one lightsabre in star trek that can slice a sith in two or one short green dude that uses the force like it's no big deal? i think not :D

12. starwarssisterleia

starwarssisterleia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2002
    Listen....I am in the 9th grade and i am planning to go to epi3 in costume. My sw friends and I DEFINITLY DO NOT LIKE STAR TREK!!!!! We are girls and a lot of the guys our age can't get enough of Star Trek. They dis Star Wars with stupid remarks like, "Well, Star Trek's ships can go faster then the ships in Star Wars...blah blah blah."

Some people only like Star Trek because of the techical stuff. I agree with the quality over quantity statement. I can never follow Star Trek. Also, their costumes are bland ;) Look at SW: Padme and Leia's costumes :)

Star Wars in definitly more hardcore because even though we may see Trekkies dress up (even though i never have) to the movies, there will always be more of SW fans dressing up for the movies.....Have any other of u ppl noticed that as well?

To close this message that is the longest message I have ever written ;), you can see that I may argue (or prove my point ;) ) a lot on different things. I'm just saying that.....

STAR WARS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!! OoOoOoOo Yeah

lol

*~Katie~*

13. jedi_zach

Nov 19, 2002
    You go sister leia.

14. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Star Trek ships faster than Star Wars ?? they talking about hyperspace speeds or dogfighting speeds. I've only see a couple star trek movies and shows..I don't remember seeing any snubfigthers in star trek so it sucked.
    I once saw this really cool picture it was a Star Destroier chasing the Enterpize or something. The sizes were totally differnt it was like watching the Star Destroier chase the Falcon.

15. bearded_one75

bearded_one75 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2002
    ST:DS9 gave us the Defiant.

PS: I've seen the name Dirk Diggler somewhere out there in the Wider World. Who is he?

16. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Dirk Diggler was Mark Wahlberg's character in "Boogie Nights".
    Well....his stage name anyway ;)

I've never been able to get into Star Trek but I respect people who have, more power to 'em and all that. Sci-fi geeks are sci-fi geeks, IMO. ;)

17. JangoxFett

JangoxFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    Both Galaxy's have there Parts. IMO. but I lean on the side of Star Wars More. I would view Trek when there is no other choice on TV.

Because I love Sci-Fi.

A wile back I heard something a bit "Scary". I heard Will Riker{sp?} from Next Gen was going to be in one of the Star Wars Prequel Films?! 8-0

I hope this does not happen. IMHO it would almost be as bad as having that "Leo Decrapeo"{sp?} as Anakin. I was very happy that did not happen. :)

IMHO the Stars of Both should never mix it up.

18. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    I like both and find it a little silly to compare them. Both deal with different things in their own unique ways. Star Wars to me will always be the best Science-Fiction/Fantasy space opera thingy (or something like that) - it tells a great, timeless story that echoes much of mythology, while Trek is the eternal optimist, dealing with more "real world" issues. This is why I don't understand why people fight over which is better... they are two completely different worlds, although I think Trek has suffered from overkill and really needs to disappear at least for a while (the absolutely awful Voyager and distinctly average Enterprise prove this to me - it's just too much).

"Star Trek ships faster than Star Wars ?? they talking about hyperspace speeds or dogfighting speeds. I've only see a couple star trek movies and shows..I don't remember seeing any snubfigthers in star trek so it sucked."

Hyperspace speeds - I believe that hyperspace in Star Wars is equivalent to Warp 1 in Trek (I could be wrong).
    Dogfighting - Try watching some of the Dominion war episodes from DS9 - those ships are FAST! Snubfighter style craft also make an appearance in some of these eps, but only briefly.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Just for your info:

Star Trek ships are listed in their own literature as being able to top out at a little over 2000 times lightspeed, this is somewhere around warp 9.3 or so. At best, without help from Q, ST ships migh get 10,000 times lightspeed for a short time.

But that is not even needed to know. The ships in Star Wars cross and entire galaxy in a matter of days, or weeks for slower ships.
    The Voyager based their entire plot around the fact that Federation ships need DECADES to cross the galaxy.
    The GFFA is slightly larger than our own. Star Wars ship speeds can be measured in MILLIONS of times lightspeed.

Anyway, I think Spock would make a cool Jedi. :cool:

20. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Star Trek and Star Wars are equal to me.

If I had a Star Trek costume, I'd wear it when I go see Nemisis next month, then again, if I had a Jedi Costume, I'd wear it to see AotC on IMAX.

Star Trek is better in a few ways, for example, Star Trek is something that actually can happen, and it makes sence in that way.

Star Wars is better than Star Trek in a few ways too. A lot of action and drama.

I watch Star Trek every night, but I pop in a Star Wars movie almost every day and watch it too.

Star Trek fans may seem a little more Hardcore because they have many conventions a year, and a lot of activities.

Star Wars fans are just as hardcore, you just can't really see it because there only a new Star Wars every three years, and after Ep3, there won't be any more Star Wars!!!

My take on it. Let me know if it doesn't make sence or I mispelled something. ;)

21. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    What I really don't get is this ingrained hate that SW fans have towards Trekkies. It is mindboggling. As somebody posted before "scifi geeks are scifi geeks" no matter what we like.

I myself are as hardcore as a Trekkie can get. I can get into hours long technical discussions over ST technology. In fact, that is one of the reasons I like ST. You can't sit down and discuss SW technology "rationally." I mean, has anybody actually explain how hyperdrives work? I can actually sit down and explain how warp drives "work." Star Wars technological explanations are basically based on EU explanations for GL's sloppy writing. The movies are plagued with tech errors, like the parsecs remarks and the "point five past lightspeed" remark. But that's ok because GL is not really a scifi author.

Anyhoo, I think that ST and SW compliment each other if you are a fan. For me, they are different fixes I need constantly. I just wish that some SW fans would just stop saying "ST sucks" and give the dang thing a chance.

22. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I agree. I was raised with Star Trek-which I love and I was raised on Star Wars which I love.

I don't compare which one is better and which one is worse. I enjoy all the films on both spectrums-except Wrath of Kahn, can't stand that movie.

23. starwarssisterleia

starwarssisterleia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2002
  24. ballz-on-chinion

ballz-on-chinion Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    jedi_Zach wrote:Star Wars is better period.I mean look at all the different stuff with star trek at least star wars keeps to the same story line I mean:Star trek deep space nine:Star trek Voyager:Star trek the next generation and fifty others none of them with the same characters or story line its so stupid.The only thing star trek has the same between all the shows is the title and all the different shows put me to sleep.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz???????????????????????????? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz???????.

I'm not what you'd call much of a fan but I think you are being too hard and quick to judge it. In TNG they had Dr. McCoy,Spock,Scotty,& Kirk in Various ep. as the series went on. DS-9 had Picard, Q, and several others from TNG during it's run and Voyager had The Borg, Q, Riker.

Star Ears has never stayed with the same story line all this time in the OT we saw the rise of the young Jedi Luke Skywalker and in the new Trilogy we see the fall of the Republic and the fall of the Jedi Nights as well as the rise of the Empire. In the Novels we see a lot of really great stories but to me that had a Star Trek feel to it with all the different story arcs and aliens Luke han and the others encountered.

In the New jedi Order we see the rise of a new threat with the Vong, That to me seems like different stories to me, besides if something stays the same to long it getts really old fast, kinda like the story about the Yuuzhan Vong.

25. Alybrylla

Alybrylla Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    My parents loved Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I just never got into it. *shrugs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.